This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

i got it on ebay cheap just out of curiosity.it was gently used for a short while but had unaceptable ripple on +12.the general appearence inside and out shows short usage in a clean envionment.
    about 1v p-p
    i recapped it and now +12 is only showing 50mv p-p
    only a single 2200@16 on that line.
    a 3300@16 fm was a tight squeeze.
    btw i told the seller why i got it and that it would be posted here.
    the results do not in any way infer wrongdoing by the seller though.
    i bet lot of folks are running psu's in worse shape than this one with no ill effects.
    and how many users have a scope anyway.

Comment

I recapped one FSP350-60PN yesterday. It had bulging 2200uF/16V fuhjyyu on 12V line. It also had one jamicon and the rest were teapos. Unit had been running about two years when I decided to take a look inside. Recapped all output caps with nichicon pl. Also replaced the 35V cap in controller board supply voltage (aux output cap) with somewhat larger 50V cap. Hopefully it's ok now for an another couple of years.

I also bought a nexus 350W silent ps for a home fileserver project (that was about the only thing available at the moment). I've yet to decide what to do with it since it's all teapo inside... seems quite decent other than that. What would you suggest? Run it for a while and recap or recap straight away?

Comment

Originally posted by killjoy
        I also bought a nexus 350W silent ps for a home fileserver project (that was about the only thing available at the moment). I've yet to decide what to do with it since it's all teapo inside... seems quite decent other than that. What would you suggest? Run it for a while and recap or recap straight away?
        I would suggest you to setup fan monitoring for the PSU fan, and have it emergency shutdown if it fails, mine did and got so hot as to unsolder the components ont he primary side, leading to a big boom!
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Re: Hiper Type-R "580W"

How can new products are still using the fuhjyyu craps? grr..
          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

May be they are for the fast buck`s anyone is abouth today?

Comment

This morning my Deer DR-250ATX W blew within 5 seconds of powerup; normal minimum loads, no prior issues- pffft & brown stinky cloud- surprise!

But here's a switch: Rubycon 16 v 2200 uF blew. Did a closeup of a fine crack at the top seam I didn't see at first.

In the background is the insulation just starting to peel back from the coil. I suspect it wasn't always like that. First time I opened it. '02 probably out of warrentee anyway.
              Diode & resistor area of board by fan looks a little suspect- haven't yanked it out yet. MBoard looks ok.
              Attached Files
              "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. " Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Comment

Is it really a Rubycon (not Rulycon)?

Comment

That's a Rulycon right there in Attachment #1. No surprise there.
                  You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                  Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
                    YH-ATX350W
                    (PT DHANA CIPTA DINAMIKA)

All caps are Capxon. None are bulged/leaking.

3.3v -> 1x 1000uF 10v
                    5v -> 1x 1000uF 10v, 1x 2200uf 10v
                    12v -> 1x 1000uF 16v

Bridge rectifier diodes:

2x RL206
                    2x IN4007

Regulator/controller:

Daewoo DBL 494 (cooked)
                    SEC KA7805 (on secondary heatsink)

On secondary heatsink:

SBL3040PT @ 5V -> 30A 40V rated schottky diodes
                    MOSPEC F06C20C @ 12V -> 6A 20V rated schottky diodes (OMG, the PSU label says 16A!)
                    MOROCCO P3020L (?)-> one leg connected to 3.3v and one leg connected to 5v.
                    I have seen a similar or identical power supply board which the sticker on the power supply claimed it could put out 250W. It was old, no P4 12V plug.

All caps were CapXon too.

Brand was generic, "PRO-POWER"
                    My gaming PC:
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

This are Rulycon, the IMHO i think the font is the wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Shroomie
                        That's a Rulycon right there in Attachment #1. No surprise there.
                        D'OH!! Right. Hats/ visors off to all. ( I know, hard vacuum...) THANK YOU!
                        I'll hang up on myself.
                        here's a closeup of unRuly_CON
                        Attached Files
                        "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. " Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          What a POS! Wimpy heatsinks, no AC filter, and the I/P lytics, main transformer, and O/P inductors are probably about right for about 250W-300W. I don't think those tiny O/P caps will handle the ripple current that supplying 500W continuous would entail. Probably TL494 PWM - a UC384X family PWM would be better.
                          That Best Power 500W in my opinion is a good cheap power supply, and its weight is about the weight of an average-quality power supply.

I would say it is better than L&C, Deer, and Powmax power supplies.

I would give it a 4 star rating overall.
                          My gaming PC:

Comment

Yes, it looks similar to other Macrons I've seen. Only the label is wrong Do you have photo of the label?

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
                              Yes, it looks similar to other Macrons I've seen. Only the label is wrong Do you have photo of the label?
                              Here is the picture of the label Rainbow.

My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                                I have seen a similar or identical power supply board which the sticker on the power supply claimed it could put out 250W. It was old, no P4 12V plug.

All caps were CapXon too.

Brand was generic, "PRO-POWER"
                                yeah, like déjà vu all over again
                                days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
                                  Pete and gonzo, in this case, one huge 400V cap stores the energy and the second brown cap proides the filtering? Would using two huge Blue caps be overkill? Also, why don't I see any metal-polymer (polyester, tantalum etc) caps in there? I know 400VDC caps of this nature exsist, but why are they not being used? Tantalum especially, to cut down harmonic noise?in electronic ckts I use, I've always used two lytics and two Tantalums to decouple harmonics in the power line to the IC's i.e supply to the VCC and -VEE.

Well, i tink it is a cost issue too. The smaller cap is probably for an other stage, i think this unit do realy have two or more independent lines. I doubth, that in this wattage area, they can use the next bigger transformer to get that high power over it. They probably are forced to use more than one seperate transformer, thus they build one line for the 12v and one stage for the 3,3v & 5v, if they are smart. I have never seen any A-PFC unit, wich would have had more than one i/P lytic.

Regarding those tantalums and paper / plastic caps, i think the tantalums are expensive and prone for failure if rapidly charged /discharged and not very durable. Furthermore, they are IMHO not availiable in high voltage. Metallpaper /foil caps are prohibitive expensive, especially the higher uF rated ones. Thus they are only used, where some safety agencies made it mandatory.

Comment

Pete and gonzo, in this case, one huge 400V cap stores the energy and the second brown cap proides the filtering?
                                    If the two are in parallel they will share both functions. If, hypothetically, the large cap is 470uF and the second cap is 150uF, the net capacitance will be 620uF. Thus, adding the smaller cap will increase the energy stored by more than 30%. On the other hand, the ripple current will have two parallel paths. So if the ESR of the larger cap is 30 milliohms and the ESR of the smaller cap is 60 milliohms, the net ESR will be 20 milliohms. The extra cap decreased the net ESR by 33% and therefore the component of V(ripple) that is due to the ESR was also decreased by 33%.
                                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Roger that Pete and gonzo. Quite a simple reason after all. Any other interesting things you see in there?
                                      Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                                      Zippy GSM-6600P
                                      Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                                      Abit IP35Pro
                                      ATi HD4870

Comment

Hi All
                                        just post in photo forum "Old Delta Electronics PSU"....bugger hit ten min thing so the zip doesn't show DOH...anyway if anyone really wants them let me know.
                                        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Hi all

not sure if its ST90A905 or 339?

It's STMicro's version of an LM339, a quad GP comparator. The 90A905 is the date/lot/fab code. The P/S was built in 1999; UCC/Nichicon O/P caps and Teapo I/P caps.

Thanks again PeteS , thought it would be just that the 90XXXX stuck out like a sore thumb on it, when you tend to find this type of thing at the top bottom (it threw me and had me wondering)

Arneson, Jim.....
                                          I'd be curious to see the spec sheet on where each gob of silicone is supposed to go.
                                          It seems to be smushed over anything that might vibrate.
                                          probably called "pro hart style" mate.. throw it and see were it lands LOL

BTW,
                                          Do you people think the pics have too much/little (which ever) contrast?
                                          If so I will back it off next time

anyway project for sometime when I get time

cheers all
                                          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
                                          X