Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: replacement battery suggestions

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
    It's probably just an issue of bad semantics, but battery "wear level" in that program is simply 1 - (full charge capacity/design capacity) as a percentage. Whether or not "wear level" is a good name for that measure, I don't know. But that's how it comes up with the number.
    If that were true:
    1: The reading would be consistent with the wWh reading and it clearly isn't in the example screen shot.
    2: It would be redundant with the mWh reading.
    I'm sticking to "wear level" is just a counter and RD's batt-pack doesn't have that counter so it's showing gibberish.

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
    I'd be more curious to know how the chip in the battery determines the current full charge capacity...
    I dunno that one.
    I think it measures the slope/curve of how fast the battery charges and estimates how many trons went in at the point where the curve will level off.
    OTOH it might just be another BS counter.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

According to the screen shot:

Design capacity: 42000 mWh - battery is designed to hold this much.
      Full Charge Capacity: 41950 mWh - When fully charged, the battery now holds this much.
      Current Capacity: 26670 mWh - The amount in the battery currently. Just means the battery isn't fully charged at the moment.

My proposed formula:

Wear level = 1 - (full charge capacity/design capacity)
      1 - (41950/42000) = 0.00119047... which rounds to 0%

Take my laptop for instance - 2 year old battery:

Design capacity: 86580 mWh
      Full charge capacity: 69564 mWh
      "Wear level": 19%

1 - (69564/86580) = 0.1965... rounds to 19%

So, apparently it doesn't use the most sophisticated rounding algorithm, but it illustrates the result fits the formula.
      Last edited by yyonline; 12-28-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        "Wear" implies "use" by definition.
        It's a measure of how much it's been -used-, not how much capacity is available.
        On a rechargeable battery, degree of use = number of cycles.
        Sorry if I was unclear earlier. I meant that the "wear level" was about 40-50% even though the battery had only been through a few charge cycles. I think it just presents the same info in a different format, and "wear level" is a bit redundant.

Similarly..."charge level" is also redundant as it's just (current capacity / full charge capacity)

Not that I'm complaining about the utility...it's still very useful for all monitoring all sorts of things.

Comment

I am reviving the thread.

Since the start, the battery i bought now has 10% wear. but that doesn't matter as much:

I now use a dell latitude d630. mine is oddball because it only has a 6 cell battery (not the 9-cell that sticks out). it has 30% wear.

Any new suggestions on where to get a 9 cell battery? unlike the d400, you cannot swap batteries during sleep mode and I want to get a main one with a little more life... for long trips, etc.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I got a battery for my d630!

I found a rayovac one at batteries plus

it is a 9-cell unit

I paid $99.99 for it.

Accordign to the info repored by my linux power manager, it uses sony cells.

good deal?
            sigpic

Comment

revival. the rayovac failed miserably, and the replacement did too...

I have some xmas $ that i would like to spend on a decent battery for it... any new suggestions?
              sigpic

Comment

Are you serious!? How much more money are you going to sink into that thing!?
                Last edited by ratdude747; 12-28-2011, 03:15 AM. Reason: mis-clicked, restored to original post.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

With your luck at picking batteries I suggest a portable generator and an extension cord instead.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                    Are you serious!? How much more money are you going to sink into that thing!?
                    just enough for a decent battery. perhaps new cooler pads for the next time I do a cooling system clean.

actually it has ran well... I came across a new wifi card (intel 4965 draft N) for $7 last month and I took it and installed it...

all other systems keep up well. for my use, ti is a great fit.

the 1st try for the battery wasn't so good...exchanged it for a replacement, it also failed. luckily I was able to get a full refund (and my $99 back); it had a 2 year warranty.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                      With your luck at picking batteries I suggest a portable generator and an extension cord instead.
                      the d400 was a success... considering the two batteries were from the same store and vendor, it doesn't mean much other than don't use that vendor again.
                      sigpic

Comment

been looking...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GENUINE-...#ht_736wt_1141

how does that look?
                        sigpic

Comment

Ask him for a manufacture date.
                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

noted.
                            sigpic

Comment

I am NOT please with Rayovac or Batteries plus.
                              Batplus is too expensive and Rayovac are only good for very low current application like TV remote just cuz they're cheap. One experience; I bought Rayovac cell phone batteries from Batplus. Within 8 months I when back to my original 3 year old Samsung Made in Japan Li-ion battery. It is old but it holds charge longer than that new Rayovac. Even 3 years after that. So the original battery is 6 years old and I'm still using it!
                              Your-milage-may-vary.
                              Last edited by golemmaster; 12-31-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

ordered this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OC:US:1123
                                sigpic

Comment

Yea, he doesn't mention anythng about warranty or how new his stock is.

Comment

it has a 7 day warranty. look again.

he probably doesn't know the age... w/o putting it in a laptop, there is no way to tell. mid-to late 2007 at the oldest (the 9 cell was first introduced with the d630; no d620 ever had them stock)

that said, I have bought older NOS batts (early 2005 build) and had no issues (bought one for my d400 last year, 0% wear, full capacity).

there is this class I have this semester where 1.5hr of batt is barely enough (the class is 1.5hr, plus startup time) and there are no outlets I can readily access during the lecture part (only outlets are at the lab benches). If it were not for this I would have looked around some more... but when you need it, you need it.
                                    sigpic

Comment

The 7 days is not a warranty, it's a grace period.

Ok, if you say you've been happy with 4+ year old new old stock batteries, then maybe this battery is ok. If I was going to spend that amount on a battery, I'd rebuild it myself. There are certain ones which can easily be reset, and some not. It's easy to find relatively new stock Jap cells.

Comment

from what i read rebuilding this battery isn't easy...

also, I am upgrading form 6 to 9 cells, so if i were to rebuild I would need to get a 9 cell body as well. Yeah, I could have rebuilt the 6 cell, but the run times didn't sound too good (2.5-3hr vs 4-4.5 hr). as much as I use the laptop, I figure if I am going to go to the expense of a new battery, I might as well get the good one.

Either way, it beats paying dell $165 for an identical unit... likely the same age and condition.
                                        sigpic

Comment

I think if it were me I would have given something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-CELL-BATTE...438#vi-content a try first. $75 vrs $29 and the $29 has a 3 year warranty.

Comment

Working...
                                          X