Just recapped me first board!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just recapped me first board!

Well thanks to all the info here,I believe I just breathed some life back into an MS-6570.

My test board is still just that currently as I never could clear one of the holes, but that also happened on the MSI board.

Just a tip to anyone who might need it, I culd not find anything lying around that was stainless to push thru the holes, ended up making me a tool.
    I used a old spinner bait---lol--- clipped the ends off of it and it worked just fine as I assumed it would, for it was old and well used and not a bit of tarnish on the finish--must be stainless I thought... it is..

Just a quick question though, will running memtest overnight be a sufficient enough tst on it, or are there certain programs I need to run to test it prior to installing in its new home?

Thanks

Re: Just recapped me first board!

Best test, throw an OS on it and use it. If it's stable, you got it. I have some diagnostics utils that are very particular, but I've seen failed caps boards run memtest for days without any errors.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I am used to use the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) for sutch tests.
      First i use Prime95, wich should runn at least for a few hours.
      Then windos memory diagnostic and memetest are good tools too.
      ATM i think WMD is a little better then memtest.

Comment

I'd also make note of the voltages, while using a PSU which you know should be able to power the board. Make sure nothing is sagging too much for comfort.

But definitely try beating on the board inside a full OS. Memtest doesn't seem to put as much electrical load on the board since it isn't stressing as many components. A marginal board can pass memtest but choke under heavier loads.

Comment

wanna beat it up good?
          download folding at home and enter team 49813
          and a quick preliminary test is to boot a knoppix live cd.
          if it gets to the desktop without errors its likely ok.

Comment

ok Thanks guys, will use other tests this evening, as it ran all night with no errors with memtest.

Comment

oh well, seems to not take a liking to something, as it will load the ubuntu live , but never complete the booting of the graphics display, guess either I fubar'd the recapping (possilble for sure) or the board had other illness on top of the 1 bad cap.

this board was from where I work, it had been having issues with the floppy drive for some time, cant remember if she pooped before we replaced the system or not, i just know i had to order a new one to replace it.....

any ideas on what else that cap may have took out? it is in the line of caps beside the cpu and the backplate. Guess I can save her for a rainy day project, unless u guys know where i can get a replacement socket a 400 fsb mb, and not a pcchips one..
              thanks guys

Comment

For testing I use something that uses as many devices as possible.

One of these new free to play online games uses alot of devices if you can run one : puts full load on all system components at the same time: CPU, Graphics, Network, Sound, Hard Disk. If I can leave such a game running for a few days without a glitch I consider the system acceptable and more reliably reliable than from passing a simulated test.

I also use Speedfan to show voltages over time. And MBProbe after calibrating set a 5% or less tolerance in voltage settings with log enabled (under constant - as opposed to rapid variable load - I achieved constant <2% tolerance with overnight testing using Rubycon ZL and CPUVoltage undervolted to achieve lower CPU temperature). Whilst these programs read from board sensors, I take their ripple/fluctuation/deviation readings as accurate enough to be useful data. When viewing PC Health in BIOS voltages should hardly change, (especially considering all devices are at a constant workload as compared to in Windows), (I use arrow keys to force faster refreshing) ofc they should read what they're meant to also.
                Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                  I've seen failed caps boards run memtest for days without any errors.
                  Every single one of my KG7 boards fail Memtest with the classic Athlon test failure. I've run the test on more than a dozen, and none will pass. All have been in service error free for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                  X