Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: fake desoldering wick

Originally posted by stj View Post
    plain rosin wont work with lead-free solder very well.
    I haven't worked with lead-free solder that I know of, unless it was for sweating copper tubing.

The flux I use is a wave-solder flux by Kester, but I don't have the number. I reduce it with 99% IPA and it works very well. It appears to produce very energetic deoxidation action when heated to solder melting temperature, so
    although its expiration date is long past due it still activates well enough for hand soldering. Wave soldering no doubt has more critical requirements due to the nature of the process.

I have an ample supply of 63/37 eutectic solder which may last longer than I do.

I cleaned another roll of braid tonight. The first soaking in acetone leaves the solvent an amber tone that is overshadowed by the green tint. Subsequent washings with 99% IPA leave the solvent with the amber cast, diminishing to clear after 2 IPA washes.

I think the solder-wick branded braid I bought is old and some of the copper was oxidized.

Or it is bogus, old, and some of the copper oxidized. It's OK now after cleaning.
    Why don't you mine your own Bismuth,
    Mine your own Bismuth
    Mine your own Bismuth
    Why don't you mine your own Bismuth,
    So you won't be mining mine?

Comment

best to buy solder wicks with no clean flux and avoid ebay and use local electronics stores Mouser Element14/newark,Farnell or Digikey.

If you are lucky enough to be in Australia, i love the japanese made goot desolder at Jaycar.

Comment

I bought 6 rolls from my local Radio-Shack when it closed down and they were clearance priced for like $0.22 per roll. But they don’t work great. I’m going to try the acetone soak & IPA rinse. How long does it need to be in the acetone? Also, I’m assuming that I submerge it completely in acetone?

Comment

What you need is flux, not wash it... There's only so much you can do by just washing it.

Comment

Well, washing it would be a good idea, if the flux that's already on it was bad or has degraded from age. Then you should apply fresh flux.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
            X