LG 55UF6450 4K Colored Ants Fighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 55UF6450 4K Colored Ants Fighting

While I am digging out the other 4K, wanted to get some insight on another 4K that came into the shop this weekend..

LG 55UF6450... Has a great clear picture until a device is plugged in.. Then all I get is colored "static"...

I was thinking Main Board, but I have a sneaky hope that it's just the TCON...

Cleaned and reseated the LVDS cables.. No luck...

The picture is kinda hard to make out the static, but it's there...
    Attached Files

Re: LG 55UF6450 4K Colored Ants Fighting

Main board is bad. I've had a couple of these set's, replaced main board & fixed. Expensive part, waited 2 months for part from parts distributor.

Comment

Check grounds on H DMI sockets make sure that it's properly grounded you could try to you take a wire and ground the H DMI socket directly to chassis ground to see that helps
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Thanx for the replies. I was thinking of putting up $$ to replace the TCON, see if that would fix it..

Sounds like it's a waste of money...

I'll try the grounding idea...

Thanx again ya'all...

Comment

These main boards commonly fail on this model, but like mentioned previously they are almost impossible to find unless you are willing to spend $370 from encompass parts.
          There are repair service available online that are cheaper such as the one linked below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Main-board-...0AAOSwGG5aKXTI

Comment

So is it XD chip bad?
            Do you reball them or replace?
            Thanks

Comment

Is it only from hdmi source, did you try rca or component input?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                Is it only from hdmi source, did you try rca or component input?
                If I remember correctly, it was from all sources.. I think I still have this flying around.. I'll pull it out and check it...

Comment

My bad, didn't realize it was 4 months old.

Comment

I grabbed a 55UF6430 from the dumpster. Same board as the 6450 it looks like. It came on, had the menu but hdmi and channels were the colored ants like stated. Well, I followed some youtube videos and baked the board like I used to with xbox in the toaster. Before doing so I noticed that there was a bow in the middle of the board like the processor was sinking through it. So I placed it onto a circular piece of metal hoping that when it was heated for a while that it would flatten out. I first let it sit for a few hours on the lowest heat to make sure it was dried out okay. Then I put some flux around the chip, ramped it up to 200c ish and let it stay like that for 10 minutes then cranked it up more then off and opened the door. I tried it out and it's still the same thing, although the bow is now gone and I can see the bga balls. But now the board is brownish from the flux residue and the stickers shriveled. Is there any way some repair shop would even look at it now if I attempted that?

Comment

No.

Comment

Why do people keep baking boards.

Comment

They read it on the Forum and in desperation try it in the hope of getting a few more months of use.
                          Last edited by dick_barton; 05-28-2020, 05:21 AM.
                          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I did it because it was free. A crapshoot. Figured I could get another board if it didn't work. Should have looked up how scarce they are first. Now it will wait in a corner with an ebay alert set for another board.

Comment

The problem is the main BGA IC. Re-balling is not a fix as it is problem is inside the IC. You need to replace the main BGA IC. This is problem on many of these similar LG 4K LED TVs.

Comment

Working...
                              X