LG 60LN5400 Blows TCON Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 60LN5400 Blows TCON Fuse

I could have sworn I posted about this before, but I can't seem to find the post..

To whit..

I have a 60LN5400 that came in.. Backlights work fine.. No display..

Traced the problem to the TCON board.. Blown fuse..

Replaced the fuse.. Blows again.. Replaced the fuse again... This time it fries the marked part on the Main Video board...

Got a new Main Video Board.. Replaced the fuse on the TCON..

The fuse is fine and the backlights come on fine if I don't have the cellophane connectors from the TCON to the Panel..

So, I am figuring that ONE of the panel boards are bad.. Try it with the left panel board disconnected, right panel board connected... Blows fuse..

Try it with the left panel board connected and the right panel board disconnected.. Blows fuse.

So far, the component on the Main Video Board is OK. Thank the gods for small favors..

So, I am now guessing that there is a short on BOTH panel boards..

So, my question is, is there any meter diagnostics I can try to track it down and/or is there anything I can do about it even if I CAN track it down??

It's a nice TV... Would hate to trash it because of this if it can be fixed somehow..

Any assistance would be most appreciated...

NOTE: I did find this comment that has a similar issue

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=60ln5400

But it's technical enough that I don't know if it's the same issue I am facing...
    Attached Files

Re: LG 60LN5400 Blows TCON Fuse

If the t-con is located at the bottom of the tv, it is likely that someone cleaned the screen and the liquid ran down and damaged components on the board that connects the t-con to the actual lcd panel. This is the board that runs along the length of the panel at the bottom of the screen.
    Or it could be that one of the side driver ic's are are shorted.
    Last edited by R_J; 10-30-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Yea, that's what I am thinking as well..

I can pull the panel and look at those panel boards.. Hopefully it's something that can be cleaned off or repaired...

Thanx for the reply..

Comment

Check the small ceramic caps on tcon for shorts, can use diode mode probe on each end if it beeps probably a short somewhere, if any beep unhook tcon from panel like you did one side at a time then both if needed and see if they still read bad.

Comment

Here are some pics of the LVDS Boards (???) attached to the panel..

No obvious shorts or burns... I find it highly coincidental that BOTH boards will short the TCON fuse..

Will check the small ceramic caps as suggested next..
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
            Check the small ceramic caps on tcon for shorts, can use diode mode probe on each end if it beeps probably a short somewhere, if any beep unhook tcon from panel like you did one side at a time then both if needed and see if they still read bad.
            It occurred to me that maybe the LVDS Boards off the panel were shorting against the metal panel cover that protects those panel boards..

No such luck.. I tried it without that metal shield and the TCON fuse still blew..

OK, now just to confirm..

The components marked in purple. Those are ceramic caps and put my meter in DIODE mode and if I get a short on the ends, that's bad??
            Attached Files

Comment

Can you check that the fault is located on the Tcon board or not by disconnecting all the cables to the Tcon and from Tcon to panel and measure the resistance from the Tcon fuse to ground and then start reconnecting them one by one checking each time.
              Last edited by dick_barton; 10-30-2019, 10:20 AM.
              Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                It occurred to me that maybe the LVDS Boards off the panel were shorting against the metal panel cover that protects those panel boards..

No such luck.. I tried it without that metal shield and the TCON fuse still blew..

OK, now just to confirm..

The components marked in purple. Those are ceramic caps and put my meter in DIODE mode and if I get a short on the ends, that's bad??
                Yes, just a probe on each end, they're marked starting with C, white one is fuse that will beep, if any others beep probably a short somewhere.
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-30-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                  Can you check that the fault is located on the Tcon board or not by disconnecting all the cables to the Tcon and from Tcon to panel and measure the resistance from the Tcon fuse to ground and then start reconnecting them one by one checking each time.
                  Will do.. Stand by..

Comment

OK with the TCON isolated and with the TCON hooked to the panel by both connectors, I get 3.9 to 4.16 ohms on the top part of the fuse to GND...

Comment

What is the supply voltage and fuse rating on the Tcon?

Comment

What is the supply voltage and fuse rating on the Tcon?
                        Here,,,
                        Attached Files

Comment

If it's a 12V supply and a 3 Amp fuse then 4 ohms will result in 3 amp current flow which it right at the fuse maximum rating. Anything less than 4 ohms will result in the fuse blowing.
                          Do you have access to a variable DC power supply?
                          Last edited by dick_barton; 10-30-2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

If it's a 12V supply and a 3 Amp fuse then 4 ohms will result in 3 amp current flow which it right at the fuse maximum rating. Anything less than 4 ohms will result in the fuse blowing.
                            Do you have access to a variable DC power supply?
                            Unfortunately, I do not..

Well, I do have a couple universal laptop power adapters.. 15v - 24v.. And some 9v and 12v wall warts...

Comment

That's a pity. If you did you could have set the current trip to 3Amps and then raised the voltage towards 12V to power the Tcon.

Comment

You checked the little caps on the panel boards for shorts?

Comment

Have you checked the ceramic capacitor next to the fuse ?

Comment

Sorry about the late reply.. Had to meet the wife for lunch.

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                    Yes, just a probe on each end, they're marked starting with C, white one is fuse that will beep, if any others beep probably a short somewhere.
                                    With my meter in DIODE MODE, most of them show .457 .037 etc etc..

But the one marked in blue and a couple smaller ones around it show .0L
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                      Have you checked the ceramic capacitor next to the fuse ?
                                      The cap next to the fuse shows .078v

Comment

use Ohm mode for checking for shorts/low resistance reading, not diode mode.
                                        " .037" That looks bad to me.
                                        I do not understand why using Diode mode to look for shorted/low resistance component.
                                        Last edited by budm; 10-30-2019, 12:28 PM.
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                        X