Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could my TV be frying my consoles?

I have a Panasonic TX-50CX802B.

I've always had intermittent issues (flickering or PC not detecting TV) which I put down to buying cheap HDMI cables, or the cables getting bent up but I'm now concerned it's something worse.

Could my TV be damaging my other hardware? I've listed my symptoms below.

Thanks for your help.

XBOX (via Yamaha RX-V385)
    This month my XBOX One S died and I identified that the problem was the HDMI Retimer IC.

PS4 (via Yamaha RX-V385)
    My PS4 has white flickering intermittently in the bottom half of the screen. Very occasionally it completely loses signal for 5 seconds or so.

PC (via Yamaha RX-V385
    Intermittent issues with screen disconnects. Sometimes the machine doesn't boot (this could be unrelated).

(via TV directly on a separate HDMI port to the amp)
    Recent: As of the last week I have sound pops, static and stutter in all sounds. If I play a Youtube video the screen flickers on and off.
    Last edited by jonnyapps; 03-05-2019, 05:40 AM. Reason: Corrected title

Re: Could my TV be frying my consoles?

Wonder if it's your yamaha, do you have the same problems if take it out of equation?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
      Wonder if it's your yamaha, do you have the same problems if take it out of equation?
      Originally posted by jonnyapps View Post
      (via TV directly on a separate HDMI port to the amp)
      Recent: As of the last week I have sound pops, static and stutter in all sounds. If I play a Youtube video the screen flickers on and off.
      The problem changed/intensified when I removed the amp from the equation with the PC. I can't test the XBOX as it's now in the bin, but I will test the PS4 when I get home.

Comment

what the heck does this mean ... "I've always had intermittent issues (flickering or PC not detecting TV) which I put down to buying cheap HDMI cables, or the cables getting bent up but I'm now concerned it's something worse." ????? A tv doesn't jump up and down to bend cables or other things.

IF your cabling is not run properly, then in the hdmi universal, this is asking for trouble as the pins in the connectors are very close together along with the protocols used in the signalling are very exacting. Thus, any shorts or opens are going to be bad. This can be further "amplified" by having intermediate devices in the path. The hdmi standard did not include specifics for things like switches / AVR in the path to handle multi sources and sinks but manufacturers attempt to provides these "useful conveniences" while trying to maintain the protocol paths as good as possible.

Good CERTIFIED cables are the basic starting point. Then ensuring connections / connectors have not been compromised by improper cabling / poor routing. Things like strain relief may need to be considered along with equipment design (ie. angles on connectors versus space from restrictions / cabinentry / walls).

As suggested, the normal process for elimination of possible causes is to reduce the connection path ... one source, one sink along with distance and good certified cable. Depending on the outcome of this setup, you move your troubleshooting in a given direction.

Further, as suggested, your most likely cause of failures is your AVR which all sources are going thru... none of those are "talking" directly with your TV, yet you are "blaming" the TV. :-)
        Last edited by budwich; 03-05-2019, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Don't blame the TV yet.

You have a 4K TV, a 4K AVR, and an XBOX One S capable of 4K playback. You need well-made HDMI cables designed for 4K with suitable shielding and good insulation, that are not bent or kinked or mis-shapen.

HDMI cables carry low voltage signal wires, but also have power and ground wires which can transmit lots of damaging energy in a short-circuit.

Why do people spend thousands of dollars on expensive electronics like 4K TVs, 4K AVRs and XBOXs just to stab themselves in the back buying cheap junk cables?

Spend some money and buy good cables - you will truly regret cheap junk cables, especially when they fail because they have thinner insulation and poor grounding/shielding. And especially when junk cables burn out your expensive components.

If you are using the original Microsoft cable that came with your XBOX One S then that is a well made cable, but if you are using cheap junk cables, REPLACE THOSE FIRST.

Also:

HDMI cables should never be plugged and unplugged with the power ON for any of the devices connected. Yes I know people always plug and unplug things and never consider it, but really this is the leading cause of damage to HDMI cables and/or the expensive electronics they are connecting. Your XBOX retimer IC probably failed because of being plugged or unplugged while being ON. Switching inputs of already connected devices should generally be ok - I'm referring to humans physically connecting and disconnecting things.

Now, as Budwich has mentioned, you could be having a "HDMI handshaking" issue. Try connecting each HDMI device to the TV directly instead of going through the AVR. This can help isolate issues.

On another note, your PS4 issue on lower half of screen is not indicative of an HDMI problem... You would get a picture, or your would not get a picture, there is no half a picture with HDMI... This could be a TV thing, or your AVR could be applying some conditioning of the HDMI signal by upscaling or downscaling or HDCP (high definition content protection)...
          Last edited by Unspun01; 03-05-2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
            what the heck does this mean ... "I've always had intermittent issues (flickering or PC not detecting TV) which I put down to buying cheap HDMI cables, or the cables getting bent up but I'm now concerned it's something worse." ????? A tv doesn't jump up and down to bend cables or other things.
            What I mean is my PC is in a cupboard which made it a bit hard to reach and the HDMI cable always felt a bit loose in the back of the GPU, so I assumed 'it's that fiddly cable, no need to worry'.

I am testing now with the PC connected direct to the TV and the amp unplugged (from the TVs ARC HDMI). I have replaced the 'Cabletex' branded high speed HDMI cable with an Amazon Basics one and the issue is resolved (the issue remained when PC was direct into TV on the old cable).

I feel like I have gone through a few HDMI cables recently as they seem to fail, so I guess I need to read up on what constitutes a good, long-lasting cable. I had assumed that if it works, 'it works'.

One final thing of note: With no HDMI cable plugged in to the TV I get a 'vibrating' mild electricity/static feeling from the TV 'case'. If I plug in the HDMI and connect it to the PC, the buzz/vibration goes away...

Comment

I feel like I have gone through a few HDMI cables recently as they seem to fail, so I guess I need to read up on what constitutes a good, long-lasting cable. I had assumed that if it works, 'it works'.
              Even cheap HDMI cables can last many years. But cheap cables will not tolerate mis-treatment as well as GOOD cables. And even good cables will be damaged if you are not careful.

Something YOU are doing is damaging the cables.

If you are bending or kinking the cables, or trying to plug them in by reaching around from the back at some weird angle instead of pulling or pushing them in straight, Or plugging the cables in and then pushing your computer or device back against a wall then you are damaging your equipment.

One final thing of note: With no HDMI cable plugged in to the TV I get a 'vibrating' mild electricity/static feeling from the TV 'case'. If I plug in the HDMI and connect it to the PC, the buzz/vibration goes away...
              STOP RIGHT THERE! You are in the UK, therefore you have 240V line voltage...

Are your devices all powered from EXACTLY THE SAME OUTLET in the same room? Or are you powering devices from multiple outlets, possibly fed from different circuits in your home?

If you use extension cords from another room, or have one device plugged into a receptacle in Room A, then connected by an HDMI cable running to a device plugged into a receptacle in Room B, then you could have a 240VAC voltage difference between different circuits and you could be blowing up your own equipment in addition to the poor treatment you are giving your HDMI cables.

If the tingling sensation goes away when the HDMI cable is connected, then you have some line voltage creeping into the circuit path... By connecting the cable, you may be completing a ground path or "earth" path... You should never feel that tingling sensation because it means you have enough voltage present to be dangerous.

That voltage may be appearing because of ungrounded equipment, or unintentional connection of devices on two or more electrical circuits, or sometimes it can be introduced by coaxial cable-connected TV cable equipment from cable or telephone company...

Please let us know how your devices are connected.
              Last edited by Unspun01; 03-05-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

your tv has a neutral and / or ground issue.... that's pretty dangerous to you forget your equipment... you need to address that.

Comment

Neutral=Overvoltage on one leg and undervoltage on the other leg.

You should measure the voltages of different wall outlets though your household.

And one of the symptoms to look for:

Voltage increasing when an appliance comes on. (as if the appliance is wired in series)
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-05-2019, 07:46 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Unspun01 View Post

STOP RIGHT THERE! You are in the UK, therefore you have 240V line voltage...

Are your devices all powered from EXACTLY THE SAME OUTLET in the same room? Or are you powering devices from multiple outlets, possibly fed from different circuits in your home?

If you use extension cords from another room, or have one device plugged into a receptacle in Room A, then connected by an HDMI cable running to a device plugged into a receptacle in Room B, then you could have a 240VAC voltage difference between different circuits and you could be blowing up your own equipment in addition to the poor treatment you are giving your HDMI cables.

If the tingling sensation goes away when the HDMI cable is connected, then you have some line voltage creeping into the circuit path... By connecting the cable, you may be completing a ground path or "earth" path... You should never feel that tingling sensation because it means you have enough voltage present to be dangerous.

That voltage may be appearing because of ungrounded equipment, or unintentional connection of devices on two or more electrical circuits, or sometimes it can be introduced by coaxial cable-connected TV cable equipment from cable or telephone company...

Please let us know how your devices are connected.
                    The TV is connected directly to the wall. My other appliances are off an extension cable from a socket at the wall about 1 metre away from the TV's socket.

The TV had this issue in my previous home as well where everything was hooked up to one large extension cable.

Thanks for the continued advice.

EDIT - I have previously discussed the awful light uniformity of this TV, in case it is somehow relevant: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67479
                    Last edited by jonnyapps; 03-06-2019, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                      Neutral=Overvoltage on one leg and undervoltage on the other leg.

You should measure the voltages of different wall outlets though your household.

And one of the symptoms to look for:

Voltage increasing when an appliance comes on. (as if the appliance is wired in series)
                      Can I do this with a multimeter? I have one but am not experienced with using it.

Comment

Can I do this with a multimeter? I have one but am not experienced with using it.
                        Yes, you can. You have to take measurements with major appliances turned on!
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

the min / max feature comes in real handy, if your DMM has it.

Comment

Working...
                          X