Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire One D270 Netbook has no Power or Battery charge Indicator

Dear fellow members of this forum,

I received a "dead" Acer Aspire One netbook from a friend a few days ago to tinker with. The problem is when I plug it into the power supply and plug the battery into it to charge, I do not get any indicator lights to come on. I tried to check to see if there is any power going to the battery and found none. I have downloaded the correct schematic for the machine but am having a lot of trouble trying to locate the components on the board do to there small size.

PL 6 has no voltage across it that I can find. Is there a way I can test this to make sure?

I also downloaded the ZE7.brd file for this along with eagle but was not able to get the file to open in eagle. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom
    Computer and Small electronics troubleshooting and repair

Re: Acer Aspire One D270 Netbook has no Power or Battery charge Indicator

what board it have ? nav50 nav70 ?

does it work with a fully charged battery ?

Comment

Originally posted by tfs2015 View Post
      I also downloaded the ZE7.brd file for this along with eagle but was not able to get the file to open in eagle. Any help would be appreciated.
      Eagle is a PCB design tool, and expects board designs it has made itself.

Your .brd file will be a totally different thing, try the boardview software here: http://laptopserviz.bg/enview/bvsoft/

Some file extensions are used by multiple software\companies, totally different files but same extension.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...753#post536753

open it with boardview4
        Attached Files
        Last edited by meritosari; 03-12-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

The board is a DA0ZE7MB6D0 rev D. I don't know if it will work with a full battery because the battery i got with it I believe needs to be recharged. I was under the impression that if I plugged in the power adapter and put the battery in it that it would charge and I would see the charge indicator light lit. This is not that case, as I don't get any lights or indicators when it is plugged in and the battery connected. Also pushing the power button on it has not effect either. I measured the voltage at the power switch but could not find any. So I need a starting spot of components to check for voltages.

Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
          Tom

Comment

without power and battery:

1. check if any damage components
            2. check on pq38 & pq41 if short, D-S then S-D using DMM with diode mode

with adapter
            1 check voltage on pq38, D-S-G (5678=D, 123=S)

Comment

Originally posted by meritosari View Post
              without power and battery:

1. check if any damage components
              No damage seen

2. check on pq38 & pq41 if short, D-S then S-D using DMM with diode mode
              pq38 = red lead on S black lead on D = open no ohm reading
              pq38 = red lead on D black lead on S = .895 ohms

pq41 = red lead on S black lead on D = open no ohm reading
              pq41 = red lead on D black lead on S = .844 ohms

with adapter
              1 check voltage on pq38, D-S-G (5678=D, 123=S)
              pq38 = red lead on S, black lead on D = 0.00 vdc
              pq38 = red lead on D, black lead on S = 0.00 vdc
              pq38 = red lead on D, black lead on G = 8.67 vdc

I hope this all the information that you needed for this. I am new at testing ic's and stuff. I am used to testing single components, like resistors and things like that.

Comment

Sounds like the power isn't even getting to PQ38.

Where's the schematic?
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by tfs2015 View Post
                  pq38 = red lead on S, black lead on D = 0.00 vdc
                  pq38 = red lead on D, black lead on S = 0.00 vdc
                  pq38 = red lead on D, black lead on G = 8.67 vdc
                  you should put the red probe on the components and the black probe on the ground if you do a test voltage.

Comment

Where's the schematic?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...2&d=1425308439

Comment

Originally posted by meritosari View Post
                      you should put the red probe on the components and the black probe on the ground if you do a test voltage.
                      Whoops, read too fast and didn't notice he was measuring across the FET!

Indeed, measure S,G,D with respect to Ground and post results.
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

OK, Sorry about that here is the reading I got with the Black lead on ground:

pq38 S=123 = 19.21 vdc
                        pq38 D=5678 = 19.21 vdc
                        pq38 G=4 = 8.64 vdc

Comment

That makes more sense. So you're getting power in and out of PQ38 which means the problem must lie downstream from it.

What are the voltage readings on PQ41?
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

pq41 S=123 = 19.21
                            pq41 D=5678 = 0.00 to 0.22 but fluctuates
                            pq41 G=4 = 18.60 but drops to 0.00 in a few seconds

Comment

Looks like that means the EC is pulling that D/C# signal high to turn on PQ40 which turns off PQ41. That seems as it should be because at that point with the charger plugged in, PU2 should start charging the battery, rather than the battery supplying VIN through PQ41.

But PU2, the ISL88731C is not outputting any voltage to charge the battery.

Funny you get fluctuating voltage on the BAT-V line though. I wonder if one of the decoupling capacitors or something there is shorted?

What is the resistance between PQ41's Drain (BAT-V line) and Ground, with the battery removed and the charger disconnected?
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

open

Comment

ops should've been .887 ohms

Comment

How did you connect the probes? Did you measure both ways and get the same reading?
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

red lead on pq41 pins 5,6,7,8 black lead on ground = open
                                      black lead on pq41 pins 5,6,7,8 red lead on ground = .873 ohms

this seems correct if PC10, PC91, PC90, PC9 are working correctly
                                      Last edited by tfs2015; 03-14-2015, 06:46 PM. Reason: missing information

Comment

Still not sure why I cannot get any power to the power button or led indicators unless this is all part of the same problem. As a side note I found and bought a new cmos battery and put it in if this helps with anything.

Comment

Working...
                                        X