X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

Originally posted by philpem
    896MB EVGA GTX260 (the standard one, couldn't afford the "OMGWTFLOLBRB superoverclocked" one, and a stock '260 is fine for HL2, Portal, TimeShift and UT anyway)
    "O-My-God-What-The-Fuck-Laugh-Out-Loud-Be-Right-Back".... never heard of that version of GPU. Must be cool, and must have it cool also.
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
      "O-My-God-What-The-Fuck-Laugh-Out-Loud-Be-Right-Back".... never heard of that version of GPU. Must be cool, and must have it cool also.

Seriously though, EVGA do have a GTX285 "FTW Edition". I do wonder what their marketing team were smoking when they came up with that one. To be fair, it is the fastest card they sell, so the name is justified, and it sort of fits in with the general naming scheme (GTX2xx, GTX2xx SuperClocked, GTX2xx SSC, GTX2xx FTW). I still think it's a silly name though

I budgeted for an 8800GT or something along those lines (can't remember off-hand) to start with, then got an email from the supplier that nearly everything I ordered (AMD Phenom CPU, motherboard, ...) was out of stock. I told them to scrap the whole thing, and that I'd put another order in later in the week... which I did.

I heard the Q6600s were VERY overclockable, so got one of those and a decent heatsink (the Zalman copper flower), picked an ASUS motherboard (IME they're quite reliable) to match, and the GTX260 because it was the "mutt's nuts" at the time. Built it all up in a cheap-junk case, and the whole thing promptly overheated (CPU Tcore = 61C on idle, and Timeshift crashed it -- a desk fan aimed at the side brought it down to 55C and stopped it crashing). Bought the 300, swapped the parts into that, and it's been working fine ever since.

It's been an adventure, but even if I could get back the three weeks I spent building and tweaking the machine, I wouldn't. That was half of the fun -- learning what worked and what didn't (and that a GTX260 and a Q6600 absolutely needed at least two BIG case fans to remove the heat )

The whole sorry exchange is on the Hexus forums somewhere. Search for posts by "philpem"

PCs. Gotta love 'em.

*walks away whistling the Portal ending theme tune, "Still Alive"

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
        yeah, most people haven't seen one in their life. I remember that when I had mine, someone asked why I liked to use my mouse belly up.....
        LOL!

Here my trackball family: the number 1 is the first I received from a friend, number 2 is for my system, number 3 is for my notebook, number 4 is... damn it is a mouse!!!
        This mouse is a gift, it is a wireless type with rechargeable batteries... a stupid thing: it charges when the mouse is on the base and the PC is turned on... but if PC is turned on I need the mouse to work so it can't stay on the base and can't charge its battery and I don't like to keep the PC powered just to charge a stupid mouse.

Ok to tell the truth I hate wireless keyboard and wireless mouse because most of the time they don't work properly, in particular when you need to enter the BIOS or if battery is not charged at 100%, at least this is my experience.

Ciao
        Gianni
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Gianni; 03-11-2009, 03:59 PM. Reason: Typo
        "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
        H. J. Brown

Comment

I have a standard MS trackball. I don't like them too much but if you have no space they can't be beat. I remember when 1gb was a lot, then 40 and 100. I had like 16mb ram to start and thought 95 was great.

Now I have 2gb of ram and its not enough. Terra byte drives are out and ram sticks below 512mb are useless.

Comment

Arrrgh! I can't stand trackballs.

Apple's own Mighty Mouse is still my fave.

Someday I just gotta get the new, new 8-core Mac Pro with the new Xeons with hyperthreading for 16 virtual cores and the 6-channel memory That's just gotta tear up video rendering.

For now I'm stuck with a mere 4-core Quad channel memory Mac Pro chugging away insanely fastly.

Have Fun,
            Keri

Yay! I got another Website going for a friend.
            Or at least I made the custom logo for it and got it uploaded..
            http://www.armanisculpture.com/
            The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by Gianni
              LOL!

Here my trackball family: the number 1 is the first I received from a friend, number 2 is for my system, number 3 is for my notebook, number 4 is... damn it is a mouse!!!
              This mouse is a gift, it is a wireless type with rechargeable batteries... a stupid thing: it charges when the mouse is on the base and the PC is turned on... but if PC is turned on I need the mouse to work so it can't stay on the base and can't charge its battery and I don't like to keep the PC powered just to charge a stupid mouse.

Ok to tell the truth I hate wireless keyboard and wireless mouse because most of the time they don't work properly, in particular when you need to enter the BIOS or if battery is not charged at 100%, at least this is my experience.

Ciao
              Gianni
              Mine was like the white one you have, except for teh fact that it was serial, the ball was green (in Logitech green tone) and it was not optical.
              I am currently using a Logitech KBD & mouse, wireless set. They work flawlessly. One time, I took the keyboard to the kitchen, and started cleaning some stain my son left of God-knows what, and then I heard teh computer beeping...... two rooms away, the keyboard was sending my "keystrokes" to the CPU.....
              And as for teh batteries, I have a 4pack of rechargeable batteries always in the charger, for my son's camera, one of the xBox 360 controllers, or my keyboard and mouse, which use AA batteries. The only time the keyboard died on me so far, I was Playing Diablo II:Lord of Destruction online, and I was almost killed because I use the keyboard to togle the run/walk, and to drink potions from my belt. It was really funny to see a level 35 Paladin running for his life because he can't drink recovery potions. The mouse? it dies a ot, because I use it a lot. But I have a USB battery charger attached to the front of my rig that provides freshly charged batteries for the dying rodent ..... but I miss my trackball. Maybe I'll buy one as soon as I get a decent job...
              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                I have a standard MS trackball. I don't like them too much but if you have no space they can't be beat. I remember when 1gb was a lot, then 40 and 100. I had like 16mb ram to start and thought 95 was great.

Now I have 2gb of ram and its not enough. Terra byte drives are out and ram sticks below 512mb are useless.
                I remember that times too. I used to have an "amazing amount of memory installed" (literal description of one of my teachers back then) 24MB 72pin EDO RAM. Now you can't even open a web browser without eating that much RAM.
                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

lol. Sorry I wasn't here through the years. I would have had monthly updates to this one.

Now I am running a Dell Server (got it cheap from dell) with Dual Quad Core xeon 1.6ghz with 4GB of FB ram.

Only kinda hacking I have in it is this 'server' only has an x8 PCI Express slot so I had to cut half the pins off my x16 video card to make it fit in the slot.

John

Comment

Urabahn's Systems UPDATE

Alright, things have changed around here quite a bit lately...

My Main System: Acer Extensa 5420 Laptop

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-Core TK-57 @ 1.9GHz
                    2GB PC2-6400 SODIMM RAM (hard as heck to find around where I am )
                    ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 IGP (256MB discrete RAM)
                    120GB Hitachi 5400RPM SATA HDD
                    Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
                    Marvell Yukon Gigabit NIC
                    Very nice 15.4" WXGA CrystalBrite widescreen + Crystal Eye webcam
                    DVD-DL Drive
                    Undersized power brick that gets VERY HOT after charging + running the system at the same time :P

It may not sound like much, but under Windows 7 and Xubuntu it's more than adequate for my needs. (It blows my single-cored Celeron 420 out of the water...)

(Almost) all my other systems have been scrapped, traded off, currently non-operational, shared with other family members or 386/486 machines.
                    Last edited by UraBahn; 04-19-2009, 12:56 AM.
                    The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

Primary system:
                      Dell Latitude E6500.
                      1440*900 WXGA+ LED backlit screen
                      LED backlit keyboard
                      Core 2 Duo P8700 (2.53gHz/3M L2 Cache)
                      250GB SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
                      Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M
                      2GB DDR2-800mhz
                      DVD +/-RW 8x

Desktop:
                      Optiplex 760 Minitower
                      Core 2 Duo 3.00ghz
                      160GB hard drive
                      16x DVD +/- RW optical drive
                      2GB DDR2-800mhz
                      ATI Radeon 3450(?)
                      old NEC Multisync 18" LCD

Comment

My Main Rig:
                        Pentium 4 640 3.2GHz (overclocked to 4GHz)
                        Asus P5AD2-E Premium
                        2 GB Corsair Pro DDR2 (PC2-5300)
                        2x75Gb Western Digital Raptor (Dual-boot setup, XP Pro and Debian Linux)
                        2x1Tb Western Digital RE2 Enterprise Class (Storage Drives)
                        XFX 7800GTX
                        Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
                        Thermaltake Shark case
                        Thermaltake BigTyphoon CPU cooler
                        Pioneer DVD +/- RW Drive

For cooling purposes I replaced all cheapo white thermal pads on the motherboard and graphics card with Arctic Silver thermal compound. Easily dropped my temp over 10 degrees Celsius. With this aged system I'm still able to play the newest games at very decent FPS.

Comment

sorry no pics- ill post some later

all machines run ubuntu linux
                          desktop:

compaq presario 7000

pIII 866

768 mb ram

ati radeon 7000

160gb hd

dvd burner and 52x cd burner (sep. drives)

4 usb 1.1 (2ft, 2bk) and 4 usb 2.0 on card

(connected to usb card) internal card reader

wintv go analog tuner ntsc

10/100 network card

floppy drive

laptop:

eee pc 1000h

160gb hard drive (10g backup, 80gb winxp home, 60gb ubuntu)

3 usb2.0

1.3 mp webcam

wireless n/ gigabit ethernet

sd card reader

1.6 ghz atom

1gb ram

dolby sound room speakers (built in, yet LOUD

serverstation (comibination server and workstation)

mostly TBA- board died, still getting a new one...

will have: dual monitors, old proteva case modded to have 2 fans side by side in cd rom bays/3 cd rom bys gutted to make room for eatx boards/custom vents--ill post pics later, 4.1 channel sound, twin cpus (i hope...), usb 2.0 4 port card w/internal header, 430w agi ps

i also had other desktops, but they are gutted/being traded

not bad for a 16 year old sopo-junior (summer between)
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

update on server

finally built:

asus cuv4x-e (bought from gg1978)

PIII 800mhz (oc'd to 828 (will be more once i upgrade from stock cooler)

1gb pc133

chieftec case with 4 80mm fans

compaq 300w ps (rebadged delta) with extra fan attached

4.1 channel soundblaster card

nvidia geforce4 64mb w/ old socket 7 fan zip tied to heatsink

4port via usb2.0 card

netgear 10/100 lan

dvd-rom/cdrw drive, highspeed cdrw drive

320gb hd (160gb network access partition, rest for os)

floppy drive

ubuntu 9.04 (compizfusion makes it look better than windows aero)
                            sigpic

Comment

more on the emachine

it will soon get a new(er) mobo, fan, and cpu

the upgrade kit is a Keriproductions (thank you kerijane)

current specs
                              p4 775 presscot 2.8 ht, 1.5 gb ddr (512mb x3), 250gb sata hd, dvrrom/cdrw, cdrw, 7 usb2.0 (4 back, 3 front), internal card reader, 3 firewire (1back 2 front), built in ethernet 10/100, built in sound, integrated graphix, stock case, POS cooler, modified delta 350 w 20+4 psu

now 4 pics

inside of case

cpu fan reversed for better airflow

custom wiring on psu for better airflow (no unused wires/ excess wire)

missing pci-e 16x slot, reason why it needed an upgrade
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Well let's see, on my far left side on the desk is the i7 rig,
                                W3520 @ 3.5GHz, boxed cooling
                                Dfi LP DK X58, like i'd remember the whole name
                                6GB of CSX CES 1600Mhz ddr3
                                7600GT
                                300W aopen (fortron) psu, 500W BQT don't work with this board >
                                40GB Ide HDD with 64x vista
                                no case, this computer is in test bench

This is basicly just crunching WCG :P

Right next to me at left is most recent resurrection:
                                2x 800Mhz P3 @ 882Mhz, boxed coolers
                                Msi 694D Pro with new 1500uF 6.3V panasonic caps
                                3x 128Mb 133Mhz sdram
                                TNT2
                                500W BQT, a "little" over kill
                                6GB Maxtor with XP, testing only
                                no case, mobo lyis on 25mm piece of mdf and hdd on psu.

Now the computer i'm using at this moment.
                                Athlon X2 7750 @ 2.9GHz, watercooled
                                Asus M3A76-CM
                                4GB of 800Mhz DDR2
                                HD3850
                                500W Nexus NX5000
                                160+250GB Sata HHDs with x64 Vista
                                Intel 1Gb NIC
                                this have actually case, modded Apple G5 Powermac case for matx boards, no sign of modding outside, oringinal i/o panel is used (well atleast usbs are atm...)

Here's picture with 7600GT
                                Same s0lid from XS and 2cpu forums.

Comment

Who makes BQT psu's?

Suprised a low-end fsp can power something like a I7 rig.

Comment

I know. I am also surprised that a 300W Fortron can handle an i7 based PC.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this "BQT 500W" PSU can't deliver anything near 500W.

However after a quick google search I found that BQT is the acronym for the Be Quiet brand. According to a poster on another forum, BQT power supplies are Seasonic or CWT units. The innards look pretty good for a few of the power supplies that I have seen on the Internet.

Maybe the BQT that you have is a fake. Or possibly faulty.
                                    I just do not see how a 500W Seasonic or CWT power supply can not handle an i7 rig yet a cheapy but reasonable 300W power supply can.

Comment

Finally, I can run Mirrors Edge.

Motherboard: MSI 865PE-Neo2 PLS (basically the Platinum "P" version with several very minor chnages)
                                      Processor: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.2Ghz
                                      Ram: 3 x 1Gb PC3200 400Mhz DDR ram + 1 x 512Mb PC3200 400Mhz DDR ram (oddly enough, the system has yet to complain about that extra 512 stick)
                                      Video: Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP
                                      PhysX: Ageia PhysX PCI PPU card
                                      Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum
                                      Scsi: Adaptec AHA-2940
                                      Hard disk storage: Dual Hitachi 1Tb SATA drives.
                                      SSD: Not installed but ready for one
                                      PSU: corsair VX550 550W power supply.
                                      Opticals:
                                      -NEC DVD/CD-RW drive
                                      -NEC DVD-RW drive (now a dual layer drive with a firmware flash)
                                      Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Additional things:
                                      -Dual floppy (both 3 1/2" and 5 1/4")
                                      -Memory card reader
                                      -128Mb Magneto optical drive (so I can operate another system)
                                      -100Mb IDE Zip drive
                                      -Enough Firewire and USB ports to make your head spin (8 and 18 respectively)

EDIT: Forgot to add that I had to take cooling into serious consideration on this system. God damn this thing runs a lot warmer than my last system.
                                      Last edited by pentium; 07-14-2009, 09:33 PM.
                                      Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

I've posted specs about it, but not pictures yet.

Here is my main computer.

Rosewill cheap crap case
                                        HEC Zephyr 750W
                                        Biostar Tpower N750 (100% UCC solid caps)
                                        Athlon 64 X2 5000+ stock 2.6ghz
                                        4gb OCZ vista upgrade ddr2-800
                                        320gb WDC 16mb cache single platter
                                        PNY 9800gt 512mb
                                        Vista business 64bit

Originally posted by pentium
                                        EDIT: Forgot to add that I had to take cooling into serious consideration on this system. God damn this thing runs a lot warmer than my last system.
                                        He he. Thats where I just upgraded. The side fan was from a Sun Sunfire 880 server, its a 240cfm nidec ta600dc (made in america ) 172mm, pulling air out from around my graphics cards/NB area. The front fan is pulling air from outside into the case, it is a nidec va350dc 110cfm 92mm fan, the rear fan is the same and blows into the case, as is the cpu fan that pulls through the cpu cooler. My cpu stays at room temp no matter what. That is, if you can stand the noise, no speed control here.

Attached Files

Comment

My main System A custom built Pentium 4 HT 3ghz was 2.8ghz.
                                          3 gbs ram 512 MB Video Card.
                                          Attached Files
                                          My Computer.
                                          AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                          Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                          Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                          500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                          1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                          2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Working...