Actiontec GT701 modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actiontec GT701 modem

This modem died a couple days ago. It lost the DSL signal, and it wouldn't start up after being powered off for a couple minutes. Inside, there are two bad CapXon caps.

Here are the caps in this modem:
    C453: CapXon GF 1000uF 16V (bulging/leaking)
    C406: CapXon KM 470uF 35V
    C446: G-Luxon LZ 470uF 6.3V
    C427: CapXon GF 330uF 6.3V (bulging, bung blown out)
    C424: CapXon GF 22uF 6.3V
    C425: CapXon GF 100uF 6.3V
    C400: G-Luxon LU 47uF 35V
    C432: Panasonic FC 22uF 35V

Re: Actiontec GT701 modem

Originally posted by lti View Post
    This modem died a couple days ago. It lost the DSL signal, and it wouldn't start up after being powered off for a couple minutes. Inside, there are two bad CapXon caps.

Here are the caps in this modem:
    C453: CapXon GF 1000uF 16V (bulging/leaking)
    C406: CapXon KM 470uF 35V
    C446: G-Luxon LZ 470uF 6.3V
    C427: CapXon GF 330uF 6.3V (bulging, bung blown out)
    C424: CapXon GF 22uF 6.3V
    C425: CapXon GF 100uF 6.3V
    C400: G-Luxon LU 47uF 35V
    C432: Panasonic FC 22uF 35V
    We have a similar version (actiontec, same style of case design), and it had suffered from exploded capXons also. It still has a few capXon in there, but they are only the tiny ones - <10uF.

There were a bunch of 330uF 6.3v and 220uF 10v CapXon GF that had bulged, and pushed the case off the bung - leaning even more than the tower of piza!

Could we get some pics? Include a pic of the PSU too, some PSUs had bad caps also (like ours).
    Last edited by ben7; 10-07-2012, 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling missteak
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Here are the pictures. It appears that the 1000uF cap is actually C413. I think C453 is an empty location for a surface mounted cap.

There are some odd cap sizes. The 330uF cap is the only one that appears in the CapXon GF datasheet. The datasheet shows that 22uF caps start at 50V, and the size of the cap in this modem matches the size listed for a 63V cap. However, the voltage rating on this cap is clearly 6.3V. The 1000uF cap in this modem is only 12.5mm tall, and the 100uF 6.3V cap is 6.3mm in diameter.

The power supply is a linear 12V 600mA wall wart. I don't want to open it to check the caps. Its case appears to be ultrasonic welded together.
      Attached Files

Comment

And caps rarely fail in linears anyway, so you should be good just replacing the caps in the modem itself.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Is it just me or does the printing on that FC cap look a little cartoony and thus possibly fake?

Comment

It does look strange. I might be able to get a better picture, but my camera sucks. It always focuses on the last object I would ever want to take a picture of.

Comment

Here is the Panasonic FC.

In case you can't tell, this is what is printed in red:
              6N22
              FM
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi all, this is an old thread but I had this device stop working due to bad caps. Recently had a bad lightning storm in the area and the power went out for a few hours. When the power returned, the DSL modem showed the power LED as red so I though the phone lines where out. Long story short, called the DSL provider a couple days later to see if everything on their side was OK, it was, and did a few checks on the modem. They said it needed to be replaced. Figured I'd crack it open and take a quick look and see if anything looked out of the ordinary.

After opening, noticed two of the caps where bulged, one with some crust. The bad caps where:
                CrapXon 1000uF@16V at position C413 replaced with a Suncon 1000uF@25V
                CrapXon 330uF@6.3V at position C427 replaced with a Matsushita 330uF@6.3V

Replaced the bad caps with some that I had salvaged from old electronics and the modem is working again. Petty sure that the caps when bad a while ago but did not notice because the power to this device is rarely turned off.

Just wanted to leave this info here in case someone else runs into this problem.

I'm just glad that I don't have to buy another modem

Comment

I didn't repair this modem, but I always thought that replacing those two caps would fix it.

Comment

I keep on seeing these modems show up being sold, used, for around $5, mostly from people who probably went cablemodem or 3g/4g/... Ugh. I kept on buying them in hopes of finding one that I can hack the firmware but no such luck. At least I don't have to worry about running out of DSL modems:
                    Currently using: Actiontec Q1000
                    Still have: Actiontec PK1000
                    Still have: Actiontec GT701WG
                    Still have: Actiontec GT701 (which replaced the Cisco 678 that died on me... which was a replacement for the Cisco 675 that was no longer supported)

I wonder if that old Cisco 678 died of bad caps, then again I despise CBOS, crashes constantly from DoS attacks. The GT701 was a little better but not great. The PK1000 was better still, but the Q1000 is worse. Alas it has 802.11n...

Comment

I bought a bad $30 network switch (Linksys SRW2048) from goodwill computer works.

ALL caps in it were bad (22!). "Stone" brand. Replace them with nichicons that were a little too wide so I had some fitting issues. Still managed to get all replaced in an hour and a half and it worked perfectly (would freeze up before after a few mins). It was a managed switch I managed to find a an old enough computer with serial port and reset it back to default with telnet

blazingly fast, but right now I use an 8-port GB linksys cause I have no need for a rackmount 48 port switch when I only have 6 things hooked up
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Since the subject of wall worts was mentioned, there IS a way to open them up without destruction. Yes they are welded together. To separate the halves, find a solid smooth flat surface such as concrete, a vice anvil or the like. Use a small sized ball peen hammer to tap the weld politely all the way around the wort. Don't smash it open, just tap on the weld firmly. It will separate along the weld line and will be easy to re-assemble with super glue. That's how to do it. Most of the time, the simple ones get an open winding in the transformer and are trash. The more expensive ones with switching regulators can usually be fixed.
                        Is it plugged in?

Comment

Working...
                        X