Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K52F REV 2.2 HDD don't turn on nor detected

Hello,

I have a K52F REV 2.2 motherboard that don't turn on the HDD or detect it. The HDD don't spin or do any turn on noise.
    All other functions are working, including the DVD drive, just the HDD part is faulty.
    The tests i have done:

1) Replace HDD - Same happen
    2) Test Laptop HDD on other computer - Works
    3) Check motherboard sata trace continuity to hdd - All ok
    4) Check voltage lines on HDD connector at SATA - OK (3.3v and 5v present)
    5) Update BIOS - Same happen
    6) Plug or unplug HDD while PC is on - PC auto turn OFF

I don't have an oscilloscope to check the sata data line.
    I don't know much about how the HDD should work, but does the hdd require the data line to turn on? aka spin? When i disconnect a data line from a desktop but keep the power the HDD spins.
    What can be wrong here?

I have attach the datasheet.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sn4k3; 05-20-2018, 08:51 PM.

Re: K52F REV 2.2 HDD don't turn on nor detected

If the drive stays turned off it means the communication between drive and mainboard is broken in some way. And yes, in laptops, sometimes drives will not spin if they have improper communication.

If you have not done so already, replace the four coupling capacitors CX5101 thru CX5104. You can get these from another mainboard, they are always next to the SATA ports and they are always the same value. If it still doesn't work after replacing the capacitors, we will go from there.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

check sata data lines from pch. In your case it might be faulty pch

Comment

Thank you all.
        I able to fix the problem, now it boot again.

The CX5103 and CX5104 are good, they were near the sata connector.
        After fight for a free board view for this model i found one and able to search the other two caps. The problem are with that two remaining caps. They are covered in some bad thing that coroated the pads and a bit of the trace, disconnecting the circuit. Caps itself were good, 10nF, but i replace anyway because cap pad is corroated and partial there.

I have attach the boardview.
        The damage & repair:

Attached Files
        Last edited by sn4k3; 05-21-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Good job and thanks for sharing. Corrosion causes faults in places you wouldn't think of.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            Good job and thanks for sharing. Corrosion causes faults in places you wouldn't think of.
            True, but that is strange, can a ceramic cap leakout and cause this?

Comment

Originally posted by sn4k3 View Post
              True, but that is strange, can a ceramic cap leakout and cause this?
              No, that green slime has come from somewhere else.
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                No, that green slime has come from somewhere else.
                Dam, in that case the spot was perfect. Better there than in other sensive IC
                It was the only spot with that thing and only surround that two caps

Comment

Working...
                X