• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "A Network Cable is Unplugged"

check PC power supply also

Comment

Set the speed to 10Mbps. This covers and solves an amazing number of cable, switch, NIC, and NWay compatibility problems.

Do your test installs to another hard drive so if the problem turns out to not be your bloated install of Windows you can just put it back.
      sig files are for morons

Comment

Sounds like the one thing you haven't swapped is the modem/router. Any chance you can get your ISP to send you a new one? Unlike most of the people who've chimed in to tell you to do things you've already done, I've actually read ALL of your posts. It's unlikely that you'd have this issue on only one computer connected to the modem/router, but it would definitely rule it out as source of the problem.

Also try sticking a new NIC in there and see what happens, could be some bizarre interaction with the onboard NIC chipset. Short of that, a new PSU, and the Linux live CD, you might want to get your hands on some holy water and garlic.

Comment

Think again.
          We had our telephone line replaced a few months ago and yes, they replaced the modem/router combo while they were there.

Anyways, the last week I've been slowly notching down the speed. I'm at full duplex 10 megabit and still seeing issues. WGA also wants to re-validate because I plugged in my ipod so I'll take this window to finish the backup and reinstall clean slate from another install CD.
          Last edited by pentium; 11-22-2013, 03:35 PM.
          Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Originally posted by pentium View Post
            Think again.
            We had our telephone line replaced a few months ago and yes, they replaced the modem/router combo while they were there.

Anyways, the last week I've been slowly notching down the speed. I'm at full duplex 10 megabit and still seeing issues. WGA also wants to re-validate because I plugged in my ipod so I'll take this window to finish the backup and reinstall clean slate from another install CD.
            That's gay! That's worse than when Windows tells me to reboot, just because I connected a USB drive!
            (which isn't supposed to happen)

Come on ReactOS!
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Go to half duplex 100Mbps. If it still does it with half duplex, do yourself a favor and put in a PCI Ethernet card. Does your motherboard have a Marvell chip for onboard ethernet? They had issues.

Still getting it after all of those? Replace caps next to PCI slots and around the onboard ethernet. I have a board that's doing it too, but i can't be arsed to care about it since it works at 10Mbps full duplex and i don't use that computer too often.
              Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 11-22-2013, 06:30 PM.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                Go to half duplex 100Mbps. If it still does it with half duplex, do yourself a favor and put in a PCI Ethernet card. Does your motherboard have a Marvell chip for onboard ethernet? They had issues.

Still getting it after all of those? Replace caps next to PCI slots and around the onboard ethernet. I have a board that's doing it too, but i can't be arsed to care about it since it works at 10Mbps full duplex and i don't use that computer too often.
                Unless you have an 8 Mb or less internet service, then it will be slower than the internet service, lol. And unless you have cat3 and/or real old switches, you don't need to drop it to 10 Mbps mode.

I hope you don't still have cat 3, lol.
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-22-2013, 06:35 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

I have half duplex on an Unix machine and it's S L O W. I can't even stream at that rate. I've been notching down from full to half and then full at the slower speed each time the connection drops.

Also, my ethernet is a Realtek RTL8169 thing. I'd totally switch to a 3com gigabit PCI card if I could find one. their cards were pretty damn bulletproof.
                  Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    Unless you have an 8 Mb or less internet service, then it will be slower than the internet service, lol. And unless you have cat3 and/or real old switches, you don't need to drop it to 10 Mbps mode.

I hope you don't still have cat 3, lol.
                    We're talking about a hardware fault on the motherboard here... The only thing limiting my internet speed is the switches as they're all 100Mbps. If they would be upgraded to gigabit the speed would get really silly.

10Mbps isn't all that bad, that's 3MB/sec, and that's plenty enough for all web surfing. If it works, i'm not gonna fix it.

Originally posted by pentium View Post
                    I have half duplex on an Unix machine and it's S L O W. I can't even stream at that rate. I've been notching down from full to half and then full at the slower speed each time the connection drops.

Also, my ethernet is a Realtek RTL8169 thing. I'd totally switch to a 3com gigabit PCI card if I could find one. their cards were pretty damn bulletproof.
                    I use 3Com cards in my router/server (running FREESCO) and they work great... When i first built it i used cheap realteks and i think i went thru 5 of 'em in 6 months. Bought the 3Coms for next to nothing and they still hold to this day, and it's been 7 years since i first built the router. It's on its 2nd computer, but i'm still using the very same ethernet cards.
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

If it's a motherboard issue I find it really weird that the problem is identical on two motherboards.
                      Find Nedry!

Comment

Typing from a laptop...

Connection dropped out and isn't coming back. Computer also vanished off the switch so the NIC isn't talking.

....yet from the back of the PC you can clearly see it's green CONNECTED light lit and the amber BUSY blinking away in no fancy order. Continues to do so with the cable unplugged.

It's done this once before. On the old board. Now I'm positive this isn't a hardware problem shared between two boards. In theory it will come back with a cold boot.
                        Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post

10Mbps isn't all that bad, that's 3MB/sec, and that's plenty enough for all web surfing.
                          Sorry, that's incorrect! That would be only 1.28 MB/s at the most!

And because of other technical issues of the obsoleted standard, you may see it as low as 1.2 MB/s at max.
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-22-2013, 11:35 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Yep!
                            Gave a cold boot and the ethernet came right back up. Something must of really locked up the chipset.
                            Find Nedry!

Comment

Sorry, that's incorrect! That would be only 1.28 MB/s at the most!
                              My bad, sorry.

Comment

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'd like to add that I have what appears to be an extremely similar problem. Except in my case, the router restarts *most* of the time when I get that "A Network Cable is Unplugged" message. Even more weird is the fact that sometimes the message pops up before my router restarts, and sometimes the router doesn't restart at all but I still get the message. And if that's not enough, I have also tried 2 completely different routers with 2 completely different power supplies, multiple computers connected with different ethernet cables, and I know both routers work without problem back in my parents house. So what gives? I don't know. All I know is that I am in an area with lots of military bases around, and cell-phone coverage also tends to go off every now and then for a second or two (but it doesn't coincide with the router going out). But that doesn't happen as often as my internet going out.

So I don't know what the hell is going with my stuff either, but I just wanted to throw this out here in case it turns out to be the same problem. And oh yeah - sometimes the router will restart by itself without any of my computers being on. I wonder if this could be some kind of external bot attack.

BTW, I don't know how our internet is handled since I am in a dorm complex and all we really get is just a Cat5e jack from the wall. But in any case, whatever is connected on the other side of the ethernet cable, I don't think it should be able to make my router restart.

Again, I'm not trying to solve my problem here since this is pentium's thread, but just wanted to state my observations as this could potentially be the same problem.
                                Last edited by momaka; 11-23-2013, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Yep!
                                  Gave a cold boot and the ethernet came right back up. Something must of really locked up the chipset.
                                  And if it repeats (network error), after reboot, maybe capacitors should be inspected, post your mobo model, and PSU too...

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'd like to add that I have what appears to be an extremely similar problem. Except in my case, the router restarts *most* of the time when I get that "A Network Cable is Unplugged" message. Even more weird is the fact that sometimes the message pops up before my router restarts, and sometimes the router doesn't restart at all but I still get the message. And if that's not enough, I have also tried 2 completely different routers with 2 completely different power supplies, multiple computers connected with different ethernet cables, and I know both routers work without problem back in my parents house. So what gives? I don't know. All I know is that I am in an area with lots of military bases around, and cell-phone coverage also tends to go off every now and then for a second or two (but it doesn't coincide with the router going out). But that doesn't happen as often as my internet going out.

So I don't know what the hell is going with my stuff either, but I just wanted to throw this out here in case it turns out to be the same problem. And oh yeah - sometimes the router will restart by itself without any of my computers being on. I wonder if this could be some kind of external bot attack.

BTW, I don't know how our internet is handled since I am in a dorm complex and all we really get is just a Cat5e jack from the wall. But in any case, whatever is connected on the other side of the ethernet cable, I don't think it should be able to make my router restart.

Again, I'm not trying to solve my problem here since this is pentium's thread, but just wanted to state my observations as this could potentially be the same problem.
                                    Heat?

is router wireless type?
                                    My pc
                                    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                                    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                                    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                                    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                                    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Possibly a bad cat.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Possibly a bad cat.
                                        there a cat chewing the wires?!?

LOL i know you mean cat5 cable i just couldn't resist
                                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

After a week of frustrating trying to backup only for it to randomly crash I found that two of my sticks of RAM are bad. Either they didn't survive the VRM on the old board blowing up or that's what you get when you buy cheap unbranded ram.
                                          Just in case for some extremely odd reason it was that glitching the chipset out I'll try load testing the system again with my remaining (and memtest passed) ram.
                                          Find Nedry!

Comment

Working...
                                          X