Dual transformer power supply build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dual transformer power supply build

You mean like this ? I believe you're suggesting to wire the outputs in series only when needed and leave them separate for two 48v outputs, as otherwise this setup would not allow me to have the two 48v outputs AND the 96v output simultaneously the way I pictured it. It COULD work at the same time, but common grounding would be impossible: touch the 96v GND (bottom) to the 48v GND (middle) and you short out D-F the way I see it...not that any device would ever require a 48v AND 96v input, but still better to prevent the average Joe form connecting the two GNDs together thinking they're common...

Not the most practical approach, since I'll have this inside a case and the 48v outputs will go straight to the input of the two DC-DC converters, however this does give me an idea for a switch/relay gizmo to toggle between the two "modes". I know, I know, mechanical switches+DC = bad idea (arcing), but I'll think of something nonetheless...I was already thinking of this with my previous 3-rectifier setup: when in "96v unregulated mode", a switch would cut two of the AC inputs going to the rectifiers on the right and leave only the end windings connected to the center rectifier (to prevent accidental connection of GNDs which is not possible). In DC-DC mode, the link between the taps would get cut and the two AC inputs would be restored...it was just an idea and haven't lain it on paper yet...contact acing would be the biggest issue, but I was already working around that with some sort of soft-start, which we'll discuss later perhaps...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dannyx; 02-25-2019, 11:47 AM.
    Wattevah...

Comment

Just like this, with 4 outputs, banana plugs? connect the + of one to the - of the other to have +96 volts output
      Connect the - of both outputs and + of both outputs for 48 volts double the the current.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so I was half-right...I'm not sure how well these DC-DC converters play with each other in series/parallel. Speaking of that: IS it possible to parallel/series a switch mode DC-DC converter like that ? :|
        Wattevah...

Comment

Good ones should be ok, cheap from China who knows. Looks like they recommend using diodes when connecting them in series
          http://www.deltapsu.com/faqs
          Attached Files

Comment

Makes sense I guess, though the safest (and probably not the ideal) way to go is to series/parallel before them entirely.
            Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
            X