X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pirating

Is pirating bad
    besides for microsoft and (or) apple?
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: pirating

sometimes yes, sometimes no

if you like a piece of software buy it

in some cases, downloading a $800 piece of photo editing software to learn how to use it, and get a job using it, I would say, if you don't make any money off it, then, no
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I was more refering to windows and osx
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Legally, it is a bad thing.

Can you get away with it? Often times yes.

Generally, my rule is that if it is still being sold by the company, then pirating is a no-no. If it is long not supported (like win 98/ 2k), then it depends...

This isn't really a good discussion for a public forum...
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yeah I agree this is not a good place to discuss this.
          At a minimum, do it in the VIP forum!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Yeah I agree this is not a good place to discuss this.
            At a minimum, do it in the VIP forum!
            agreed if he had 100+ posts. he doesn't.

Not going to lock it but I will keep an eye out. please no links or nothing specific.
            sigpic

Comment

Win2k?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                Win2k?
                windows 2000?
                sigpic

Comment

Oh duh
                  to me pirating illegal yes immoral Mabey.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

In my personal opinion, some pirating is 'justified', and some is 'unjustified'. There are some smaller software companies out there that make a great product and desperately need your money to stay afloat and pay their bills, not to mention fund improvements for future versions....but on the other side of the coin, there are some greedy ass companies that dont need more money, they just want it. These companies (both good and bad) will remain anonymous.

IMHO, entertainment bootlegs (ie, music, movies, etc) RIP THEM ALL OFF!! Disney and the rest of the hollywood fruitcakes were the backers of SOPA and PIPA (which thankfully the world saw the disaster that would have been and killed it off), and for such a communist idea, they deserve to never make another dime. /rant.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

If you're in the United Corporate States of America, you should know the answer to "Is Pirating wrong?"

It can land you in very deep trouble with the corporations that own our politicians and control our country.

So in a very practical sense, Yes, Piracy is wrong. It can cost you all of your money and possessions and a great deal of time as well.

In a Philosophical sense, that depends upon your personal philosophy.
                      If you feel that your right to use something outweighs the right of its creator to be paid for his/her/their time and effort spent creating it, then you would probably feel justified in "borrowing" it for awhile.

Why not go Open-Source instead?
                      That way, you're enjoying all of the benefits of "Piracy" without the risks and there's lots of other great benefits as well.

Take the example of W2k.

Why steal a crappy, Holes-In-The-Wall (Windows) OS and run the risk of prosecution, viruses and general crappiness when a far better alternative is available for FREE?

Namely Linux. Why not try Ubuntu?

Why steal a crummy yet incredibly expensive program like MS Office when OpenOffice is out there?

Same with music. There's loads of really great and completely free music out there. Why stick with what everyone else is listening to?

2¢ Keri
                      The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane View Post
                        If you're in the United Corporate States of America, you should know the answer to "Is Pirating wrong?"

It can land you in very deep trouble with the corporations that own our politicians and control our country.

So in a very practical sense, Yes, Piracy is wrong. It can cost you all of your money and possessions and a great deal of time as well.

In a Philosophical sense, that depends upon your personal philosophy.
                        If you feel that your right to use something outweighs the right of its creator to be paid for his/her/their time and effort spent creating it, then you would probably feel justified in "borrowing" it for awhile.

Why not go Open-Source instead?
                        That way, you're enjoying all of the benefits of "Piracy" without the risks and there's lots of other great benefits as well.

Take the example of W2k.

Why steal a crappy, Holes-In-The-Wall (Windows) OS and run the risk of prosecution, viruses and general crappiness when a far better alternative is available for FREE?

Namely Linux. Why not try Ubuntu?

Why steal a crummy yet incredibly expensive program like MS Office when OpenOffice is out there?

Same with music. There's loads of really great and completely free music out there. Why stick with what everyone else is listening to?

2¢ Keri
                        I agree with everything in this post, except for one thing. Windows is not neccessarily crappy; it could be, but that is a matter of opinion! I think it isn't, you think it is. Nobody is right or wrong. Just accept that others might consider OS X crappy and Windows amazing. I personnaly like both :P
                        Now, Linux Mint is a little less bloated than Ubuntu, but both are great Windows-replacements if you don't do anything that specifically requires Windows.
                        As far as music goes, you can use Pandora or Grooveshark or Spotify; it's free, but it's the same music!

Comment

people pirate MS office because thats what most people know how to USE. Change anything around normal people and they bitch and moan that they don't know how to use it, even though they don't even TRY.

2000 has some advantages over ubuntu still. lots of hardware compatibility, lots of software compatibility, but yeah unsupported by pretty much everyone now

if a comptuer can take 2k it can take xp, without any hacking, cracking or activation bypasses on its own. M$ has given everyone mostly free reigh on activations of OEM comptuers, and thier keys can be used on non oem computer. But I find if it is an OEM computer, if its decent enough, it will have an xp key

is it pirating? sort of, but not entirely. Is it against M$'s EULA, ohh yeah
                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                            people pirate MS office because thats what most people know how to USE. Change anything around normal people and they bitch and moan that they don't know how to use it, even though they don't even TRY.
                            Yes. We need to stop teaching kids to use MS Office, and teach them to use free and open alternatives. What if Office is discontinued by Microsoft? OpenOffice.org is mostly free/open source so will probably be available forever, if there's enough momentum behind it.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              <SNIP>
                              IMHO, entertainment bootlegs (ie, music, movies, etc) RIP THEM ALL OFF!! Disney and the rest of the hollywood fruitcakes were the backers of SOPA and PIPA (which thankfully the world saw the disaster that would have been and killed it off), and for such a communist idea, they deserve to never make another dime. /rant.
                              One of the saddest things I see is people who use words and concepts that they obviously do not understand. This is a case in point. The Communist philosophy, direct from Karl Marx is "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." Software piracy is the expression of that philosophy. SOPA and PIPA were the logical consequence of Capitalism. "Those with the gold get to make the rules."

One of the thing that annoy me about pricing policies for software are the wide variation in cost for the same product. When Windows 7 was introduced a 3 user 'Family Upgrade package' cost under $25 at Costco. A few months later the price was $60, Now the same package costs $150.

PlainBill
                              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I prefer LibreOffice - it was forked from OpenOffice when Oracle bought Sun because some of the developers didn't like Oracle - it gets updated more frequently and I like the green instead of blue color scheme

Comment

personally if i am going to pirate something it is because it's priced outragously or in some cases i like to try it before i buy it. If it's good I will go out and buy it after that. Such as a data recovery software that seems to work better then recuva sometimes

Comment

That's what I'm doing geting this windows for vmware
                                    That I got ledget no keycrack vmware that is running on mint linux!

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                      One of the saddest things I see is people who use words and concepts that they obviously do not understand. This is a case in point. The Communist philosophy, direct from Karl Marx is "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." Software piracy is the expression of that philosophy. SOPA and PIPA were the logical consequence of Capitalism. "Those with the gold get to make the rules."

One of the thing that annoy me about pricing policies for software are the wide variation in cost for the same product. When Windows 7 was introduced a 3 user 'Family Upgrade package' cost under $25 at Costco. A few months later the price was $60, Now the same package costs $150.

PlainBill
                                      With all due respect, that was not meant literally....come on now, I know you're wiser than this....so to be 'politically correct' and not require an off topic tangent, replace "communist idea" with "despicable idea"... is that ok?
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

What about the programs that give you a 30 day free trial? And you have a tweak that keeps giving you the free trail over & over? How could that be wrong when your still doing what they gave you >>30 days...Its just over & over...LoL

Comment

Working...
                                        X