HP EliteOne G1 video issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP EliteOne G1 video issue

I recently aquired a HP EliteOne G1 all in one computer. I tested it and got the result you see in the attached image. Since the computer (according to the specs) has both: a Radeon HD7650A MXM video card and integrated video, I naturally assumed it should work without the MXM card.

However, it didn't work! Instead, I got a white screen followed by alternating red-green-blue screens. This goes on indefinitely.

I tried to put the MXM card back but now I don't get anything on the screen. The computer turns on as usual, I hear one beep but the screen remains blank.

My guess is, a new MXM card should solve the problem. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
    SainT
    Attached Files

Re: HP EliteOne G1 video issue

Originally posted by Half-Saint View Post
    I recently aquired a HP EliteOne G1 all in one computer. I tested it and got the result you see in the attached image. Since the computer (according to the specs) has both: a Radeon HD7650A MXM video card and integrated video, I naturally assumed it should work without the MXM card.

However, it didn't work! Instead, I got a white screen followed by alternating red-green-blue screens. This goes on indefinitely.

I tried to put the MXM card back but now I don't get anything on the screen. The computer turns on as usual, I hear one beep but the screen remains blank.

My guess is, a new MXM card should solve the problem. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
    SainT
    Yes, it look like faulty card, you can try to heat up the chip with the hot air station as a temporary fix, no option in the bios to to turn off the discrete video?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
    Become a Badcaps supporter
    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
    Thanks to all supporters.​
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
      Yes, it look like faulty card, you can try to heat up the chip with the hot air station as a temporary fix, no option in the bios to to turn off the discrete video?
      I can't access the BIOS as I don't get anything on screen anymore. Should have tried while it still worked

I'll try to bake the card in the oven, maybe that will make it work long enough for me to be able to enter BIOS and disable the card.

Comment

I can't access the BIOS as I don't get anything on screen anymore. Should have tried while it still worked

I'll try to bake the card in the oven, maybe that will make it work long enough for me to be able to enter BIOS and disable the card.
        No no, oven is not a good idea, use hot air on the chip crystal. Use hot air station or hot air fan. Cover the surrounding area with kapton tape or aluminum foil.
        P.S. Remove the cmos battery, to reset the bios defaults and try without MXM card.
        Last edited by Vesko356; 02-05-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I have seen several different techniques for this. I have aluminum tape and I have a hot air station but I haven't used it much. What temperature and fan speed should I set the station to for optimal results? What nozzle width? Some people use a very wide nozzle while the others use narrow (about 1 cm).

EDIT : I tried resetting the CMOS but it made no difference.

Comment

I have seen several different techniques for this. I have aluminum tape and I have a hot air station but I haven't used it much. What temperature and fan speed should I set the station to for optimal results? What nozzle width? Some people use a very wide nozzle while the others use narrow (about 1 cm).

EDIT : I tried resetting the CMOS but it made no difference.
            I would say 450C , 3/4 fan speed, circular motions over the chip cristal, small or medium nozzle 1~2 cm, up to 30 sec in time would do the job perfectly.

Comment

I would say 450C , 3/4 fan speed, circular motions over the chip cristal, small or medium nozzle 1~2 cm, up to 30 sec in time would do the job perfectly.
              By "chip crystal" do you mean the core? I just did a heating session on 220C and waiting for it to cool so that I can test it.

Comment

By "chip crystal" do you mean the core? I just did a heating session on 220C and waiting for it to cool so that I can test it.
                Yes, look at the attached image.
                Hot air at 220C is not enough.
                Attached Files

Comment

Quick update:
                  the heat gun trick worked and the computer is back in working order for now. I didn't use any flux so I'm not sure how long this will work but at least I know that the video card was definitely the culprit.

Comment

Quick update:
                    the heat gun trick worked and the computer is back in working order for now
                    Excellent.
                    I'm not sure how long this will work but at least I know that the video card was definitely the culprit.
                    The fault was obvious right away, let's hope it will work like that for a while.

Comment

Excellent.

The fault was obvious right away, let's hope it will work like that for a while.
                      True but what puzzled me was the fact that it refused to boot without the card.

Comment

Working...
                      X