• Show
Clear All

Re: HP Dv6800 Southbridge reflow /Optical Drive detection

So far, rock solid.... All is well.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Quick! sell it on Craigslist before it dies again!!
      Just kidding,
      it's amazing it got ressurected...
      Nice score for you then I guess :P

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        Quick! sell it on Craigslist before it dies again!!
        Just kidding,
        it's amazing it got ressurected...
        Nice score for you then I guess :P
        I'm Not sure what to do with it... After eventually getting the right screws (it's missing quite a few from the base), I may sell/trade it... but on the other hand, it's not a bad laptop. For school use, the Latitude D630 I use is better suited but this one has a few perks too.

If anybody has a creative idea, post it...
        sigpic

Comment

Lately I've been using it as an "I'm too lazy go grab the D630 out of my van" laptop... (what I used to use the D400 for). Mainly so I can get some POH on it (and to verify the quality of my reflow.

So far it's been doing pretty good. I've been keeping an eye on the temps; the CPU has gotten no hotter than like 47C, the hottest I've seen the GPU/Chipset has been 63C and that was a brief peak during a youtube video (Flash really seems to tax it, must be the hardware acceleration). Better than the 70ish temps my D630's GPU sometimes produces...
          sigpic

Comment

GPU/Chipset - you mean it's a Geforce 6150? RUN...
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              GPU/Chipset - you mean it's a Geforce 6150? RUN...
              7150. Not 6150.

Why, what's the issue? I thought bumpgate was with descrete GPUs only?

Edit- 7150M is on the unofficial list.

Oh f**king well. I only paid $30 + shipping for it... Just the optical drive is worth that much (it's a DVD+RW Lightscribe).

FYI, the datecode appears to be 11 2005 (either November or week 11, I forgot which).
              Last edited by ratdude747; 02-08-2013, 05:11 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

This is what helped me also, after reflowing, use expoxy to hold the edges of the chip to the board and use a coper shim most importantly i cut out the main fan voltage and connect fan voltage from usb 5v, also cut the yellow and white wire of the fan and leave only the black and red, this will make fan continue spin and this can make reflow last for at least 6 to 12 months.

Comment

I've tried removing the yellow wire from the connector, that would make fan spin at a constant speed but then it would crash when you tried to use the webcam. I have never tried routing voltage from the usb, is it safe to use the usb after that?

Comment

I wouldn't... every jack has current sensing. In fact, I bet the fan already is:

My guess is that the fan is on the same power bus as the webcam (which my particular laptop is sadly missing), and by running the fan at full speed, is getting close to the .5A usb is rated for. Turn on the webcam and the power limit is hit, turning off the bus and stalling the fan. The computer detects the stalled fan and crashes the system to protect the chips.

Besides, running the fan at full speed can't be good for it... I left my fan stock, and my temps haven't been too awful.

Hopefully the reflow lasts...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      I wouldn't... every jack has current sensing.
                      I have safely wired a fan controller to an USB port on an Acer. No problem.

The computer detects the stalled fan and crashes the system to protect the chips.
                      Trust me... it doesn't. You can boot 'em with the fan unplugged and they'll start up just fine. It could either be just current limiting, or not enough caps on that rail.

Besides, running the fan at full speed can't be good for it... I left my fan stock, and my temps haven't been too awful.
                      That is correct, those fans weren't designed to run at full speed all the time. They do wear out fairly quickly if you do that. Anyway, the fan has little to do with the SB - i'd rather worry about the NB/IGP.
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

^ I don't think mine has an SB... Or a true NB either... mine's a single nvidia chip + AMD hypertransport.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sorry, i tend to forget. Checked my dv9000 mobo and it indeed has only other chip besides the 8400M, so that's NB/SB in one piece.

Comment

Whatever.

So far so good with the laptop... posting from it now... slick little laptop... not as nice as the loaded DV7 I'm screenswapping for my dad's coworker's brother... but unlike that, this one is 100% MINE.

Still not sure what to do with it long term... Not sure if it's sell-able since it's been reflowed.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'd still sell it. These things fail anyway, be they untouched, reflowed or reballed. So you don't have to feel bad about it. But if it's your best laptop, keep it and be proud of your work.

Comment

I'd still sell it. These things fail anyway, be they untouched, reflowed or reballed. So you don't have to feel bad about it. But if it's your best laptop, keep it and be proud of your work.
                                Second best... My D630 is a better laptop in terms of:

-CPU performance
                                -RAM (for now, they'll be equal soon)
                                -GPU
                                -Battery life
                                -HDD
                                -Screen resolution
                                -USB ports
                                -Durability
                                -Port replicator usage
                                -wifi (intel 3 atn. AGN vs atheros 2 ant. BG)

The Dv6810 is better in:

-card reader (D630 has none, may be equal if I cough $25 for a PCMCIA 32 bit reader)
                                -DVD drive (Dv6810 has lightscribe, D630 doesn't)
                                -Audio (stereo vs mono)
                                -Screen size
                                -Multimedia keys

I personally give the edge to the D630...

edit- rechecked battery wear levels, one battery has 29% wear (not bad), the other has 56% wear (ouchie). I think I know which one was tock and which was a later buy (both are OEM, but different revisons).
                                Last edited by ratdude747; 02-11-2013, 07:08 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

The D620/D630 are reliable workhorse laptops, i had to do a display swap on one a couple weeks ago. They *do* look somewhat dated, but they're solid.

Comment

The D620/D630 are reliable workhorse laptops, i had to do a display swap on one a couple weeks ago. They *do* look somewhat dated, but they're solid.
                                    Hence why it gets the title of "college workhorse".
                                    sigpic

Comment

To those who asked about the BGA station... It's a BlackJack SolderWerks BK6000. Never noticed until now that it also has a desolder gun... Pretty wicked unit actually.
                                      Last edited by ratdude747; 02-12-2013, 01:39 PM.
                                      sigpic

Comment

BGA failed tonight. Once again the IDE controller is a no-show... But this time the BT still shows up.

Looks like I may have to part this one out/ sell as-is... I don't see the point in trying another reflow given the poor yield.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Re: HP Dv6800 Optical Drive detection

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
                                          We all could wish for that idea!!! Then laptops would rock when it's time for upgrade!!! however some models, albeit super expensive laptops like alienware, falcon northwest have removable grapics cards , some older dell's had removable graphics but proprietary to dell not standardized like mxm tech.

I would say the most likely reason they don't do that is cost,,,they want to sell tons of laptops and adding sockets or slots adds lots of cost and they have profits in mind.
                                          however now intel is going to bga for cpu now so everything will be bga not just gpu anymore

Comment

Working...
                                          X