Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this took forever but i have figured out how!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this took forever but i have figured out how!

i have the old win2k theam in windows xp without access to the CPL at my school
    1: logon
    2:press ALT+SHIFT+PRINTSCREEN
    3: log off
    4:log back on and have the old win2k look!
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: this took forever but i have figured out how!

ALT+SHIFT+PRINTSCREEN usually switches to and from high contrast mode (to allow visually impaired users to switch to that mode without having to go through display properties which they would struggle with).

Perhaps the theme has been disabled and when Windows can't find the relevant files it defaults to "windows classic"?

Comment

maybe.. anyway i always liked the win2k look over xp's so i am very happy with it
      Last edited by goontron; 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I like the XP theme in silver, only use the classic theme on older end computers, cause the themes service has to be enabled and that takes up some memory
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

XP theme in silver? sorry longtime linuxer here only seen blue luna. well at least i think thats what it is called?
          Last edited by goontron; 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Yeah Luna, you can change it to silver in the display settings. Royale looks cool too...you can download it. But yeah the stock XP looks kinda lame, or maybe just because I've seen it so many times...haha

Comment

Luna was the primary reason that I never (voluntarily) used XP...

I had Win2k Advanced server on my desktop, Pro on my laptop until server 2003 & that went on my desktop (laptop was dead by then)...

Moved to Vista and actually got along fine with that but upgraded through 7 to 8 which is now my primary OS (though the current laptop has 7 on it)

I dunno, 2k was stable and, with a few tweaks, would run everything that XP did and didn't default to "tellytubby land"

As an aside, is anyone else as anal as me and noticed the internal version numbers of windows over the years?
              95 = 4.0.xxxx
              98 = 4.10.xxxx
              Me = 4.9.xxxx
              2000 = 5.0.xxxx
              XP = 5.1.xxxx
              XPx64 = 5.2.xxxx
              Vista = 6.xxxx
              Win7 = 6.1.xxxx
              Win8 = 6.2.xxxx

Comment

Originally posted by Elysarian View Post
                As an aside, is anyone else as anal as me and noticed the internal version numbers of windows over the years?
                95 = 4.0.xxxx
                98 = 4.10.xxxx
                Me = 4.9.xxxx
                2000 = 5.0.xxxx
                XP = 5.1.xxxx
                XPx64 = 5.2.xxxx
                Vista = 6.xxxx
                Win7 = 6.1.xxxx
                Win8 = 6.2.xxxx
                9x +ME don't correlate. 95 is the successor to windows 3.1, hence the 4.0 and so on with 98 and ME

2000 (NT kernel 5) is the successor to win NT (NT kernel 4.0) which is the sucessor to windows for workgroups 3.1, hence the numbe scheme. Other than both being more or less successors to windows 3.0 (an addon to DOS like 1.1 and 2.0), the numbering working out was pure coincidence.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I got used to Luna so long as all the FX were turned off. Windows 7 has a number of TreeView based windows that won't give up their animation.
                  sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                    XP theme in silver? sorry longtime linuxer here only seen blue luna. well at least i think thats what it is called?
                    There's also "olive green" which looks like .

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
                      I got used to Luna so long as all the FX were turned off.
                      ^ That exactly.
                      One of the first things I do on any XP computer running the Luna theme is to turn off those stupid fade/slide/shadows effects. They take so many resources and only get in the way by having to wait for menus to fade in, fade out, or slide.

I wouldn't have minded that Luna theme so much if I haven't seen it so overused. In the last few years, I have set up a countless number of XP computers, and it's at the point where I nearly gag every time I see it now. Could even say I probably have eye burn-in from it .

All of my flash drives have a folder in them called "themes" where I have various saved XP and (mostly) classic themes. Just copy to computer I want to change the theme on, double-click, and enjoy.

Originally posted by severach View Post
                      Windows 7 has a number of TreeView based windows that won't give up their animation.
                      That's one reason why I'm still hesitating to switch to 7 (primary reason, of course, is I don't have any capable hardware for it ).
                      Vista seems to be a little better in that department, at least from my limited experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        That's one reason why I'm still hesitating to switch to 7 (primary reason, of course, is I don't have any capable hardware for it ).
                        Vista seems to be a little better in that department, at least from my limited experience with it.
                        7 is a lot more efficient hardware wise than Vista is. What are you running? Cause I've run Windows 7 on a Northwood P4/Athlon 64 and it's easily fast enough for basic computing as long as you have more than a gig of RAM.

Comment

I got several P4s, all with about 1 GB of RAM. I've optimized 64-bit 7 before to run on as low as 400 MB, so I could actually run 7 on 1 GB of RAM without problems... but I don't really want to . XP feels nice and cozy.

Comment

Working...
                          X