Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

I have an Asus K8V-X SE board with nippon-chemicon KZG 6.3v 1500 microfarads capacitors defective, I made full VRM the polymod, with capacitors os-with SEPC 820 microfarads 2.5v. At the moment it works very well, I am writing this post with this computer.
    Attached Files
    Gaming pc:
    nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
    Workshop PC:
    Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
    Server:

Re: Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

It's a fairly "modern" motherboard, in terms of VRM design, so it should have no problem with poly caps around the CPU.

I see at least two more free/unpopulated cap spots on the CPU V_core (CPU low side). I like to fill those in when I can. If you got spare poly caps, feel free to do so. Should make the VRM even more quiet in terms of noise - good for overclocking or undervolting (depending if you want to get more performance or low power use - those AMD chips are awesome under-volters - if there is even such a term ).

Comment

its not "fully" vrm polymodded unless the VRM-IN (the panasonics next to the parallel port) are polymers too

i'm guessing 16v 1500uf?
      polys will have to be 16v, and just find the highest uf you can, you won't find 1500
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

you can, you can go to 2000uf

however, you cant leave it like that - every time you look at it you will want to replace the remaining caps too!

Comment

yeah I stand corrected, you can get higher uf. With some crazy 8A ripple and .08Ω

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...u22R%2fg%3d%3d
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            It's a fairly "modern" motherboard, in terms of VRM design, so it should have no problem with poly caps around the CPU.

I see at least two more free/unpopulated cap spots on the CPU V_core (CPU low side). I like to fill those in when I can. If you got spare poly caps, feel free to do so. Should make the VRM even more quiet in terms of noise - good for overclocking or undervolting (depending if you want to get more performance or low power use - those AMD chips are awesome under-volters - if there is even such a term ).
            Ok, I'll put more to compensate for the loss of capacity. So far with the 6 there is no abnormal noise, and the capacitors are cold, and I have it overclocked at 2.4GHz to 1.4v
            I think the polymod output worked well, but since you say so I will put more capacitors in the empty areas.
            Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
            its not "fully" vrm polymodded unless the VRM-IN (the panasonics next to the parallel port) are polymers too

i'm guessing 16v 1500uf?
            polys will have to be 16v, and just find the highest uf you can, you won't find 1500
            The old ones are 6.3v, the rail is going to work less than 1.8v, these sanyos that I put are those used for CPU VRM, I think they are sufficient, although as said the companion would be well put more capacitors in the empty areas.
            I have been able to make a stable 2.4GHZ OC to 1.4V on an AMD 3000+ (2GHz stock)
            Originally posted by stj View Post
            you can, you can go to 2000uf

however, you cant leave it like that - every time you look at it you will want to replace the remaining caps too!
            You mean the 16v input?
            They are pannys, they are in pretty good condition, I made the polymod to the output of the CPU, excuse me explain badly, so far I have not had a single problem with the computer, I even get a stable 2.4GHz OC.
            I think that with 6 of 820 microfarads is enough, I understand that the polymer capacitors equals one of electrolytic of more capacity, for example poly is 820, electrolytic is equivalent to 1500 microfarads.
            Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
            yeah I stand corrected, you can get higher uf. With some crazy 8A ripple and .08Ω

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...u22R%2fg%3d%3d
            The 16v of the rail of 12v I have not changed, they are panny and they are in good conditions, what I replaced was the VRM output faulty nippon chemicons of the CPU, that does not exceed the 1.8v, with the SEPC of 2.5v is sufficient.

These are the capacitors I put on it:
            https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...b854787bb1.pdf

Thanks for your tips .

In the area marked in red in the image, they are the ones that change for the Sanyo.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by kevin!; 08-17-2017, 09:07 PM.
            Gaming pc:
            Workshop PC:
            Server:

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
              Ok, I'll put more to compensate for the loss of capacity. So far with the 6 there is no abnormal noise, and the capacitors are cold, and I have it overclocked at 2.4GHz to 1.4v
              I think the polymod output worked well, but since you say so I will put more capacitors in the empty areas.
              Well, it's not necessariy, like I said. But I like to do it anyways, just because I always tend to have extra caps from Xbox 360 motherboards that are suitable for around the CPU.

2.4 GHz at 1.4V? Nice!
              Is the 1.4V on the core stock, or did you reduce it? I have a 3200+ Newcastle core, and it runs on 1.5V stock. I haven't tried over-clocking it much, but when under-volted to 1.325V from the stock 1.55V, I get 7-10C drop in temperatures load-idle temperatures, respectively. So instead of 53C under load, the CPU maxes out at 46-47C.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                Well, it's not necessariy, like I said. But I like to do it anyways, just because I always tend to have extra caps from Xbox 360 motherboards that are suitable for around the CPU.

2.4 GHz at 1.4V? Nice!
                Is the 1.4V on the core stock, or did you reduce it? I have a 3200+ Newcastle core, and it runs on 1.5V stock. I haven't tried over-clocking it much, but when under-volted to 1.325V from the stock 1.55V, I get 7-10C drop in temperatures load-idle temperatures, respectively. So instead of 53C under load, the CPU maxes out at 46-47C.
                Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to have overclocked 2.4GHz to 1.4v, I worked, but today I plugged the computer and started to hang, I discovered that it is the fault of the AGP bus, it seems that even if I put it locked at 66MHz, when I go A FSB so high the chipset becomes unstable, It's a shame because the CPU holds up very well and likes very much the overclock, to see if I get a better motherboard and I can give more overclock.
                The temperature is maintained above 114 ° in the bios, it seems to me a suitable temperature.
                Gaming pc:
                Workshop PC:
                Server:

Comment

did u try to overclock the fsb to more than 250mhz? the via k8t800 pro and non-pro chipsets both have a fsb limitation of around 250-260mhz. any higher makes the chipset unstable even with working pci/agp locks. it is for this reason that ppl preferred nforce chipsets for overclocking. however, the flip side is that nforce is affected by bumpgate.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                    did u try to overclock the fsb to more than 250mhz? the via k8t800 pro and non-pro chipsets both have a fsb limitation of around 250-260mhz. any higher makes the chipset unstable even with working pci/agp locks. it is for this reason that ppl preferred nforce chipsets for overclocking. however, the flip side is that nforce is affected by bumpgate.
                    I had it at 240MHz, at 233MHz it works better.
                    Gaming pc:
                    Workshop PC:
                    Server:

Comment

Working...
                    X