jvc EM55FTR Won't power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jvc EM55FTR Won't power on

Hi I have a JVC EM55FTR that wont power on. Nothing lights up at all. I have tried searching the forum for help with this model TV and can't find anything. I am a newbie, so please be patient with me.

I have tried doing some trouble shooting, but my skills are limited. I have attached pictures of the inside of the TV.

I tested the fuse on the power supply and it is fine. I tested the pins on the back of the cable going to the main board and this is what I got:

Pin - Value - Result
    10 - DIM2 - .08V
    09 - Dim1 - 2.75V
    08 - BL_ON - 0V
    07 - PS_ON - 0V
    06 - GND - Continuity to chasis
    05 - GND - Continuity to chasis
    04 - GND - Continuity to chasis
    03 - 19V - 18.89V
    02 - 19V - 18.89V
    01 - 19V - 18.89V

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: jvc EM55FTR Won't power on

You have started the right way. Not familiar with this set but we first need to see if standby is OK. No led on front of set? What is voltage measured between legs (black to neg side leg red to other leg) of main capacitor/s on PSU both in standby and at turn on. It does look as if you are not getting signal voltages from mainboard to PSU so also read up on how to force PSU on to check it is working and to see if backlight LEDs come on. Your voltages given above didn't change when start attempted?

Comment

The fault does seem to point to a main board issue, shopjimmy does have eeproms available which might indicate thats the problem. If you have any freeze spray, try freezing the US4 eeprom ic. (unplug the tv, freeze the ic, plug in tv and try turning on)
      Last edited by R_J; 05-22-2018, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Most important-Disconnect the connector from the PSU to the Main Bd. The 19V you are getting on pins 1, 2 and 3 is the StdBy voltage. To self test this PSU you need to connect two 1.5V batteries in series to get 3.0V. You will also need to connect 2 wire so that you have 2 Pos (+ve) wires and 1 Neg (-ve) wire from the batteries. Connect the -ve wire from the battery to pin 4, 5 or 6 (GND) and one +ve wire to pin 7 (PS-ON) and the other +ve wire to pin 8 (BL-ON). Plug in the ac. The Backlight should come ON and stay ON, if they are good. This will prove your PSU is good. We could suspect the Main Bd. at this point. DO NOT ATTEMT TO TEST THE PSU WITH THE 19V FROM pins 1, 2 or 3.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

maxvalutech - I checked the voltages of the large caps on the power supply like you suggested. The 2 closest to the plug going to the main board I got 18.89 volts. the 2 on the upper left side of the PSU, were around 2.75 volts. The 2 below those were 0 volts and the large one in the center was around 161 volts. There is no standby light.

R_J - I tried freezing the US4 eeprom like you suggested and then plugged the TV in. After a minute or so, the TV turned on by itself and kept cycling through the what looked like a color test pattern. None of the buttons would respond. I unplugged the TV and plugged it back in and I was back to square one with nothing happening. It looks like the US4 eeprom is my problem.

How difficult is the eeprom to replace? I have replaced caps before without any issues. The eeprom is a little intimidating, being that it is so small.
          Last edited by j0gigs; 05-23-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

http://www.shopjimmy.com/jvc-em55ftr...eprom-only.htm
            8 legs, you can do it.
            Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-23-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgtzEnMWohw

Comment

eeprom is easy to change, Just make sure you get the right one for your board, Check shopjimmy.com

Comment

Thank you all for the help. I will give it a shot and report back.

Comment

Well, I received the chip in the mail from Shopjimmy. I watched the video nomoresonys posted. The TV will now turn on, but the picture is messed up. It almost looks like the t-con board is bad. Could this be the result of a bad install or could it still be the main board?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Which eeprom did you order? It should have been the 3655-0822-0395 If the tv tuns on, the ic is in properly
                      Last edited by R_J; 05-26-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

R_J, I purchased the eeprom for my board. I have model 3655-0802-0150 main board. Could there still be a problem with the main board or is it possible the t-con is bad based on the image I am now receiving? I tried unplugging and
                        replugging in all the connectors going to the t-con board.

When I froze the original eeprom and it turned on it was cycling through what looked like a color test pattern. I could not tell if it was a messed up image because the images were solid colors. I am stumped.

Comment

The reason I asked is there are 2 different eeproms for similar boards, So whose pictures are those in post #1? as that board is a 3655-0822-0150 and it uses a different eeprom than the 3655-0802-0150

If you installed the wrong eeprom, that could explain the fault as the data is slightly different, likely panel information.
                          Last edited by R_J; 05-26-2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

A_J, It looks like I ordered the wrong eeprom. Damn it!!!

Comment

That would do it.

Comment

Uh-o, wonder if shopjimmy will trade for the right one, they might.

Comment

The TV is fixed!! Unfortunately I had to replace the main board to do it, but it works. When removing the incorrect EEPROM, I messed up 3 of the solder pads and decided to just get a new one. Thanks to all who helped. This forum never disappoints. What a great group!

Comment

Thanks for followup.

Comment

If a few pads are screwed up, just install the new eeprom using the good pads, and run thin wires from the ic pins to the next closest solder connections, That is if you have the new ic and you wanted to have a spare board. Just a thought.
                                      But good to here it is fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                      X