Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing 8 Caps on motherboard and 2 on PSU - which ones are good replacements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing 8 Caps on motherboard and 2 on PSU - which ones are good replacements?

I have noticed that my ASUS mobo has infamous Nippon KZG caps and one of them is bulging which means that others are soon to follow, also the PSU powering it Chieftec 360W has 2 leaked capacitors Jepon CE-LE. I would have thrown out the PSU but because it is very rare to find one with powerful 5V line and 20 Pin I am going to fix it. Both of this are for retro PC so not used quite often. Both caps have following rating: 6.3V 3300uF 105 C. As for size Jepons are 10 mm x 25 mm, while KZG are 10mm x ~22,5 mm which seems odd size for capacitor. PSU caps can't be higher than 25 mm since there is barely any space left already.

I have read forum looking for replacement and many people recommended Rubycons / Nippon Chemi-con / Panasonic or Nichicon. I have found these Rubycon MCZ https://allegro.pl/oferta/kondensato...-10-7303193344 . I heard that these are discounted and there is mostly fake floating around, can the ones I listed are also fake?

I looked on RS online for caps but they have these:
    Nichicon VY , VZ
    Rubycon PX
    Panasonic NHG type A, FR type A

Not the widely recommended MBZ, MCZ, HM, HN etc. Are these caps also worth the money? Can I use same cap on both the motherboard and PSU?

Re: Replacing 8 Caps on motherboard and 2 on PSU - which ones are good replacements?

please tell us what is the model number of the asus board or post pics of it so we can study the cpu vrm and what cpu and vintage it is to recommend replacements for u. ultra low esr electrolytic caps like mbz, mcz, hm, hn, hz have ceased production for nearly a decade now so any u get are likely fakes.

u cant use the same cap series on motherboards and psus because motherboards require super-low or ultra-low esr caps while psus generally cant take that. psus typically only accept normal low esr or general purpose caps unless the psu is the flyback design type of psu. post pics of the insides of the chieftec psu or tell us the exact model number of the chieftec psu u have so we can look up pics of it online to study the psu topology to recommend proper replacements for u. also what is the capacitance and voltage of the leaking jepon ce-le cap?

Comment

Re: Replacing 8 Caps on motherboard and 2 on PSU - which ones are good replacements?

Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
      PSU: Chieftec HPC-306-302-DF

Same as KZG which is 6.3V 3300uF

Comment

Since I can't edit my post, I will reply here. I did some of PSU photos, you can see leak on one of Jepon capacitors, and I just noticed something (burn marks?) near the pink thing (I have no idea what is that), is that thing also busted and is it possible to replace it?
        Attached Files

Comment

The "pink thing" is a pre-load resistor. I think it's

Red - Green - Gold - Gold = 2.5 ohm, 5%

or

Violet - Green - Gold - Gold = 7.5 ohm, 5%

I think it might be a 2W or 3W resistor.

While physically damaged, it might be OK. The brown/black is because it gets hot and that heatsink and wires impede airflow while the device on the heatsink is a source of additional heat. If you need to or want to replace it, raise it higher off the PCB by 3-5 mm, as that will reduce heat damage to the PCB.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
            The "pink thing" is a pre-load resistor. I think it's

Red - Green - Gold - Gold = 2.5 ohm, 5%

or

Violet - Green - Gold - Gold = 7.5 ohm, 5%

I think it might be a 2W or 3W resistor.

While physically damaged, it might be OK. The brown/black is because it gets hot and that heatsink and wires impede airflow while the device on the heatsink is a source of additional heat. If you need to or want to replace it, raise it higher off the PCB by 3-5 mm, as that will reduce heat damage to the PCB.
            Actually when I take second look on PSU the last(?) "ring" on resistor is neither red or violet but brown. Some of camera filters most likely mixed up colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Macieyerk View Post
              I have noticed that my ASUS mobo has infamous Nippon KZG caps and one of them is bulging which means that others are soon to follow
              Yes, KZG-series on 2004 motherboards (or near there) really suck. On my 2004 Asus A7N8X-X, (basically just a stripped A7N8X-E Deluxe with most OC'ing features still there)
              At least 6 of them were bulging, when just sitting in the house, IIRC! And at least a few, IIRC, were doing its version of an Italian mountain. Saw the KZG version of lava!
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-06-2019, 06:38 PM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

the burned shit is glue - scrape it off.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  the burned shit is glue - scrape it off.
                  I scraped it off, why was there glue in first place? Now when I look at the resistor the last ring kinda looks like dark violet, my eyes playing tricks with me, I need to look at it with natural light.

Comment

the glue was to stabilise the resistor in shipping, you find a lot of this glue in psu's - and you want to get rid of it all.

btw, looks purple to me, so 7.5ohms
                    Last edited by stj; 03-06-2019, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Anyway resistor looks fine to me, so I will leave as it is. I still don't know tho which capacitors should I use for replacement.

Comment

lose the glue, it becomes conductive and shorts stuff out.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          lose the glue, it becomes conductive and shorts stuff out.
                          I did it, now I need caps to replace. Which ones available would you recommend?
                          Last edited by Macieyerk; 03-07-2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

for a psu?
                            panasonic FC,FM,FK and maybe FR
                            there are other brands, but i'm a panasonic user.

Comment

That power supply was probably built in August of 2003. So I'd suggest Nichicon PW, Nippon Chemi-Con LXZ, or Panasonic FC. Those are pretty much equivalents, so go with price and availability.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Okay, and which one for motherboard would you suggest?
                                Last edited by Macieyerk; 03-07-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Macieyerk View Post
                                  Okay, and which one for motherboard would you suggest?
                                  Since ultra-low ESR capacitors are no longer made, the choices are really either going with polymer replacements or Panasonic FM, FR, and FS. Worth noting is that neither of these last three are quite up to spec to Chemicon KZG, but they are reasonably close, so the motherboard will be OK with them.

You could also do a mix of polymers and electrolytic caps.

As for PSU caps, PeteS made an important note that this is an older PSU and recommended entry-level low-ESR caps. To elaborate more on that, any of the following capacitor brands/series should be fairly close to what's in the PSU right now:
                                  Nichicon PW, PJ, PS, PM, and HE*
                                  Rubycon YXJ
                                  United Chemicon LXZ, LXV, LXY, KY*, and KYB*
                                  Panasonic FC and FK*

Note: all caps marked with a * may not be a good replacement for your PSU. But if none of the other brands and series are available, you may use them then (that is, use the caps marked with * only if you have no other choice.)

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    Since ultra-low ESR capacitors are no longer made, the choices are really either going with polymer replacements or Panasonic FM, FR, and FS. Worth noting is that neither of these last three are quite up to spec to Chemicon KZG, but they are reasonably close, so the motherboard will be OK with them.

You could also do a mix of polymers and electrolytic caps.

As for PSU caps, PeteS made an important note that this is an older PSU and recommended entry-level low-ESR caps. To elaborate more on that, any of the following capacitor brands/series should be fairly close to what's in the PSU right now:
                                    Nichicon PW, PJ, PS, PM, and HE*
                                    Rubycon YXJ
                                    United Chemicon LXZ, LXV, LXY, KY*, and KYB*
                                    Panasonic FC and FK*

Note: all caps marked with a * may not be a good replacement for your PSU. But if none of the other brands and series are available, you may use them then (that is, use the caps marked with * only if you have no other choice.)
                                    Mixing polymer and electrolytic caps? How would that work? And what about replacing KZG for polymer, cons and pros?
                                    As for PSU capacitor I will go with Panasonic FC type A

Comment

the issue with polymers is that they dont come in such high capacitance, 3300uF, as required by the board. the highest for polymers is 2700uF. another issue is that the cpu vrm for the board uses a medium or low switching frequency as the coils have at least 6 turns of three parallel wires each. therefore, it prefers high capacitance rather than low esr, so u cant drop the capacitance too much.

for the motherboard, try to see if u can get 3300uF 6.3v 10x25mm panasonic fr caps or the 3300uF 6.3v 10x20mm panasonic fs caps in your country.

Comment

I ordered Panasonic FR and FC caps. Thank you all for your answers.

Comment

Working...
                                        X