Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECS P4VXASD2+ (v5.0) CPU fan not working and more

Hi guys,

I have an ECS P4VXASD2+ (v5.0) mobo. It has a number of problems I'm trying to fix:

1. CPU-FAN connection is not working (tested it with working 3-pin fan)
    2. Only CPUs that require 1.75v work in it (like P4 1.7Ghz). Anything that requires ~1.5v (P4 2.4Ghz) does not boot up (no beeps and no video). I have updated to latest BIOS.
    3. There is an a oscillating whining noise coming from the CPU/VRM area (its not fan, psu, or anything mechanical I tested it all with just the cpu and mobo).

There are 8x OST RLX 3300uF 6.3v caps around the CPU socket. None of them exhibit any visual signs of failure. In fact there are no visibly failed caps anywhere on this board.

Can all/any of these symptoms be the result of bad caps? Why would a fan connection not work??? Same fan if plugged into the sys_fan header works as expected.

PS. This exact same mobo has many cloned versions as per this page http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/65.
    - PCChips M922LU v5.0
    - Matsonic MS9147C
    - Amptron XP4-922LU

Re: ECS P4VXASD2+ (v5.0) CPU fan not working and more

So have you make any headway on this?

I suggest you replace those OST caps first. That might resolve your points 2 & 3.

As for the cpu fan header issue, perhaps one of the transistor for it is burnt. Look carefully at the small 3-legged part near the header.

Do you have a digital multimeter?

Comment

Re: ECS P4VXASD2+ (v5.0) CPU fan not working and more

Sometimes there is a fuse for the fan header, make sure there isn't one burnt out.

They're a small square, usually green. Unlikely a ECS board has them but it might.

Comment

Working...
      X