Good motor capacitors for an MOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good motor capacitors for an MOT?

Hello. I'm looking to build a resonant MOT bank, and I'm looking for capacitors for the MOTs. I don't really know where I should look for capacitors for this task (besides Digikey, Mouser, etc) or what brands I should look for and stay away from. I'm pretty sure the 2 sites I listed (and probably a few more) will be good places to look.

Also, what should I get in terms of capacitance and voltage rating? I assume that voltage should be in the 300-400VAC mark, but have no clue about capacitance.

If you could answer these questions for me, that would be great! Thanks!

EDIT 1: I'm planning on building 10 MOTs into the bank. How many capacitors would I need? Also, will I need to ballast the bank? (I assume yes.) If so, what should I use to ballast them?
    Last edited by TechGeek; 11-29-2017, 09:16 PM.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: Good motor capacitors for an MOT?

Are you trying to build something like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r8ZP4XOkYI
    http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/fo...opic.php?38015
    http://stevencaton.com/Resonant%20MOT%20Bank.html

The caps will not be 400V caps for sure.
    Last edited by budm; 11-29-2017, 11:46 PM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Something like that, but scaled up to 10 MOTs.
      Why? For destruction purposes. My plan is to have the high-voltage secondaries wired in series for a total output voltage of somewhere around 25kV with enough current to annihilate anything I connect to the output terminals.

I also assume that this will eat loads of current from the wall.

What voltage of caps do I want to look for?
      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

^ Well, let's run those numbers shall we? 12 MOTs are around 25kv. Ive noticed MOTs idle around 6 amps. 12*6=72. 72 amps. Keep in mind the common US household power feed is 100 amps.

Now under a transient short (i have tested this) MOTs will pull around 27 amps. A Bolted short will pull closer to 25 amps. we will use bolted numbers. 12*25=300 amps.

You could do 200 amps using both phases of a 100 amps service, so let's do that real quick. 200/25=8 8*2=16.

So, ignoring the standard safety margins of 95% rated load, you are looking at 16kv. You will need High Voltage Doorknob Caps for this. And lots of them since they are <uF.

Now for safe margin numbers.

(100*.95)*2=190, 190/25=7 7*2=14. 14kv is all you will get if done safely and realistically.

Now, lets assume you live in the big shitty, in some new HOA. You have a 200 amp feeder.
        (200*.95)*2=380
        380/25=15
        15*2=30

30kv is what you can get.

Or, like me, you are out in the sticks, in a state that still runs on coal.

(50*.95)*2=95. 95 amps. 95/25=3.8 Im rounding this to 4 for sanity sake. 4*2=8. 8Kv is what you (i) can get.

Now, this is all assuming you take your whole home home offline to do this, Which is very, very impractical. Also keep in mind i do round. Usually down to account for losses, and these numbers are destructive to the MOTs which are rated at 15 amps under normal operation. You need to ballast them to keep them from destroying themselves. 1.5Kw incandescent bulbs are my choice, but a submersion heater at 1.5kw is just as well.

EDIT: OK. So you want limited power? Easy. You won't get the full output voltage under short, but here we go. 10*15=150. You will draw 150 amps. Still need to take the house offline. 10*2=20 20Kv. 1500/2000=0.75.

20Kv OR 750mA. output.

For output capacitance... In the article budm linked to with the 4 MOCs in series-parallel, the capacitance is the same as one MOC. 1uF being a good round number. 1 25kv 1uF cap will do. otherwise, MOCs are ususaly rated for 2.2Kv. 10 MOCs in series will do, but it will only have 1/10th the capacitance. It will be a 0.1uF 22kv cap bank at this point, so you may want 10 of them in parallel. Or go with the 0.1uF bank. Its a nice number...
        Last edited by goontron; 11-30-2017, 11:42 AM.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Is someone going for a Darwin ?

Comment

^ And inefficacy.....
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
              Something like that, but scaled up to 10 MOTs.
              Why? For destruction purposes. My plan is to have the high-voltage secondaries wired in series for a total output voltage of somewhere around 25kV with enough current to annihilate anything I connect to the output terminals.
              Just get a 10kVA or similar size distribution transformer (or two!). Much easier, plus those can handle a larger amount of power. MOTs will overheat easily if you don't ballast them.

Also keep in mind that one end of the MOT HV winding is often connected to the core of the transformer, so if you place them on something like wood, you will possibly end up with unexpected arcing.

Originally posted by goontron View Post
              Ive noticed MOTs idle around 6 amps.
              You sure that is correct? It seems more like that would be apparent power rather than true power, given that MOTs are [obviously] inductive. Then again, I do know that they tend to run at a high-ish flux density. (Making it less efficient electrically, but the manufacturing cost is lower because it is physically smaller for the same power output, and this is okay because the transformer is only used intermittently and with fan cooling.)

Originally posted by goontron View Post
              So, ignoring the standard safety margins of 95% rated load, you are looking at 16kv. You will need High Voltage Doorknob Caps for this. And lots of them since they are <uF.
              Another option would be to get your hands on a large oil-filled capacitor as are used in electrical distribution. You can get large ones that are like 10uF and rated for more than 34.5kV. (Which is a somewhat common distribution line voltage used here in the USA.)
              (Note that they are used for PFC, and often are rated in kVAR rather than microfarads.)

-Ben
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
              X