Guys at MSI were wise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys at MSI were wise...

They put a Teapo right under the PCI-E slot while other caps are Panasonic/Sanyo. With the added heat of graphics card (there is no integrated graphics), that Teapo is surely going to die, like happened in this case, causing instability. And with graphics card installed, there is no way to see that capacitor, so you can't even see that it has failed...
    Attached Files

Re: Guys at MSI were wise...

Is that an 8 mm diameter Teapo?
    If so, then no surprise. Seems like their 8 mm caps just aren't built that well at all.

On the contrary, I have seen Teapo used regularly in HP DC5000 SFF "mini-oven" computers. The 10 mm ones on the CPU high side almost never bulge, even though they do get very hot. And the 8 mm ones further from the CPU don't run that hot, but they regularly bulge. Go figure.

But yeah, Teapo in a motherboard is asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      Is that an 8 mm diameter Teapo?
      If so, then no surprise. Seems like their 8 mm caps just aren't built that well at all.

On the contrary, I have seen Teapo used regularly in HP DC5000 SFF "mini-oven" computers. The 10 mm ones on the CPU high side almost never bulge, even though they do get very hot. And the 8 mm ones further from the CPU don't run that hot, but they regularly bulge. Go figure.

But yeah, Teapo in a motherboard is asking for trouble.
      Yes, it was 8mm cap, Teapo SZ 470uF 16V

Just replaced it, doing stress tests now.

Comment

From what I've seen caps on the input side of a vrm have a much lower failure rate than the caps on the output side. I think the input side is much less stressful. Higher voltage, lower current. Lower current, lower ripple. Lower ripple, lower failure rate.
        sig files are for morons

Comment

Working...
        X