Fan died on my video card...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan died on my video card...

...so I ripped it off (quite literally) and taped the fan from my projector (a little "TC" brand screamer, OK at lower speeds though) to a nearby PCI slot, then made a duct from more duct tape. The projector got an old 80mm Nidec Beta SL fan from my old Astec power supply that I took apart. The duct that I made is designed to force air through the heatsink and out the top front. It works quite well and keeps the heatsink cold to the touch even at 5 volts.
    Attached Files

Re: Fan died on my video card...

lol @ taped.... I've done some pretty shoddy things to PC's over the years, but I've never done that!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Tape fixes everything!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        Tape fixes everything!
        If it moves and it's not supposed to: Duck tape.
        If it doesn't move and it's supposed to: WD40

I've also used tywraps in a pinch on many an occasion to fix things in place

Comment

Originally posted by Elysarian View Post
          If it moves and it's not supposed to: Duck tape.
          If it doesn't move and it's supposed to: WD40
          what If it doesn't move and it's supposed to then you use duck tape AND WD40
          Last edited by goontron; 06-19-2013, 03:04 PM.
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Nice. I love ghetto modding

We do have a dedicated thread for this

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23719
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Nice. I love ghetto modding

We do have a dedicated thread for this

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23719
              That thread was "expired", however... (Maybe it should be stickied?)

Comment

^
                Nah, it's sill on the 1st page

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

^
                  Nah, it's sill on the 1st page
                  The last post was over a month ago...

Comment

^
                    nah, it's sill on the 5th page
                    ftfy
                    Last edited by goontron; 06-19-2013, 07:11 PM.
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Huh?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by c_hegge; 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Huh?
                        this
                        Attached Files

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Ah, 5 pages long. 95 more to go

Comment

it should be sticky to.. but it isn't yet.
                            thinking about reviving it with how i just hacked my dryer to stop squeaking.

on topic: good hack cheapie had to do something similar with the onboard video of my intel mobo.
                            Last edited by goontron; 06-19-2013, 10:16 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

You could get a new fan from Newegg for a few dollars. I have video card that I have put two new fans on. The fans were about ten bucks each. The card was a big AGP card with lots of memory onboard. If this PC had and AGP slot that card would be in it.
                              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                              Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                it should be sticky to.. but it isn't yet.
                                thinking about reviving it with how i just hacked my dryer to stop squeaking.

on topic: good hack cheapie had to do something similar with the onboard video of my intel mobo.
                                Stuck the ghetto thread.
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                  Stuck the ghetto thread.
                                  Good, now maybe even Shocker can find it
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                    Tape fixes everything!
                                    Correction, duct tape fixes everything ! ...LoL
                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naJ18PUo55o

Comment

Just a heads up, tried that with my old 9800GT after the fan quit working, the tape often comes loose at higher temps and the fan falls off.

Eventually settled on this haha, AMD stock cooler cable tied: http://i.imgur.com/RznzF.jpg

Probably my favourite mod, it hit 45*c max in furmark! Took up like 4 or 5 slots though.

Miss that card, it was already on its way out due to the fan being blocked for god knows how long, reflowed it about 8 times before it was gone for good.
                                      Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
                                        ...so I ripped it off (quite literally) and taped the fan from my projector (a little "TC" brand screamer, OK at lower speeds though) to a nearby PCI slot, then made a duct from more duct tape. The projector got an old 80mm Nidec Beta SL fan from my old Astec power supply that I took apart. The duct that I made is designed to force air through the heatsink and out the top front. It works quite well and keeps the heatsink cold to the touch even at 5 volts.
                                        Wouldn't be better to do it this way!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1392224562

Comment

Working...
                                        X