This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

About those Delta PSu we have, anyone have the datasheets for DNA1002 and DNA1001?
    days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Hi Yanz

Not that I know of here but PeteS has post a bit of info in these forums
      Link here stating that they are custom made ASIC...(I think it was)

The DNA1001D being "functionally similar to the UC3854 and UC3842
      combines a PFC controller and a PWM"

The DNA1002D will most likely contain "error amplifier, opto driver and a bunch of comparators with a reference for fault detection."

This from my query to him (Thanks Pete)

He does "NOT" have block or pin out diagram for these chips
      (so please all spare him his pm box )

His best advice was to contact Delta Electronics and ask support

(I haven't as yet..yeah I know slacker )

My searches on the net have proved fruitless Yantz
      (not to say info isn't out there I just haven't found it)
      Last edited by starfury1; 11-14-2006, 12:21 AM.
      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Here was my PM on this topic to Starfury:
        These two ICs are Delta proprietary parts. Unfortunately, I don't have specs or pin-outs. The one on the primary side (1001?) combines a PFC controller and a PWM (functionally similar to the UC3854 and UC3842). If the controller bd. is only half populated, the PFC section is not used. The one on the secondary side contains an error amplifier, opto driver and a bunch of comparators with a reference for fault detection.

My suggestion would be to send an e-mail to Delta's Sales and Support office, either in the UK or the US which can be found on this webpage. Ask them to e-mail you a pin-out diagram and a block diagram of the two ICs ...
        The specific suggestion of the US or UK offices has to do with Starfury being from the Land of OZ.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thanks pete

Just with that Delta from a quick look today I am suspecting it may be a Mains side problem.

I would have that that even if shutdown protection circuits were firing to protect it, it should give some glimmer of life...there is none.

Our mains power here can be at times brutal, its killed a tv or two here.

Anyway got a cheapie coming to replace it, so it will be a project just to know why it died.

Its an old HP box I was going to use to play with linux
          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Macase 250W ATX - looks like Macron power OEM. They're nice except for the caps sometimes.

Comment

Yeah nice of them to put a line filter IEC connector for mains in.

As to the Caps they all appear to be the same except possibly for those 2 blue electro's mid section.

Don't know the brand off hand, but sure someone does here

Looks like I yank this one none too soon.

Really must pull the Enermax and check it...been running for about 5 years or more now.

That box now has the Gigabyte MB in it that I recapped.
              Same deal as willawake's post on GB MB (zx7 or something)

Comment

hey guys 1st post

@Power EP-43057 430 watt psu i got from a $20 pc case, i would be scared to load this thing at 200 watts let alone 430 - the wires are thin too

I'm not sure what brand these caps are, they seem to have some kind of company symbol, but that's it
                AMD Athlon64 3800+ | 1.5gb Patriot PC2 6400 | dual 250 gig WD drives RAID 0 | OCZ Powerstream 520 watt | 7900gt

Comment

Looks like DEER.

Comment

UL number traces back to "Power Tech Industrial Co LTD", whoever they are. Same cheap crap as Deer/L&C, anyway.
                    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                    Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

starfury1 & Petes, thanks a lot
                      Attached Files
                      days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Re that 160W Samsung P/S, the PCB has "Samsung" in the silkscreen, so I'm guessing Samsung actually designed it. The first four characters in the S/N suggest it was built in February, 1998. IIRC, Samsung built late 90s - early 00s iMacs, including the P/S (which, IIRC, was built on the MB).
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

hitachi made that dna chip.
                          case style and lettering give it away.
                          look in old hitachi books for a possible match.

Comment

No worries Yanz

Found info via google which lead me back here to PeteS reply posted awhile back

kc8adu mentioned hitachi (thanks) and that was the only other thing that kept falling out but no pdf's or docs could I find

Japlytic has posted some info on pinout (part schematic) of the other chip DNA1002
                            in the orginal post from "larrymoencurly"

Delta proprietary chips? What are they?

I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU too, to all who help shed a bit more light on these chips

Welcome MarioMaster

Cheers all

Comment

Re the Touch SP9627, that is a flyback design, where the "output inductor" is the primary of the transformer. Those little ferrite rod inductors are just for high frequency spike suppression. Clues: low power, single switch device, 400V I/P lytic (probably wide-range I/P voltage or 230VAC only), not active PFC (age and no PFC inductor) and no toroidal or E-core O/P inductor. Probably a UC384X family PWM or maybe a UC290X. The +5V Stby uses a Power Integrations TopSwitch (TOP 220, I think). Looks pretty solid.

That "200W" P/S looks scary. Unapproved X- and Y-caps, really skimpy heatsinks, rather small main transformer, primary and secondary wires bundled together using the fan wires, without reinforced insulation. Probably a half-bridge inverter design with a TL494//KA2500B PWM. Probably uses clones of Motorola's MJE13007 or MJE13009 bipolar transistors, with no DC-blocking cap to keep the transformer core from walking into saturation due to slight pulse width variations. The smaller of the two transformers provides base (or gate) drive; no obvious drive transistors, so the internal drive of the PWM is used for that function, which means the base drive is kind of wimpy.
                              PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                That "200W" P/S looks scary. Unapproved X- and Y-caps, really skimpy heatsinks, rather small main transformer, primary and secondary wires bundled together using the fan wires, without reinforced insulation. Probably a half-bridge inverter design with a TL494//KA7500 PWM. Probably uses clones of Motorola's MJE13007 or MJE13009 bipolar transistors, with no DC-blocking cap to keep the transformer core from walking into saturation due to slight pulse width variations. The smaller of the two transformers provides base (or gate) drive; no obvious drive transistors, so the internal drive of the PWM is used for that function, which means the base drive is kind of wimpy.
                                The transistors are NEC 2SC2335, and the DC blocking cap (1uF) is a bit hard to see in the photo. There are only 4 transistors; two for the output and the other two for the driver transformer.
                                An output transformer that size would be typical in most supplies that age.
                                The overcurrent detection circuit is similar to modern ATX supplies which use a single transformer for output trasistor drving and current sensing.
                                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

That Kobian is DEER. I have 6 PSUs (and more are coming) branded as "PREMIER LC-B300ATX" which look about the same inside and they all had exactly this problem.

Comment

Re the "Kobian Mercury ATX PSU", what a POS! Wimpy I/P rectifiers, wimpy heatsinks, wimpy transformer - 200W would be scary. WTH is that leaded dual-diode-kludge?! What O/P is it on? I see two TO-220 rectifiers and that kludge ... and the high current O/Ps are 28A (+3.3V), 40A (+5V) and 17A (+12V). Right! Does it toast marshmallows if you try to draw that much current from any of those O/Ps?

Last edited by PeteS in CA; 12-15-2006, 04:00 PM.
                                    PeteS in CA

Comment

beavis and butthead fire chant in background....

Comment

Yep larry. Antec's SP-400. The outer shell kind of gave it away, but this, probably for the 1000th time, reinforces the fact that Fujjy's are far too unreliable to be recommended.

What do y'all think about the Astec unit?
                                        Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                                        Zippy GSM-6600P
                                        Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                                        Abit IP35Pro
                                        ATi HD4870

Comment

Looks like a bigger version of the 200w ones Astec built for Gateway midtowers (late socket 7 and slot 1). They were pretty bulletproof for me - full of Chemicons mainly. The Newtons they used sometimes later on weren't bad either though.

What're the maximum output ratings on that one?
                                          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                                          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Working...
                                          X