Testing Oil Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing Oil Capacitors

Yesterday, I received a TMK Condenser Checker Model LC-15 (similar to a Heathkit C3 - manual is on http://bama.sbc.edu), and it is working fine.
    I cannot find anything about testing oil filled capacitors, but when the Power Factor switch is in the Paper/Mica position, it senses electrical leakage (even though it was tested with a good polyester unit). When the Power Factor switch was in the Electrolytic position, it did not register any leakage with an oil capacitor.
    Should oil filled capacitors be tested like electrolytic capacitors for leakage and power factor? I believe so.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Testing Oil Capacitors

I think oil capacitors should have way lower leakage than any electrolytic capacitors.
    Oil capacitors are simply capacitors with a oiled paper as isolator.
    AFAIK they should perform like a foil capacitor with nearly no leakage.

Comment

Re: Testing Oil Capacitors

To find out, I think I should buy a brand new oil capacitor on eBay to confirm this...
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
      X