Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubycon caps identification

Hi,

I did find some nice stash of pretty old Rubycon capacitors, type is unknown to me. Certain quantity I bought almost 20 years ago, they look as normal electrolytic but I was told that those are bipolar non-electrolytic. Any idea what type/dielectric is in question? Are they any good for audio application in valve amplifiers, or shall I discard them as worthless ancient junk? Any answer will be highly appreciated.
    Cheers, Mladen
    Attached Files

Re: Rubycon caps identification

The arrows on the capacitor suggests that this is not a bipolar capacitor. As for the type of capacitor, i would say it's a electrolytic based off of it's shape and the arrows pointing at one of the legs (most likely the negative leg.)

Are they any good for audio application in valve amplifiers, or shall I discard them as worthless ancient junk?
    That's hard to say, for one thing do the caps even work? If not then you're better off getting rid of them and buying new. If so then the next question would be should you use them. A lot of people would tell you to get brand new capacitors because you don't know how long those old capacitors last if you did use them, because as a capacitor ages the chemistry of the electrolyte can change which can cause the capacitor to fail prematurely (but that's not always the case.) you may also want to reform the capacitors before use. (There's a thread you can read about how to Recondition (reform) electrolytic capacitors somewhere on this site)

I hope something i said will help you.
    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Thanks ruky con,
      This is exactly what I thought, regarding axial alu-can type package.
      I will further investigate the possibility of reconditioning old elcos, since my stash include a lot of old ELNA, FRAKO, Nichicon and Matsushita's. These days I can't find nothing better than Samwha in local shops, and after reading posts on this forum, for sure I will stick to good originals.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
        The arrows on the capacitor suggests that this is not a bipolar capacitor.
        Not really. Could just describe the best orientation. Although non-polarised caps can accept voltage in both ways, even those have a better orientation with less noise (or something) for audio circuits. Old caps had that, newer ones don't. Most ppl do not even know that, these nuances are what differentiate the best audio gear from the rest
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

there is a vid on youtube showing how to determine the polarity of film caps at carson's lab!!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Rubycon capacitors he has are electrolytic capacitors. (I could be wrong but i don't think that's likely in this case)

Comment

600v???

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                600v???
                I have a really old 500v rated electrolytic capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Karagjozi_XIII View Post
                  Hi,

I did find some nice stash of pretty old Rubycon capacitors, type is unknown to me. Certain quantity I bought almost 20 years ago, they look as normal electrolytic but I was told that those are bipolar non-electrolytic. Any idea what type/dielectric is in question?
                  Rip one open with a pair of wire cutters.

Are they any good for audio application in valve amplifiers, or shall I discard them as worthless ancient junk? Any answer will be highly appreciated.
                  Cheers, Mladen
                  Assuming they are still within their rated specs, I'd use them. If they're paper dielectric, they would leak current like a resister. Apply 600VDC across it and measure the current through it.

Comment

those are probably paper in oil.
                    very old.

Comment

wouldnt the oil be pcb's??

Comment

possibly.
                        but like many pcb caps its nothing to worry about.
                        modern china shit equipment is far more likely to harm you.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        wouldnt the oil be pcb's??

Comment

Yep, unless you burn and breath it or lick it there's nothing to worry about.
                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Sorry for the late reply this is a Rubycon Audio (paper) capacitors they are vintage usually sold as NOS (new old stock) and are really rare to find.
                            and are usually used in single ended audio triode power amps.
                            Yes i love Nichicon MUSE Audio Capacitors...they would look awesome all over any motherboard

Comment

Working...
                            X