I was bored. Silly Celeron D overclock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I was bored. Silly Celeron D overclock

Years ago I had a Celeron flat desktop box that was over clocked to hell and back. I don't remember the specs and I bought it the way it was. After I got another Intel based PC I put the celeron under my desk. It wasn't hooked up to anything. I used it as a foot warmer. It did a great job too until it smoked out one day. Winter is coming. I wish it was still working under my desk. Yes I think that you could have cooked some popcorn on it too.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Comment

My Dell P1110 21" CRT doubles as a heater... along with my high-performance PC which eats around 180W just sitting at the desktop. Perfect for this time of the year but a pain in the summer.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I have a 21" Hitachi CRT and a Dell Optiplex 170L (2.8 GHz Pentium 4 with HT) in my dorm room, but they can't help much when you have retarded roommates that constantly walk in an out of the apartment all of the time or open the windows every so often because they don't know how to use the oven/stove and end up setting of the fire alarms.

And given the apartment building I'm in is built so cheap, the temperature between the living room and my room is at most 4 degrees apart. The living room isn't very warm. Warmer than outside, but not by much. As a result, I'm running a space heater over here to keep my room warm.

Maybe if I bring all of my computers and my CRT monitors, my room may be just cozy enough. But all of my computers are old and loud, so I can't leave them on overnight.

Comment

I cant believe it. I found some old parts laying around, and started building a spare PC.
          It's and old acer aspire e500, with a P4 620 series CPU @2.8Ghz 2MB L2 Cache, 1GB DDR2.
          Found out it's possible to install a pentium D on it with just a BIOS update. Done that installed an old D930 running @3.0GHz 4MB L2 Cache and it works
          So I grabbed a 250GB SATA II HDD, installed win 7, and everything seems ok. Then I open up youtube, and the video lags like crap, even on 480p, sound is ok though?
          The CPU has a load of around 50-70%, RAM around 50% so it should be ok?
          It has a nvidia 6200 series graphics card, could that be the cause? It doesn't make any sense to me? Is it possible that this CPU is not good enough for watching youtube anymore?

Comment

Try a better video card and it should work well.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I have a Asus 8800GTS 320MB laying around somewhere, not sure if it's going to fit well in the case. Also need to change the PSU, dont think the stock one could handle the graphics card?

Btw, nice overclock on that celeron D!
              Wish I had a mobo like that to play with.

Comment

Unless the latest (as in the last two months or so) Flash Payer/YouTube updates did something dramatic, you should still be able to play videos on that computer. I would say, check if CPU Hyper-Threading is enabled in BIOS first. Also try some different browsers.
                As a last resort, you can always try IE6 (although, I would definitely not recommend you do so unless you install a custom Hosts file). At least I always get the best results with IE6, since my hardware is old. But that browser is now unsupported by just about every website, so I can only use it to watch YouTube videos and not search or browse within YouTube.

Of course, with Windows 7, you don't really have that option.

Comment

Yes the HT is enabled in BIOS, damn this board doesn't have any OC options!
                  I truly cant believe it, why does it require so much CPU power just to watch vidoe's on youtube? Like in the previous posts, I can remember when it ran pretty well on all P4 soc.775. They could optimize the Flash player a little bit, but they don't seem to care.
                  The 8800GTS requires a 6xpin PCIe power cord thing, so it's out of the game. I tried it without the nvidia 6200, just with the integrated graphics card and the videos are much smother even on 480p, although I'm watching them in the small size window, on 1920x1080 resolution with google chrome.

Comment

Maybe you're running YouTube with HTML 5 rather than Flash? From what I've heard, HTML 5 is even worse.
                    Maybe give FireFox a try.
                    I've been wanting to try out FF 3.6 with an old Flash version 10.3 to see if YouTube will run in some basic mode. If it does, I bet it won't be laggy at all.

Comment

I used FF for years, just recently I switched to Google chrome. Not saying one or other is faster/better but will for sure switch to the one that has less CPU load.
                      If they did some CPU benchmarks that would be more useful.
                      Gc is double as fast in html 5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbblnSyqhn8

Comment

The "results" in that video are flawed. They could have changed the scale of those charts so it looks like there is a difference when the difference is really too small to notice. The scale and units are missing completely in those charts, and their testing procedure is missing as well. They could just be making up numbers or doing everything possible to make Chrome win their silly competition. Also, a lot of benchmarks just give a higher number for the hardware or software that is the newest or coolest. It's cool to hate Firefox, so they are going to skew the results so Firefox loses in every category.

More honest test results are needed. You might have to try the other browsers on that computer and see which performs the best.

You will probably need a better video card (one with hardware acceleration support in Flash) to get YouTube videos to play. My laptop's CPU probably isn't much faster, but the hardware video decoding helps it play YouTube videos at any resolution. Normal YouTube video playback is only 10 frames per second with little stutters every few seconds.
                        Last edited by lti; 01-08-2014, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3d0 View Post
                          It doesn't make any sense to me? Is it possible that this CPU is not good enough for watching youtube anymore?
                          I think I can answer this directly now.

Last week, I revived my first computer and upgraded its CPU. It's a Socket A system now with an Athlon XP 2500+, 512 MB of RAM, and a Radeon 9200 SE video card. I tried a YouTube video in 480p fullscreen with my monitor resolution set to 1024x768 @ 85 Hz (the usual for all of my CRTs), and the video ran near flawlessly. This is what I watched:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHQr0HCIN2w

However, here is the big thing to note: I was using Firefox 3.0.19. And according to the Flash utility in my Control Panel, I have plug-in version 10.3 (I'm guessing this is for Internet Explorer) and Active-X version 11.1 (which I believe is the version Firefox was using). Flash 11.1 is quite old by now. As a result (either due to FF 3.0 being too old or Flash 11.1 being too old - I'm not sure which), YouTube didn't appear exactly the way it should. For example, the video thumbnails did not display. The share options also didn't appear IIRC. But, the video was playing quite smoothly after all. Granted it isn't a video with lots of intense moving scenes. Still, I think I got stutter maybe only once or twice and it was barely noticeable. As for CPU usage, it was staying between 70% and 90%, peaking at 100% in fast-moving scenes.

So that Pentium 4 should be more than enough.

By the way, the only other thing I can think of is if your P4 is thermal throttling, so check its temperature.

Comment

Just so you all know, if YouTube detects you're only on Flash Player 9, it'll give you the "old" silver player. I know this because I was testing Gnash on a raspberry pi, which only supports 9, and it used that player.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              I think I can answer this directly now.

Last week, I revived my first computer and upgraded its CPU. It's a Socket A system now with an Athlon XP 2500+, 512 MB of RAM, and a Radeon 9200 SE video card. I tried a YouTube video in 480p fullscreen with my monitor resolution set to 1024x768 @ 85 Hz (the usual for all of my CRTs), and the video ran near flawlessly. This is what I watched:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHQr0HCIN2w

However, here is the big thing to note: I was using Firefox 3.0.19. And according to the Flash utility in my Control Panel, I have plug-in version 10.3 (I'm guessing this is for Internet Explorer) and Active-X version 11.1.
                              It's the other way round. Plug-in is for Mozilla/Opera/everything else, ActiveX is for IE. IE is the first, last and only browser that supports ActiveX. So you were using 10.3.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                It's the other way round. Plug-in is for Mozilla/Opera/everything else, ActiveX is for IE. IE is the first, last and only browser that supports ActiveX. So you were using 10.3.
                                That explains the good results then .

Originally posted by Rulycat
                                Just so you all know, if YouTube detects you're only on Flash Player 9, it'll give you the "old" silver player.
                                Nice, good to know. I think I know how I will set up my next computer now
                                If I like it, I might change all of my computers to Flash Player 9. I miss the old days when YouTube could actually run on just about anything.

Comment

Yeah I remember the socket A!
                                  Think they came around when intel had the soc.478. That was actually my first PC, with a P4 prescott 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, ATi 9250. That was some power back in the days
                                  Reading all this I think there are to many factors that contribute to the CPU usage for examle Browser ver. + Flash player ver. + screen resolution + graphics card etc...

Comment

Originally posted by 3d0 View Post
                                    Yeah I remember the socket A!
                                    Think they came around when intel had the soc.478. That was actually my first PC, with a P4 prescott 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, ATi 9250. That was some power back in the days
                                    Reading all this I think there are to many factors that contribute to the CPU usage for examle Browser ver. + Flash player ver. + screen resolution + graphics card etc...
                                    In 2001, IIRC, socket 478 haven't even came out yet and that was when the rare socket 423 was in use. Willy had a T-bird-like 1.75 V Vcore. Socket 423 was the worst when it came to support!

Socket 423 was vaporware like PC RDRAM!

478, IIRC came out in 2002, when the first Northwood came out.

And the first Prescott was in 2004, when the first-gen socket 775 was released.

That gen of socket 775 rarely had poly caps. Often meh electrolytics at best.

First-gen dual cores were in 2005, IIRC.
                                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-18-2014, 04:40 PM.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                    X