Old 01-10-2018, 02:09 AM   #1861
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Beirut
My Country: Lebanon
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Cheap/Free scores for this week :

1 - One HP laptop 670p I bought for 20 $ , the guy said its screen is broken . What was broken in fact was the hinges only , and in the following day , it was sold for 200$ .. I like trading , lol .

2 - Samsung 2.5 inch external enclosure .

3 - One Viewsonic Multimedia MIT-127 monitor for free , it was shutting after 3 seconds . This time , I wanted to try one of my oldest tricks when we used to repair very exhausted and old TVs . A heat gun and full re-soldering without changing any parts whatsoever (don't tell anyone please ), and there you go , it's shining like a star .

4 - One Apple Mp3 player .

5 - One Nintendo ds without adapter , but working .

6 - One Samsung Sata Hard disk with full melted sata interface due to ... To what exactly , I really don't know , but of course , i've seen it hundred times before . A little cleaning and soldering and the Hard is speeding .
jiroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:27 AM   #1862
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents
I'm a: Professional Tech

about that DS, the connector is pinout and footprint compatable with usb, just change the socket!
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:55 AM   #1863
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
about that DS, the connector is pinout and footprint compatable with usb, just change the socket!
First thing that got in my mind , no need for changing socket even , just cut a little bit of the extra plastic .
Old 01-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #1864
Dan81
BOOYAH!

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

I got these today:

Allview A5 Smiley - half of touchscreen works, needs a replacement otherwise LCD is fine, which shouldn't be too pricey.

Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9305 4G - needs a whole new LCD/Touch/Mainframe assembly. Will definitely look for one too as the i9305 is a pretty good variant of the S3.

Premier LC-B400ATX 400W - 2005 datecode w/ 2002 caps. Strangely enough the transformers were good (real 35 size) but the rest was utter crap. Harvested the transformers and installed them on another Deer I previously rebuilt that had tiny transformers.

Also bought an S-Video breakout cable for a Geforce FX5600 I have.

Now that I think of it, I have a lot of phones, with most of them needing a few little fixes:

Huawei Ascend G510 - USB port broke - I managed to install TWRP recovery and CM11 though. May see if it's able to run Lollipop, since there actually is a ROM for it.

Allview P5 eMagic - negative (-) pin on USB port broke - may try and ground the pin internally and see if it works afterwards.

Galaxy S4 GT-i9506 - this one needs just a new battery and a lot of storage space - the microphone that is used for recording audio (both in video and separately) developed some sort of static electricity, and I've read that this can be fixed by leaving the phone to record video for one hour.
Gigabyte GA-MA770-US3, AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz, Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3, 4GB DDR2-800, LiteOn DVD-RW drive, Seasonic SS-351HT 350W, AVerMedia Super 009 TV tuner, Samsung HD103SI 1TB, Delux MT375 case

Second rig:
ASUS K8N4-E, AMD Sempron 2800+, Manli Geforce 7300LE 256MB, 1GB DDR400, H-L DVD-RW, Pixelview TV Tuner, 80GB WDC HDD (IDE), Deer DR-A300ATX 300W, JNC RJA-52 case

Last edited by Dan81; 01-14-2018 at 12:11 PM..
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #1865
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz

the 'supermicro tree' has been pretty quiet the last few months....but these showed up last Friday....

2 brand new X7DAL's. Never mounted, or even taken out of their bags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180115_140302.jpg (318.6 KB, 79 views)

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #1866
ruky con
a fake rubycon

City & State: california
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 122.5VAC 59.9Hz

Here are some power supply's i got from HSC for 1.00 each.
Nemic-Lambda 5VDC 20A

Converter Concepts Inc. 5VDC 8A

Delta 16VDC 2.82A

3Y Power Technology [FSP Group]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180115_183512[1].jpg (2.91 MB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20180115_183533[1].jpg (1.95 MB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20180115_183618[1].jpg (2.93 MB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20180115_204942[1].jpg (1.96 MB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20180115_204927[1].jpg (2.62 MB, 79 views)
ruky con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #1867
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

A dozen 15K 300GB FCAL drives

And, another donor's idea of how to "protect" their data!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crunch.jpg (60.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Curious.George; 01-17-2018 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Photo
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #1868
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz

Cheap ebay score, Supermicro X7DCA-3. This isn't the mATX (X7DCA-L), this is an eATX. Unusual for the fact its a workstation board with an onboard SAS controller (Broadcom/LSI 1068E chipset, which is very solid). Those are usually the server versions. It was cheap, seller didn't know what he had....has 2x CPU's and 4 memory modules that he had no clue what they were....but for the price (a lowball offer that was accepted), I'll gamble the 'mystery CPU's & RAM'.... I have a SM eATX for this, or I wouldn't have bought it.
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #1869
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

@Topcat : Dual CPU were always a dream in Pentium III era . Nice catch ..

Free scores for this week :

1 - Sony MDR-666MV headphones . A professional one really . Customer said it was acting erratically , and joked about the 666 number , but i guess he wasn't kidding , lol , this headphone choose what it likes to play and disregard others ...It produce Echo or reverbrate on its own , lol .. Some songs play normally , some just won't . Maybe it's something went wrong in its circuitry , mostly related to audible frequencies . We'll see about ...

2 - A huge lot of HDMI cables and different adapters , Many external sata 2.5 and 3.5 ide , 4 UPS and 2 printers . Different Multi USB Adapters multipliers . I like when an office go broken

3 - One MSI Board 1151 socket . He's upgrading to a newer I9 .

4 - Two Core 2 duo boxes , complete .. Also upgrading .

5 - One Qosmio Satellite F45 , Nice white color . Changing CPU and two mosfets get it UP and going and running . Now i have to fix its Apple like DVD .

6 - Two 500 GB Samsung Hard disks ...Upgrading
Old 01-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #1870
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiroy View Post
Cheap/Free scores for this week :

1 - One HP laptop 670p I bought for 20 $ , the guy said its screen is broken . What was broken in fact was the hinges only , and in the following day , it was sold for 200$ .. I like trading , lol .
Lol, nice quick little profit there for you.

People give up too easily these days and throw away perfectly good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
It's smaller than a normal MOSFET and has a lot more legs. (about 4-5 I think).
That's still likely a single N-ch MOSFET, though. So you can replace it with a "free-standing" TO-252 and some thick copper wires for Drain and Source connetions.

Quote:
However, most of the GPUs I've found vary somewhere between MX440 and FX5200, and rarely a Radeon 9550/9600 ever pops up.
The Radeon 9550/9600 and 9500/9700 video cards are all mid-range cards. They were pricey back in the day, so that's why there aren't that many of them to be found. The MX420/440/460 and FX5200 were all low-end, cheap cards (they are practically the same thing, actually - a revised GeForce 2 core) and hence very popular. But they are crap when it comes to performance, though. Same goes for the Radeon 9200/9250.

Quote:
I do have a Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB found in that box. I might build a test rig with that card just to see if it can run NFS U1 and 2.
Oh, it will *run* those games, I guarantee you that. Just don't expect better than 800x600 resolution and more than 30 FPS on average. Otherwise, at least the Radeon 9200/9250 supports all of the visual effects (including crowds) in NFS U1 and U2. I finished those two games many times on that video card.
Good times!

PS: Low resolutions look terrible on an LCD so you might want to use a CRT monitor for those old video cards - preferably no larger than 17" to make the games look better .

Quote:
6 - One Samsung Sata Hard disk with full melted sata interface due to ... To what exactly , I really don't know , but of course , i've seen it hundred times before . A little cleaning and soldering and the Hard is speeding .
SATA power connectors are well-known to do that. I think it's mostly due to bad contacts (a combination of the connector's contacts using cheaper and/or RoHS-compliant materials and the fact that SATA connectors don't exert anywhere near the same force as a PATA/Molex power connector).
Hence why I still prefer my old PATA drives when it comes to reliability - Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 is my favorite, to be exact.

Quote:
Free scores for this week :

1 - Sony MDR-666MV headphones . A professional one really . Customer said it was acting erratically , and joked about the 666 number , but i guess he wasn't kidding , lol , this headphone choose what it likes to play and disregard others ...It produce Echo or reverbrate on its own , lol .. Some songs play normally , some just won't . Maybe it's something went wrong in its circuitry , mostly related to audible frequencies . We'll see about ...
Circuitry???
Rip it all out and wire them straight to a 3.5 mm connector cable (or 1/4" if you're oldschool ). If you still get problems then, that might be more worrisome matter.

By the way, the Radeon HD3870 video cards have 666 Million transistors. Yet none of mine (3) are dead yet.

Quote:
2 - A huge lot of HDMI cables and different adapters , Many external sata 2.5 and 3.5 ide , 4 UPS and 2 printers . Different Multi USB Adapters multipliers . I like when an office go broken
Nice.
One can never have enough spare cables. Even when you think you do, there's always a situation where you just don't have something, lol.

Quote:
5 - One Qosmio Satellite F45 , Nice white color . Changing CPU and two mosfets get it UP and going and running . Now i have to fix its Apple like DVD .
slot-loading DVD? Ugh, I'm not a fan of those - usually more complicated than needed and often too delicate - IMO, not a good choice for a portable device.

Quote:
@Topcat : Dual CPU were always a dream in Pentium III era . Nice catch ..
A kid in my high school many years back had a dual 850 MHz P3 rig. Most people laughed at his PC because everyone had a Pentium 4 PC then. I'm pretty sure his rig was faster than all of the P4 Willamate and most Northwood systems back then.

About 10 years ago, I had the chance to take a server room full of Dell P3 rights (there were a few dual P3 Precision workstations in there) along with about 100 or so beige Dell QuietKey keyboards... but I never took any of that (I was worried I wouldn't have the space and my parents wouldn't allow me). Too bad, though, because some of these systems sell for quite a bit now. And the beige QuietKey keyboards would have been awesome if I had taken all of them and cleaned them up. I haven't had a single person try it on my computer and tell me it wasn't a nice keyboard.

Anyways, I imagine all of that has probably gone to e-scrap heaven now. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.George View Post
A dozen 15K 300GB FCAL drives

And, another donor's idea of how to "protect" their data!
That's dumb. I hate it when perfectly good equipment is wasted.
So how is this a good score again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruky con View Post
Those look pretty good.
The Converter Concepts Inc. looks pretty old. Also, the fact that it mentions 44-440 Hz makes me think this one was designed for the aviation industry/use.

Last edited by momaka; 01-19-2018 at 05:57 AM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #1871
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Lol, nice quick little profit there for you.

People give up too easily these days and throw away perfectly good stuff.
It's just fashion following , a real virus in Lebanon .. I had once a young customer offering me his Iphone 6 for 50 $ , just to buy the new arriving Iphone 7 for 700 $ !! .. I simply refused as his father is one of my closest friends and maybe he won't appreciate the deal . His son sold it anyway , lol ...

Quote:
SATA power connectors are well-known to do that. I think it's mostly due to bad contacts (a combination of the connector's contacts using cheaper and/or RoHS-compliant materials and the fact that SATA connectors don't exert anywhere near the same force as a PATA/Molex power connector).
Hence why I still prefer my old PATA drives when it comes to reliability - Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 is my favorite, to be exact.
I tend to affirm your explanation 200% , as I never seen a PATA or scuzzi doing that ever . Talking also about gold plating , it's zilch now , terrible manufacturing , nothing is perfect anymore ...
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 is a very fast one , the best at speed

Quote:
Circuitry???
Rip it all out and wire them straight to a 3.5 mm connector cable (or 1/4" if you're oldschool ). If you still get problems then, that might be more worrisome matter.
I hoped it's humidity or water spill or something like that , since I prefer not to dismantle its sensitive parts , so i let it face a fan for four days , and it's still the same symptoms . Next , i'll open it , hoping to find a coupled bad cap ( lol ) or a rusting resistor . Changing its original tissue cable housing as a last resort would probably worsen its look , unless using some gold plated connectors and some thicker good cables .

[QUOTE]
By the way, the Radeon HD3870 video cards have 666 Million transistors. Yet none of mine (3) are dead yet.

[QUOTE]

Ah , yes , but Intel didn't dare to label Celeron 666 , ...

Quote:

Nice.
One can never have enough spare cables. Even when you think you do, there's always a situation where you just don't have something, lol.
I do have .. I do . The problem is , find it when needed !! , lol , a lot of mess that needs maybe one hundred years of organizing ..

Quote:
slot-loading DVD? Ugh, I'm not a fan of those - usually more complicated than needed and often too delicate - IMO, not a good choice for a portable device.

Yep ...The worst ever , and from Toshiba , lol ...

Quote:

About 10 years ago, I had the chance to take a server room full of Dell P3 rights (there were a few dual P3 Precision workstations in there) along with about 100 or so beige Dell QuietKey keyboards... but I never took any of that (I was worried I wouldn't have the space and my parents wouldn't allow me). Too bad, though, because some of these systems sell for quite a bit now. And the beige QuietKey keyboards would have been awesome if I had taken all of them and cleaned them up. I haven't had a single person try it on my computer and tell me it wasn't a nice keyboard.

Anyways, I imagine all of that has probably gone to e-scrap heaven now. :\
I've once sold a desktop dual CPU , the next day of assembling it , I felt its power although . I may say it sold itself ...Maybe will search for another board again , something more modern of course .
Old 01-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #1872
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents

mikay786 has not posted for a while - i miss his bootsale raids!!
stj is offline   Reply With Quote