Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID of "Stealth" Capacitors: Flush Top, Blown Bottom Seal, Badcap or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID of "Stealth" Capacitors: Flush Top, Blown Bottom Seal, Badcap or not?

OK, you guys called me out. I can get a decent pic, but it took around 50 shots....very tough.

Anyways, the caps in question (4x):
    KZG 16v 1000uF

This is from an ASUS A8N SLI mobo, although on my current recapped MSI K8N Neo4 MOBO (see my first recap click here ), I have nearly the same issue (caps r 4x of KZG 16v 1500uF). Perhaps in my last post, the bung has dropped maybe 0.5mm, not 1.5mm as i previously stated.

1,2) Is this a characteristic of the KZG series? Maybe they are meant to do this?

On my current board the post voltages are a-ok too, and i measured the capacitors at 6100 uf (4x in circuit) using calibrated cap meter.

3) Are u sure these need to be replaced?

4) If so, are Sanyo WG series ok for both MOBOs KZGs?
    Attached Files

Re: ID of "Stealth" Capacitors: Flush Top, Blown Bottom Seal, Badcap or not?

Last Qs:

From the post voltages displayed, what can you tell about this board in terms of predicting its longevity/health? Only the reported CPU voltage fluctuated from 1.40 to 1.42, no others varied over time. Is this typical and nothing to worry about?
    Last edited by Ginguskhan; 05-15-2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

For the record, this is a continuation of this thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7056

I posted a "continued here" note in that thread. You would've been better staying in that thread. It's confusing to have multiple threads on the same question.

That bung is correct and normal. The cap is sitting on its "feet".

What is this "stealth" capacitor bit? I don't understand that statement.

As PC said in the other thread:

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
      If the cans are pushing off you should replace them AND check the power supply.

If these are KZG or KZJ and suspect then just replace them.
      Those Chemicon series -sometimes- have problems. [Usually heat issues.]
      Toast
      Last edited by Toasty; 05-15-2009, 10:51 PM. Reason: Added question & spelling
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Another question: Are you simply seeing if you should just replace these caps (fishing expedition), or are/were you having an issue with the board?

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Yes, WG are suitable replacements for KZG.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Sanyo WG, Rubycon MBZ or MCZ, Panasonic FJ or FL, and NIC Components NRSK or NRSJ are all good choices to replace KZG.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Guys, Sorry i started another post on the same issue, but I wasn't sure if anyone would see it. My first post had no pics, just a description of the same issue on another board, so nearly worthless post.

Can I or an admin delete my original post?

1) For Toasty: "Stealth" because there are no OBVIOUS signs the cap is potentially bad, though it sounds like these may be ok. Many caps are obscured by PCI slots, heatsinks and other MOBO components making this type of cap ID of failure difficult, compared to IDing vented/oozing caps. No problems with board, post voltages ok, though these caps have not been measured with cap meter

2) For Toasty again, I am so confused, you say "That bung is correct and normal. The cap is sitting on its "feet"." But then you quote PCBONES saying something completely different, that if these are KZG they should be replaced. Then PCBONES posts acceptable replacement caps....So, YES Toasty: the main question is should these caps be replaced or not? Why do you consider this a "fishing expedition"? This is badcaps.net!?!?! I thought this site was all about finding out if caps r bad?

3) For PCBONES What is this "can pushing off" you are talking about? Do you have a picture of a bottom blown capacitor via a "can pushing off"?

Last, as a continuation of this post (no new post!), I will take pics of my current recapped MSI motherboard with the same issue, but the dropped bung is more obvious. Perhaps twice the distance....or does this one sounds fine as well (4x KZG 1500uf)?
              Last edited by Ginguskhan; 05-16-2009, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Can pushing off, bung pushing out,,,,, same-same.
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...tachmentid=405
                http://bambooz.pytalhost.net/badcaps...TUR_busted.jpg

They don't always bloat but:
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...achmentid=5113
                I replace KZG on any board I'll be responsible to fix if it breaks.
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 05-16-2009, 09:26 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Toasty, you are a douche and please don't attempt to answer these questions with your sarcastic and demeaning replies....Have a good day Sir!

PCBones, for longevity's sake and while I still have access to professional equipment, F' da KZG caps. Ill replace all KZGs besides the few 470uf KZGs I have on my 939 boards. I have a few 6.3v KZG 470uf, but ill measure them next time im in the EE lab, but they appear visually OK and to be in non-essential circuits such as the onboard video and audio (which I don't use). I will hopefully report a 11x KZG kill count after next recap!

I just ordered:

6x Rubycon MBZ 16v 1000uf (to recap this ASUS mobo)

4x Sanyo WG 16V 1500UF (MSI MOBO 12v+ circuit)
                  1x Rubycon MCZ 6.3V 1800UF (MSI MOBO 12v+ circuit Vcore) --> 2nd recap will be posted to original recap on the MSI neo4 platinum 939 board @: My 1st Re-cap

PCBones: 1 Question: Should I post as a new recap under ASUS forum posts or on this thread for this ASUS SLI motherboard?
                  Last edited by Ginguskhan; 05-21-2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Nothing in my questions is or was sarcastic. Straight forward questions.

Ignored #2.

The list grows.
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Don't mind Toasty. He's just creative, ornery, and energetic. [Bonez gets like that too.]
                      He didn't mean anything bad by what he said. [And he helps LOTS of people here.]

Caps order looks good.

You can post either place.
                      I you wanna write it up as a mobo project thread then folks looking for mobo help will be more likely see it in the other category than here.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Thanks again PCBONES!

I have recapped both motherboards per your recommendation and I just posted a comprehensive recap report on the ASUS A8N Motherboard Recap here:

ASUS A8N MBZ RECAP

I have recapped my MSI K8N Neo-4 Platnium (7125. PCBv1, Bios version: 1.B) a second time and I will post the second recap once I get around to posting the board. It will be a continuation of the original thread here:

MSI 2 Part Recap

Interestingly, it appears that the stealth capacitor failure may be an very early indicator of capacitor failure from the recaps? Or perhaps I just recapped unnecessarily? PCBONES, you are welcome to comment on this.

-Ginguskhan's Recapping Stats
                        KZG recap/kill count this board = 6 caps (+rep)
                        KZG recap/kill count total = 15 caps
                        Total recap/kill count = 16 replaced caps!

Comment

IMPRESSIVE level of detail in your posts!
                          Nice work!

I don't think you replaced the caps unnecessarily, more like preemptively. It's not -guaranteed- that KZG will fail but they do have an uncomfortably high failure rate. You just avoided a potential problem before it could happen.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

IMPRESSIVE level of detail in your posts!
                            Nice work!
                            Agree. I was enjoying it too.

About the KZJ, i'm still waiting for any report if it has the same behaviour as KZG. For the purpose of testing it, im intendedly use it on several recapped mobo and PSU that runs 24h/day.
                            days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Working...
                            X