Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP Dv6800 Optical Drive detection

Originally posted by thesloc View Post
    Yep, although any good BGA station should have one already (a thermocouple thermometer).

Look up how some professionals do it on YouTube, particularly "BGAReflow" which I think is one of the best reflowers out there.
    i use k type thermalcouple and and a reflow station works great...never killed anything on reflow....however reball is another story that has me needing lots of practice lots and lots of practice extremely challenging...

Comment

Re: HP Dv6800 Southbridge reflow /Optical Drive detection

Originally posted by nish_pinto View Post
      Looking at the diagram, can anyone tell me what is Soak Time?
      means letting the heat soak in for a period of time...

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        Whatever... Worst comes to worst, I can part it out. But I'd rather fix it...
        should have no issues, i reflowed more hp dv series then i can count and funny thing is you will be surprised how there are different revisions of same darn model and how the entire line of dv from 2000 to 9000 all have this issue...and some of them have extension cards some don't ...good luck....

Comment

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
          copper shims help a lot with temps works better, a lot of laptop manufactures use tin foil with thermal compound on both sides, all the copper shim does is make tighter contact with the die and has better heat transfer then the aluminum foil that i see a lot in laptops... it drops the temps down very well and speedfan shows nice lower temps...but hey everybody has opinions...
          I respect your opinion but from a mechanical point of view, the pad is more than just a non-metal shim... it actually uses the "squish" of the pad to ensure even contact.

Generally, the CPU is the only device w/o a pad; it gets anchor bolts from all sides of the chip. However, in order to contact the other chips while still contacting the gpu and to allow height tolerances on both the chips and heatsink, a method of thermal contact that allows slight height and/or contact angle variances is required.

The reason contact angle also comes in is that since the non-CPU chips are effectively clamped from only one side, the angle of contact will actually be ever so slightly less than 0 degrees.

Not to say you couldn't get away with a shim... but understanding the mechanical engineering involved with heatsink design, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

---

The BGA station doesn't have a thermocouple probe or thermometer... just an air temperature indicator (and a soldering/desoldering gun/iron thingy). It's made by black jack.
          Last edited by ratdude747; 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by nish_pinto View Post
            looking at the diagram, can anyone tell me what is soak time?
            150 c

Comment

The BGA station doesn't have a thermocouple probe or thermometer... just an air temperature indicator (and a soldering/desoldering gun/iron thingy). It's made by black jack.
              You need to find one, even a cheap IR thermometer will do. Just anything to let you know what the real surface temperature on the chip is.

Comment

I respect your opinion but from a mechanical point of view, the pad is more than just a non-metal shim... it actually uses the "squish" of the pad to ensure even contact.

Generally, the CPU is the only device w/o a pad; it gets anchor bolts from all sides of the chip. However, in order to contact the other chips while still contacting the gpu and to allow height tolerances on both the chips and heatsink, a method of thermal contact that allows slight height and/or contact angle variances.

The reason contact angle also comes in is that since the non-CPU chips are effectively clamped from only one side, the angle of contact will actually be ever so slightly less than 0 degrees.

Not to say you couldn't get away with a shim... but understanding the mechanical engineering involved with heatsink design, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

---

I am of the same opinion as you, they cant lie flat,
                thats why thermal pads are used in the first place by the manufactures, and continue to be use bye them.
                Still it would be better if GPU etc were all screwed down, (we can dream on)

Comment

Why couldn't they let the GPU be removable like the CPU?

Comment

Generally, the CPU is the only device w/o a pad; it gets anchor bolts from all sides of the chip. However, in order to contact the other chips while still contacting the gpu and to allow height tolerances on both the chips and heatsink, a method of thermal contact that allows slight height and/or contact angle variances is required.

---

I use phidget system with a netbook and a k type thermocouple works good and got it used on ebay complete setup for 30 bucks here a link to what the pcb looks like http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1051_2 hope that helps ya if you don't have one...

Comment

Why couldn't they let the GPU be removable like the CPU?

We all could wish for that idea!!! Then laptops would rock when it's time for upgrade!!! however some models, albeit super expensive laptops like alienware, falcon northwest have removable grapics cards , some older dell's had removable graphics but proprietary to dell not standardized like mxm tech.

I would say the most likely reason they don't do that is cost,,,they want to sell tons of laptops and adding sockets or slots adds lots of cost and they have profits in mind.
                      Last edited by heavymachines; 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM. Reason: add details

Comment

Take a look at this cheap multimeter it's a cen-tech p37772. It comes with temperature setting and should work for a reflow . The're available in any harbor freight stores for around 20 bucks or try ebay you might get lucky and find it cheaper.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by opamp View Post
                          Take a look at this cheap multimeter it's a cen-tech p37772. It comes with temperature setting and should work for a reflow . The're available in any harbor freight stores for around 20 bucks or try ebay you might get lucky and find it cheaper.
                          No thanks.

I'm getting a real multimeter (not some HF POS) soon with a temp probe. Like a UEI 393 or Extech 530.
                          sigpic

Comment

I know this is a disposable meter, I meant to get it just for the reflow purpose (cheap thermocouple). It seems to me it would be overkill to get a $200 meter to fix a $20 board (no offense) but then again your expensive meter would pay for it self if you keep doing reflows.

Comment

Haha, yeah, even I've used the thermocouple on my even to do successful reflows.

It's all about technique.

Comment

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
                                copper shims help a lot with temps works better, a lot of laptop manufactures use tin foil with thermal compound on both sides, all the copper shim does is make tighter contact with the die and has better heat transfer then the aluminum foil that i see a lot in laptops... it drops the temps down very well and speedfan shows nice lower temps...but hey everybody has opinions...
                                I just got 2 copper shims from ebay. Shall compare temp results with and without the copper shims. Thanks for the information you provided.
                                http://nishantpinto.blogspot.in/

Comment

Did the reflow today... and after a quick laptop rebuild, it so far is running well. Posting from it now via Live USB (my live cd still in the drive booted fine too).

Thanks to everybody who helped in this thread.
                                  sigpic

Comment

What method did you use?
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                      What method did you use?
                                      BGA station, paste flux, and a mutimeter with temp probe?

edit- I also used the temp profile posted in this thread.
                                      Last edited by ratdude747; 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Good job !

What type of BGA Station? What kind of flux ?

Comment

Good job !

What type of BGA Station? What kind of flux ?
                                          Some Blackjack BGA/Soldering combo station the College has in the lab

Flux was a Syringe of MG chemicals Rosin Paste flux I had leftover from a previous oven reflow.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X