Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello Sacon my old friend, I've come to desolder you again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Sacon my old friend, I've come to desolder you again.

Had a DAW come in, won't turn on. Opened the case and the GPU is filled with Sacon caps, 3 were busted. I recapped it with some Nippon Chemi-Con and NIC caps, needless to say it's much nicer off. I've just finished recapping it as I post this.

Also, for those who're gonna say I should've used 16v caps for the 12v smoothing, I didn't have any in stock currently, as literally everything uses those more than 6.3v's on the mobos. It's fine though, these are NIC NRSZ Low ESR caps, they'll be just fine.
    Popcorn.

Re: Hello Sacon my old friend, I've come to desolder you again.

lol errr did u just recap the 1500uF 6.3v ones with kzj?! dont u know that the kzg and kzj series of caps are considered as badcaps? u should have used panny fj, sanyo wg or rubycon mbz, mcz instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
      lol errr did u just recap the 1500uF 6.3v ones with kzj?! dont u know that the kzg and kzj series of caps are considered as badcaps? u should have used panny fj, sanyo wg or rubycon mbz, mcz instead.
      Yeah I had some old KZJ's laying around, I was torn between throwing them away or using them. The thing is though, KZJ's didn't fail right off the bat, they failed after a few years of use usually, and this PC has about 2 years at best of use left in it.

Plus the guy who uses this computer runs in in a studio, and this is the 3rd time he's blown capacitors on a computer from excessive heat. He puts the computer inside of this wooden box he made that has that pink wall insulation inside of it. Needless to say this isn't the first time this has happened, only the first time with the GPU.

In the end, from my experience with Dell Optiplex computers that have these caps all over the mobo, I know they fail after about ~3-5 years of light service.

I don't have many of them around anyways, should I throw them away though? I don't really think wasting a what I would consider a, "mid grade" cap is that good of an idea.
      Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
        Just went and checked this logiz, MCZ is a bad rubycon series for motherboards, KZG was the failing ncc. KZJ are alright, they did fail but it seems mainly because they were a much lower ripple than most, and in a gpu like this they're going to see a minuscule load.
        Popcorn.

Comment

mcz is not a bad series. it failed primarily because they were used in poorly designed computers that had poor thermal designs i.e. poorly ventilated cases overheating the caps and killing them, giving the false impression they are bad. anything can fail if abused.

also, the issue u pointed out with the gpu is temperature not load. the calculated lifespan of an electrolytic capacitor is related to its ripple current with respect to temperature. a cap experiencing low ripple but high temperature can also fail prematurely.

so i was going to recommend polymodding the gpu to make it last a long time. however, seeing that your customer is just into the buy and throw away hardware trend and not like me wanting my stuff to last a long time to reduce e-waste, polymodding is an unnecessary expense considering the high cost of polymers. since that is a gf8 series gpu, its affected by the bumpgate scandal. the gpu chip will probably fail first due to the high temperatures before the caps. ah well... i guess the cap choices were fine after all for this type of video card, how long u want it to last and what else will fail first instead...

Comment

Working...
          X