"Upgrading" a Weller WECP-20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Upgrading" a Weller WECP-20?

As I mentioned in other thread, there's some weller trouble - so I thought I'd ask: Would it be possible to mod a WECP-20 (50W) with 85W transformer to supply a WP80 soldering iron? I know the pinout on the iron and supply do not match, but that's just a small thing. The control board seems to be ok for more watts than just 50.

Re: "Upgrading" a Weller WECP-20?

Drill the missing 7th whole in the connector. As long as you do not require 100% duty cycle the WECP can handle this. It might have some little hum while heating.

Comment

That thought hadn't even crossed my mind Will have to try that - as sourcing a suitable transformer has failed.

Comment

Hehe, finally got around to do this, though I didn't have a drill to work with. Just plain soldering iron, with some stiff copper wire wrapped on it - on I went. The transformer indeed does hum a bit, and stops at some point, but this could be that I had just WP80 to go with. Overall - satisfied. Still need to try and source that transformer Gosh year and a half

Comment

Anyone with PU80? care to pop it open and check part number on controller pcb and trans? Pictures would be cool too

Comment

Found a schematic of the Weller PU-81, but no success on the 80.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like I need to do a comparison on the pcb against that. Any info on the transformer?

Comment

Soldering irons don't run 100% duty cycle, you can under-spec the transformer i.e Weller PU120T (for WTCPT) is a 60W unit with a 40VA transformer.

I am confused with the part numbers we are talking about
                WS 81 - 80W temp. controlled soldering station set (240VAC mains)
                WS 81T - 80W analog temp. controlled soldering station set (240VAC mains)
                PU 81 - analog temp. control power unit (base PSU)
                WSP 80 - soldering pencil

The part number: 810 87487 29 TRANSFORMER 230/24VAC 80VA
                So it looks like an 80VA transformer is used. Run the 50VA one you have and see if it runs too hot.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ooops, my bad for not being clear enough... I'm running a WSP80 with WECP-20, which is a 50VA thingy. And if I push temp over 350 °C it starts chirping a bit

Comment

Just a thought: I do have a second WECP-20 unit - could I just use the transformer from that and use them two in parallel? They would then share the load, methinks. Someone wiser, put a word

http://solderman.dapj.com/2005/09/tr...-parallel.html
                    Last edited by DMCrimson; 04-27-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

that's risky,
                      if you get them out of phase they will burn-up or take your breaker/fuse out.
                      and if they arent 100% the same you will need a low value resistor on each output.

24v is hardly a rare voltage you know.
                      how many amps do you need?

Comment

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrica...2V-12V-88-3938
                        http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrica...2V-12V-88-3947
                        http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrica...-0-12V-88-5198

i'd go with a toroid type - it took under a minute to find those.

Comment

well, does that have 5V tap? Those amps should be the same, so parallel could cut it? Tho I'd need to make a new chassis for that combo ;D
                          Last edited by DMCrimson; 04-27-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

no 5v tap.
                            no 5v on the original either i suspect, more like 7 or more to feed a regulator.

if yu u use a 12-0-12 output to get 24v and use the center-tap to feed a regulator you get 5v.

Comment

That might do it. But first I'll try that parallel configuration, If it fails, I do have another control board and a case to use with toroidal

Comment

Working...
                              X