5000!

City & State: Wyoming
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 13kv
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
What the hell is that wall of voodoo?! You do realize those woofers will sound better if they're in correct enclosures....
You do realize if i put those big bastards in an enclosure its gonna blast the 60yr old paper cones apart, right?

Marriage is the very definition of insanity.

Audiofools
Those who believe that $3,500 cables let them hear the audio more clearly, when the music was originally created with $25 cables.

A small problem gets bigger if you ignore it. A big problem gets smaller when you attack it. When you attack a small problem, you get a solution.

My "Extremest" views: I will spread my knowledge to whoever will receive it. It is their prerogative if they do bad with it.

My backup powerplant doesn't have a microcontroller.
goontron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #2162
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by goontron View Post
You do realize if i put those big bastards in an enclosure its gonna blast the 60yr old paper cones apart, right?
then they're not worth messing with anyway....that brittle, they're trash....especially considering they will sound like complete ass sitting in the open like that. Use them for clay pigeons. sealed or ported enclosure, and not overdriven, they might have a chance....you most certainly have nothing to lose with them.

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #2163
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
You have to size the enclosure (for whatever 'type' enclosure you choose) appropriately. In an undersized (or improper 'type' of enclosure), the enclosure works against you.

In open air, the driver works against itself!

I used to have a pair of quad 15" drivers but it got too expensive to keep moving them around the country (the woofer enclosures weighed 600#, each; another 100# for each of the squawker and tweeter enclosures -- triamped -- and you're just shy of an actual ton!). I then "downgraded" to a pair of Jensen Imperials. Then, downgraded to desktop speakers and earbuds!
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #2164
goontron
5000!

City & State: Wyoming
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 13kv

Quote:
then they're not worth messing with anyway....that brittle, they're trash....especially considering they will sound like complete ass sitting in the open like that. Use them for clay pigeons. sealed or ported enclosure, and not overdriven, they might have a chance....you most certainly have nothing to lose with them.
Eh, its just my testbed.... I keep them around since they are 1960's Zenith and huge! I may have to do the old antiqueradiosforum in-place recone and build enclosures one day...

Last edited by goontron; 07-13-2018 at 09:11 PM..
goontron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #2165
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Two days ago was trash day in a nearby neighborhood in my town. Seems like lots of people are moving in the summer now, as almost every week I see piles of stuff thrown out. Last week, I saw an older model 32" LCD TV, along with a mid-late 90's all-in-one stereo unit and speakers. Then a little further down the road, another all-in-one stereo from a similar vintage. I was going to go out and grab these later that night but started doing something else and it got too late. So I set up an alarm to do that in the morning. Of course, I just couldn't wake my ass up the following morning at all and thus ended up missing all that stuff. No idea if these things went crunch in the dump truck or if someone took them.

The week before that I missed an electric pressure power washer the same way. I guess I'm just not a morning person and need to stop telling myself that I will do this shit in the morning when I well know I won't.

Quote:
A Sony str-d515. Not the best find ever, but not bad. Nowhere near as much punch as my Yamaha, nor is the tuner worth a damn.
Still, it's a free amp and a decent brand name too (Sony). For those who have a newer LCD TV and no other speakers, this along with any pair of decent speakers would be 100x better than the TV's speakers... or half the crappy "soundbar" sound systems out there, for that matter.

Quote:
No you won't.
Not unless you really crank the volume up. (Probably 10 Watts or more). At less than 1-2 Watts of power, those cones will barely move, let alone rip themselves. Yet, 1-2 Watts in a proper ported enclosure will sound much louder. Not to mention you can get a much more linear frequency response.

Also free-airing the speakers may not be hard on the cones, but it puts a helluva lot more stress on the surrounds, especially if they are old paper ones like on the Sansui SP-7500X I found last summer. So you can really do more damage this way than in an enclosure.

And as TC said, if the cones are that brittle... well, then just wait to test the first "right" amp with some considerable DC on the terminals, and you can wave goodbye to those cones right there right then. Personally, I suggest you just coat the cones (at least the paper ones) with something like Elmer's wood glue. That should give them a bit more rigidity and strength. I've done it on water-damaged paper tweeters, and it restored their sound almost fully (before that, certain frequencies were just "gone").

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
Nothing too interesting here (mostly scored records, some 78 Shellac's and a big box of 45's, which had 15 or so good 70's - 80's rock singles that I didn't have in vinyl).
Nothing interesting?
Good vinyl is always a good score.

Quote:
I also found this on the side of the road (it was trash day):

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1531450973

I wanted it for the oven, which works.....good curing oven for powdercoating. 98% of all the random whatnots you will ever powdercoat can fit in a household oven. The door trim is missing, handle was inside the oven. I can care less about appearance, it'll be out in the garage. I love having a pickup and appliance dolly!!
Here, I regularly see appliances like that (especially ovens lately, for some reason) left on the curb. I don't have the transportation no space to store them, though, so I just pass by them. Several times I saw ovens like ours, which is an old Kenmore gas model. Works perfectly, though. Unfortunately, we may have to get rid of it if/when we sell the house, as these days everyone wants new "stainless steel" appliances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.George View Post
... Then, downgraded to desktop speakers and earbuds!
Quite the digression there.
But seriously - earbuds? Ugh!
I'd rather have mosquitoes sing and buzz in my ears than listen to "music" with earbuds.

In all honesty, I understand trying to downsize and whatnot... but you can at least grab a decent pair of cheap over-the-ear or on-ear headphones that will sound 1000x than any earbuds.

Last edited by momaka; 07-13-2018 at 11:36 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:00 AM   #2166
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
But seriously - earbuds? Ugh!
I'd rather have mosquitoes sing and buzz in my ears than listen to "music" with earbuds.
I only "listen to music" when I am actively "mixing audio" or creating soundtracks for multimedia presentations -- in which case, I use my Senny HD800's. They're bulky and inconvenient when I'm working, "normally" as I move around quite a bit between the various workstations, bits of test equipment in the lab, inside whichever prototype I'm developing, etc. And, ridiculous to wear while out jogging.

[I also use the Senny's when evaluating synthetic speech. They're actually not ideal for that as they don't block out enough background noise]

I use my MA750 Wireless when "in the lab/office" as they stick to my head better without the Senny's bulk.

When exercising, I prefer cheap/disposable earbuds as they are considerably more visible (pick bright colors other than the black MA750's which blend into my hair -- or, the BackBeat FITS that aren't even visible under my hair) to the folks that I encounter (less likely for them to try to engage me in conversation and result in my falling out of the "cardio" range). And, if I misplace them and/or music player I don't fret over it.

Quote:
In all honesty, I understand trying to downsize and whatnot... but you can at least grab a decent pair of cheap over-the-ear or on-ear headphones that will sound 1000x than any earbuds.
Why buy something "cheap"? I think I paid almost $200 for the MA750's (and you really don't want to know what the Senny's cost -- but, they're a business expense so billed to a client...)

Aside from actively listening while mixing (or evaluating speech), I only want "background music" to block out the other ambient sounds (in the office/lab/exercising). I definitely don't want that audio competing with whatever I'm focused on, at the time!
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #2167
brethin
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Owensboro, KY.
My Country: USA

Quote:
What the hell is that wall of voodoo?! You do realize those woofers will sound better if they're in correct enclosures....

Something nvidia, GTX580 or up. What ya got?
Nothing that new.
brethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #2168
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by brethin View Post
Nothing that new.
Any 3dfx stuff (agp or pci)? I'll always relieve someone of that old junk!
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #2169
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Scored freebies today

Grundig GV729 VCR
4 VHS tapes
Silver PS2 slim (chipped)
Yamaha YMF719 OPL3-SAX ISA Soundcard
P3 Katmai 500MHz Slot 1 (just needs a heatsink)
DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS, Intel Xeon X5450 3.00GHz, Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3, 8GB DDR2-800, LiteOn DVD-RW drive, RPC 500LBL 500W (rebuilt), AVerMedia Super 009 TV tuner, Samsung HD103SI 1TB, noname black case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #2170
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Nothing interesting?
Good vinyl is always a good score.
Well, after today I'm up to ~60+ Of good 45's (music I like). One stack of pre-1979 rock and disco, one of 1980's rock and pop. Plus a massive stack of stuff I don't care for (mostly junk, but there's some nice stuff there too). Plus I have a handful of LPs, and 4 shellac 78's (3 from the 40's, one is a 1925 Columbia)

I wish I could play more than 10 or so 45's at a time... but I'm not in the market for a juke box . Oh well.

(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #2171
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

I lived through the record era.....I have no desire to relive it. Good riddance!!