Seagate 1tb Click Of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seagate 1tb Click Of Death

As long as we're at "show and tell" here's three drives that still work...

The oldest is the Fujitsu on the right, a 350 MB scsi one... not using it anymore as the only scsi adapter i have is on ISA.
    Attached Files

Comment

The sticker above the label on the MPE3064AT would be a seal, so consider it fuxx0red. WHY are the stickers removed anyway???

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post

The oldest is the Fujitsu on the right, a 350 MB scsi one... not using it anymore as the only scsi adapter i have is on ISA.
        That generation of Caviar is the most problematic Western Digital I ever had! (Ones that look like one above.)
        IIRC, I had a 1996 1 GB and it goes to click of death after 238 MiB!

And trying to format normally with MS-DOS' Format.com results in error message from Format.com, "Format terminated".
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
          The sticker above the label on the MPE3064AT would be a seal, so consider it fuxx0red. WHY are the stickers removed anyway???
          Looks like it just covers a screw, hence the "warranty void" warning. Unless the screw was removed, simply taking the sticker off shouldn't be an issue.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
            The sticker isn't magical, so the drive isn't fu**ed by it being removed. Under it, there's a needle tip sized hole with a porous material within the drive that lets air get inside - as the platters heat up from friction they change their thickness by a few microns, the air inside the drive also warms up so the air pressure inside the drive changes. The valve is there to maintain the air pressure right and the disk heads at the proper height.

The volume of air under the sticker is generally enough for these old drives but the stickers themselves let air through - they're just put there to prevent water from coming in.

Scenic.. the Caviar drive is from the times I was network administrator in an university campus - I remember there were about 3 or 4 drives on the shelves in the warm room where the servers and switches were located. So you may be on to something, but this one was working fine until I no longer had use of it considering the small capacity.

later edit... as the drive is on the shelves behind me, here's a macro shot of the vent... and the back side... oh, the times when Cirrus Logic actually meant something....
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mariushm; 03-03-2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

There's too much gunk to tell in the picture.

Comment

Codenames???

"Snowmass" (Barracuda ATA IV)
                "Alpine" (Barracuda 7200.7)
                Marked on the base of the drive.

Comment

Will it happen again???

Remember this???

http://www.pcworld.com/article/11704...ml#tk.mod_stln

Somehow I think they'll end up doing it again...

Comment

I thought they had just decreased the warranty period following the floods?
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Yeah, they did. Sad.

I was trying to say they might end up doing it again when people complain about 1 year (like they did back then). I used to like Seagate, but now it looks like a great time to switch to Western Digital. The next new drive for me will probably be a WD Black. What's funny is that the Blacks still have five years, while the Seagate Constellation drives are down to three. Oh come on now. You just HAVE to be kidding me.

The only good thing I have to say about the new 1TB/platter Seagate is that they FINALLY used ramp loading in a mainstream desktop drive. The short warranty and questionable robustness don't bring me to buy one now.

Comment

Working...
                      X