Motormaster Eliminator 2A battery charger repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motormaster Eliminator 2A battery charger repair

Well, I usually don't bother with that, but for fun sakes and to keep stuff out of the landfill, why not.

This is a Motormaster Eliminator model 011-1506-6. It's an orange little "intelligent" battery charger / maintainer 12V 2A. It was used to maintain a generator battery and it failed. Funny thing is it never blew it's fuse and had 160V at the filter cap, but didn't work of course.

Soo... I opend her up and first thing the L6565 PWM has it's lid blown off. it also had some signs of moisture inside. The soldering is absolutely crap (unreal how many bad solder joints that lil thing has).
    After further investigation, the PWM, the 4N60 Mosfet, R9, D7 and Z2 were either shorted or open. Everything else looks to be in order.

Here are some pix:
    Attached Files

Re: Motormaster Eliminator 2A battery charger repair

When the POWER MOSFET that is driven by the SMPS IC shorted out between Gate and Drain pin, it will dump 160V in to the Gate drive output of the IC, the Gate drive R/D (Resistor-Diode) network between the Gate drive output pin and the Gate pin of MOSTFET will also be damaged.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

It was budm. R9 (1k) between the Gate and the PWM was open. 2 diodes where shorted. I always appreciate your input.
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 07-24-2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Hi it happen same to me ,could you remenber the diode number.Thanks

Comment

Nope. That’s been like 7 years ago. But I’ve still got that charger somewhere. Maybe post some high resolution pictures top and back and another one with the diodes in question. Then I’ll look. Can’t find Z2 on my old pics.
          If the diodes are not completely destroyed, unsolder them and read what’s printed on it. Since I am sure I didn’t order anything these diodes aren’t anything special, besides one being a zener diode.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.When the l6565 blow some resistor and diode got heat and carbon from the explosion and even with wash it is hard to identified the color on resistor and number on diode.I'll try to unsolder like you wrote .My charger is identical to your pic but more carbonised.
            Again thanks Best regards

Comment

I did expect replacing mosfet Q1 4n60,R9 I kohms ,r7 22 ohms, and mesure r10 and r 46 that look 1 ohm,D7 is ??,and Z2 =??,plus of course with your post is L6565 because it is all destroy.

Comment

Post a clear picture of the trace side of the power supply. I suspect D7 could be across R10/R46 and will check shorted. Are R10/R46 the source resistors for the modfet? if they are, lidt one end of D7 to check if it is shorted or not.
                Where is Z2 in the circuit? it might be across the vcc line for the ic, and be used for over voltage protection (15volt?) on the vcc line.
                The diodes should be marked with there part number
                Last edited by R_J; 04-18-2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I think a sketch of the schematic around the two diodes would help (with IC pin numbers), or pictures. L6565 datasheet.

Comment

I had lots of damage and printed circuit board are very week like someone alreadt wrote.Please find pic of my circuit
                    Attached Files

Comment

I can't make out the markings on the diodes, but they are there. can you read them and post the numbers? I suspect the zener Z2 is likely around 15v, D7 is in the gate drive circuit and like the datasheet is likely a 1N4148
                      Last edited by R_J; 04-19-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                        Post a clear picture of the trace side of the power supply. I suspect D7 could be across R10/R46 and will check shorted. Are R10/R46 the source resistors for the modfet? if they are, lidt one end of D7 to check if it is shorted or not.
                        Where is Z2 in the circuit? it might be across the vcc line for the ic, and be used for over voltage protection (15volt?) on the vcc line.
                        The diodes should be marked with there part number
                        Z2 is close of H1 print,R10 and R46 are open

Comment

R J ,i was able to read D7 and look like 1N4148 you are wright but Z2 couln't read

Comment

I think a 15v zener makes sense to be there and also sticks in my head. Unfortunately I can’t find that charger to look.

Comment

Ok thanks i'll try to do my best with that piece of shit.

Comment

Yeah, those Motomaster chargers are junk.

Comment

Working...
                                X