Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro 20266 Stuck in sleep mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro 20266 Stuck in sleep mode

Since the behaviour changed with a BIOS flash, it still seems the issue is related to BIOS. It can also most likely exclude any issue related to the power sequence.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by KvnTM View Post
      Actually you are correct again. Shame on me. I looked at a datasheet from another cpu vrm/buck converter/pmic or however you wanna call it. It is an open-drain output which obviously can't output any voltage. I'm still stuck in the 3.3v logic level world. Time to move on I guess.

Maybe you can have a guess what's wrong with this thing? Everything seems to be ok. The only thing left for me would be the EC Firmware or a dead CPU.

Something just struck my mind... I had some older laptops before that wouldn't post without the rtc/bios battery.. Can't remember the manufacturer but I believe it was acer. Certainly not Lenovo. OP should take a look at it.

Sorry to the OP for making false hope though.
      You are good people and friends over here in this forum. I appreciate your help.

Regarding RTS/BIOS battery, it is the same if battery is connected or not. The cell battery is in good condition.

I have a question, I flashed your (KvnTM) suggested bios bin file. But Should we clean ME region and try? And how quickly can we do it? I did not do it my self before.
      Last edited by GIFixed; 10-03-2019, 03:41 AM.

Comment

The bios battery should be 3V,and should be removed when programming or soldering the bios,and put back after .Try a virgin lenovo bios,it has clean ME firmware.
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=918233
        Last edited by SMDFlea; 10-03-2019, 03:57 AM.
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
          Since the behaviour changed with a BIOS flash, it still seems the issue is related to BIOS. It can also most likely exclude any issue related to the power sequence.
          Could very well be. It's really confusing since he already tried many BIOS dumps and not much is changing. But the board should be ok IMO. Everything major is pretty much ruled out. It also could be dead ram and would be a pain since it is soldered to the board. But I guess it wouldn't power cycle in that case.

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
          The bios battery should be 3V,and should be removed when programming or soldering the bios,and put back after .Try a virgin lenovo bios,it has clean ME firmware.
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=918233
          I always remove the flash ic. I had mixed results flashing it in circuit.

Originally posted by GIFixed View Post
          You are good people and friends over here in this forum. I appreciate your help.

Regarding RTS/BIOS battery, it is the same if battery is connected or not. The cell battery is in good condition.

I have a question, I flashed your (KvnTM) suggested bios bin file. But Should we clean ME region and try? And how quickly can we do it? I did not do it my self before.
          I always try my best to figure something out but you get on the wrong track real quick on these boards.

A clean ME region would just speed up POST dramatically. It never occurred to me that the board wouldn't start at all. Only takes around 20 Seconds longer before anything happens. But give it a try with the bin SMDFlea mentioned. Your Board should be fine. All power rails are present and within spec. It just resets itself for whatever reason.

Little sidenote: Can you toggle the keyboard backlight? (FN + Space on my Yoga)
          Last edited by KvnTM; 10-03-2019, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Could very well be. It's really confusing since he already tried many BIOS dumps and not much is changing. But the board should be ok IMO. Everything major is pretty much ruled out. It also could be dead ram and would be a pain since it is soldered to the board. But I guess it wouldn't power cycle in that case.

I always remove the flash ic. I had mixed results flashing it in circuit.

I always try my best to figure something out but you get on the wrong track real quick on these boards.

A clean ME region would just speed up POST dramatically. It never occurred to me that the board wouldn't start at all. Only takes around 20 Seconds longer before anything happens. But give it a try with the bin SMDFlea mentioned. Your Board should be fine. All power rails are present and within spec. It just resets itself for whatever reason.

Little sidenote: Can you toggle the keyboard backlight? (FN + Space on my Yoga)

1) I desolder the chip before flash.

2) The virgin flash bin did not power up the board: It power cycles like the original.

3) When using W25Q64_20161231_45833.BIN:

- Does not power cycle totally, but amperage "cycles" from 0.550A for few seconds and then down to 0.300 A for a short time.

- Can toggle keyboard backlight using FN+space.
            - CPU and ram get warm and then fans spins.

But still no screen and no activity on usb flash stick.
            Last edited by GIFixed; 10-03-2019, 06:23 AM.

Comment

What is your serial number
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

What is your serial number
                On bottom case: S/N YB01410862

Comment

1) I desolder the chip before flash.

2) The virgin flash bin did not power up the board: It power cycles like the original.

3) When using W25Q64_20161231_45833.BIN:

- Does not power cycle totally, but amperage "cycles" from 0.550A for few seconds and then down to 0.300 A for a short time.

- Can toggle keyboard backlight using FN+space.
                  - CPU and ram get warm and then fans spins.

But still no screen and no activity on usb flash stick.
                  I cleaned the ME Region for you.
                  It is based of the dump W25Q64_20161231_45833.BIN.
                  File is attached. Give it a try
                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-23-2021, 07:05 AM. Reason: NOT bios requests/dumps thread

Comment

I cleaned the ME Region for you.
                    It is based of the dump W25Q64_20161231_45833.BIN.
                    File is attached. Give it a try
                    I posted a bios based on that one too,and a virgin bios .https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79575 .Only the bios you posted at post #25 makes the laptop boot a bit further,and it doesn`t have a clean ME .Its booting further after reading the ME or some setting in the NVAR.

Comment

Try a mild reflow on the RAM,use plenty of flux.

Comment

I posted a bios based on that one too,and a virgin bios .https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79575 .Only the bios you posted at post #25 makes the laptop boot a bit further,and it doesn`t have a clean ME .Its booting further after reading the ME or some setting in the NVAR.
                        Yes i know it did not have a clean ME. The one in my last post should. I cleaned it with the Intel ME/TXE Injector using Intels Firmware Repository.

But as you mentioned he should reflow the RAM. Maybe that will do.

Comment

Yes i know it did not have a clean ME. The one in my last post should. I cleaned it with the Intel ME/TXE Injector using Intels Firmware Repository.

But as you mentioned he should reflow the RAM. Maybe that will do.
                          Try a mild reflow on the RAM,use plenty of flux.
                          Thank you both of you, KvnTM and SMDFlea.

I will try your suggestions on monday and post results.

Comment

Any updates ?

Comment

Any updates ?
                              Sorry, no updates yet.

My chef should reflow it for me (I am not so trained at reflowing). But he is busy.

I will update when it is done.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Comment

Sorry for late update.

I have reflowed RAM chips - did not help.
                                I have reflowed CPU - did not help.

Now work on this machine is stopped. It will come back to customer urepaired

Thanks for all your support and help.

Comment

Sorry for late update.

Thats sad news. Something probably died on that board which is hard to find. Could even be the CPU itself or most likely the PCH.

Comment

Sorry for late update.

I know this is an old thread but i think it could be useful for the next one which is/willbe searching for an answer.

The author of this thread mentioned that the board was getting hot 🔥 but he never found the orgin of the defect .... but I think it could be the same defect like mine .... So I was searching with my microscope on the board for burned things and so I can put my multimeter perfekte on the contacts without shorting them as I saw next to the battery plug an IC CHIP which is directly from lenovo when i was about to get to the next thing so i can check it i saw a very strange mark on it i wanted to wipe it away but it was to hard so i used a very thin tweezers which was almost thin like a needle......as i was scraping of the dirt i saw it was a hole ..... so my dann ic is burned away an i can't use this laptop....

So what now? As i searched for the IC i found it but also noticed that has to be programmed the i will be able to use the IC ..... which means for a guy like me it ain't possible to reprogramm it without a proper proammer.....

Comment

Originally posted by Tha_untouchable View Post
                                      I know this is an old thread but i think it could be useful for the next one which is/willbe searching for an answer.

The author of this thread mentioned that the board was getting hot 🔥 but he never found the orgin of the defect .... but I think it could be the same defect like mine .... So I was searching with my microscope on the board for burned things and so I can put my multimeter perfekte on the contacts without shorting them as I saw next to the battery plug an IC CHIP which is directly from lenovo when i was about to get to the next thing so i can check it i saw a very strange mark on it i wanted to wipe it away but it was to hard so i used a very thin tweezers which was almost thin like a needle......as i was scraping of the dirt i saw it was a hole ..... so my dann ic is burned away an i can't use this laptop....

So what now? As i searched for the IC i found it but also noticed that has to be programmed the i will be able to use the IC ..... which means for a guy like me it ain't possible to reprogramm it without a proper proammer.....

Here is the picture of that damn thing
                                      Attached Files

Comment

This is the embedded controller and normally the board can't reach that far in the power up-sequence with a defective EC. For this reason I would assume another fault in your case.
                                        FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                        X