HP Dv6800 Southbridge reflow /Optical Drive detection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Dv6800 Southbridge reflow /Optical Drive detection

Today I unboxed a HP DV6800 that Igot as a fix-me project.

The main issue was that the optical drive was dead. When I first tested it, I plugged in a bootable disc and the drive spun it up just fine... but BIOS didn't even notice that the drive even was part of the system.

My first thought was that it was a dead controller in the dvd drive... to test it, I grabbed an old TEAC CD-rom drive and swapped it for the dvd drive.

To my surprise, it didn't detect that drive either. Exact same symptoms. I'm 99.9% sure the test drive is good...

I looked through bios and all... no luck there.

The drive connector looked to be in good shape... luckily, its visible from the outside

Is there any known fix for this other than a new mainboard (I'm not counting external USB drives as a real fix)?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: HP Dv6800 Optical Drive detection

Reflow Southbridge Chips

Comment

Originally posted by degutji View Post
      Reflow Southbridge Chips
      Really?

Everything else seems to work fine... What sucks is I don't have a reflow station. I have access to one at my college though...

But before I go there, anybody else think that's the issue?
      Last edited by ratdude747; 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

well it is a dv series in my time dealing with them i have had few different symptoms due to reflow issues one was wireless refused to work till reflow, the most common is power up and no display, others have turned on for a sec and shut right down within 2 seconds, graphical artifacts, even had one where it would display to external fine but not its own display all was fixed with a reflow.....hp are hot running poorly designed beasts...i have found if you copper shim it and use high quality thermal grease you can drop temps down good 10 to 15 degrees Celsius some of them like the dv 2000 i had to cut a bigger hole for intake and used a heavy duty screen mesh to keep fingers and other unwanted things out and maintain ventilation .....though i will admit i have not ran into your specific problem but it would not surprise me it a reflow issue.....some of them have a extension board internally for the cd drive so you can with the board out connect the drive directly to the motherboard without that extension card see if it works..

Comment

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
          well it is a dv series in my time dealing with them i have had few different symptoms due to reflow issues one was wireless refused to work till reflow, the most common is power up and no display, others have turned on for a sec and shut right down within 2 seconds, graphical artifacts, even had one where it would display to external fine but not its own display all was fixed with a reflow.....hp are hot running poorly designed beasts...i have found if you copper shim it and use high quality thermal grease you can drop temps down good 10 to 15 degrees Celsius some of them like the dv 2000 i had to cut a bigger hole for intake and used a heavy duty screen mesh to keep fingers and other unwanted things out and maintain ventilation .....though i will admit i have not ran into your specific problem but it would not surprise me it a reflow issue.....some of them have a extension board internally for the cd drive so you can with the board out connect the drive directly to the motherboard without that extension card see if it works..
          I don't do copper shims... I usually swap the pads to a better compound (I have some material for that).

No extension card either.

IIRC the issue was unleaded solder and inadequate soldering tempuratures... But I will note that it does run a bit hot.
          sigpic

Comment

Question for the experts: What settings should I use for the reflow? Tempurature and the like.

And how do I know when I have it hot enough?

(also editing the title to reflect the new subject)
            sigpic

Comment

Re: HP Dv6800 Southbridge reflow /Optical Drive detection

Safe temperatures for reflowing would be around 220-240 degrees Celsius. I used my multimeter's temperature probe to measure the temps. Note that the temperature must be increased at a slow rate and not all of a sudden. Maintain 220 for about 3-4 minutes.
              http://nishantpinto.blogspot.in/

Comment

Sir ratdude747 Would you Try to Update The Bios Software?
                Last edited by lorins_core; 01-12-2013, 02:24 AM. Reason: Software or Hardware

Comment

for me I'll not Risk at Hardware First Re flowing the " Parts". I Decided To do the Software First to Determine Software or Hardware been Failure...

Comment

It's not SW... as a live linux usb test showed that there was no IDE controller detected.

Besides... from what I found inside, the BGA theory looks a lot more likely:

MEOW!!!

To my surprise, despite what HP's specs said, this one doesn't have dedicated graphics:

Given how Nvidia GPU's were at the time, this might actually be a good thing.

(edit- HP's specs were correct, Apparently Geforce also is used for the graphics half of their integrated chipsets.)

I also noted something about the Heatsink:

That thermal pad is crap... I swapped it with some better pad material:

I also cleaned off the hardened CPU compound (hard as a brick!)

All I need now is some better thermal compound (not the white crap I usually use) and some liquid flux. Any suggestions on either of the two?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ratdude747; 02-06-2013, 03:35 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for those pics, how sad that the chipset needs reflowing too.
                      I was hoping to replace the mobo's in 3x DV9xxx laptops that have nVidia graphics with Intel integrated graphics but now that's looking way less promising

For thermal compound I would recommend Arctic Silver 5 but after reading some recent reviews I'm not so sure anymore
                      http://skinneelabs.com/arctic-silver-ceramique-review/
                      http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...ndup-1_12.html

Btw I guess the DV6xxx and DV9xxx series is very similar too because from your pics that's what my mobos look like...
                      For example my DV9740 laptop has mobo model 459566, yours is 459565
                      Guess the only difference is nVidia graphics vs Intel integrated graphics

Edit: Here is a very valid thread about good flux, sad like always with all the counterfeit shit out there!
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18501
                      Last edited by Per Hansson; 01-12-2013, 04:14 AM.
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Noted on the flux... All I have on hand is a massive syringe of paste flux, which only works for oven reflows.

Edit- from what I'm reading, the paste flux I have is the right stuff... I hear the liquids don't last under the heat.
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 01-12-2013, 08:44 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sure as hell glad I'm not the one trying to deal with this

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            Sure as hell glad I'm not the one trying to deal with this
                            Whatever... Worst comes to worst, I can part it out. But I'd rather fix it...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              Question for the experts: What settings should I use for the reflow? Tempurature and the like.

And how do I know when I have it hot enough?

(also editing the title to reflect the new subject)
                              The temperature is a profile.

The only way to be sure is to have a thermocouple ready and watch/control the temperature very gently.

You know that red epoxy stuff? If you don't do the reflow right, you're gonna end up bubbling it and having it run under the chip, which will then render your reflow a failure; then, the only option left would be a reball.

The most important aspect to a reflow is a proper pre-heat temperature and optional (quality) flux.

Comment

Originally posted by thesloc View Post
                                The temperature is a profile.

The only way to be sure is to have a thermocouple ready and watch/control the temperature very gently.

You know that red epoxy stuff? If you don't do the reflow right, you're gonna end up bubbling it and having it run under the chip, which will then render your reflow a failure; then, the only option left would be a reball.

The most important aspect to a reflow is a proper pre-heat temperature and optional (quality) flux.
                                Umm ok?

Besides the temp settings on the BGA Station, I take it I need an infrared thermometer or the like?
                                sigpic

Comment

Umm ok?

Besides the temp settings on the BGA Station, I take it I need an infrared thermometer or the like?
                                  Yep, although any good BGA station should have one already (a thermocouple thermometer).

Look up how some professionals do it on YouTube, particularly "BGAReflow" which I think is one of the best reflowers out there.

Comment

Originally posted by thesloc View Post
                                    Yep, although any good BGA station should have one already (a thermocouple thermometer).

Look up how some professionals do it on YouTube, particularly "BGAReflow" which I think is one of the best reflowers out there.
                                    Will do.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Looking at the diagram, can anyone tell me what is Soak Time?
                                      http://nishantpinto.blogspot.in/

Comment

I don't do copper shims... I usually swap the pads to a better compound (I have some material for that).

No extension card either.

IIRC the issue was unleaded solder and inadequate soldering tempuratures... But I will note that it does run a bit hot.
                                        copper shims help a lot with temps works better, a lot of laptop manufactures use tin foil with thermal compound on both sides, all the copper shim does is make tighter contact with the die and has better heat transfer then the aluminum foil that i see a lot in laptops... it drops the temps down very well and speedfan shows nice lower temps...but hey everybody has opinions...

Comment

Working...
                                        X