noob getting started and wondering what flux types there are or what to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob getting started and wondering what flux types there are or what to buy

what flux do you recommend to be used on motherboards or graphics cards?

also,

what briad is best to be used here? width wise that is.

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...uct/1530-0028/
    Last edited by daRk_Kon; 04-09-2007, 06:53 AM.

Re: noob getting started and wondering what flux types there are or what to buy

i dont use either
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

do you use dental picks or something willawake?

also which solder wire is best?

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...at_id=119&pg=2

sorry i cant reedit my post to put this in.

if im missing something, please tell me because i am in need of some direction on what to buy and what is good quality and bad out there. thanks
      Last edited by daRk_Kon; 04-09-2007, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Might not be too much help but also don't think we've had many discussions 'bout this...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2497
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

that helps a little, we almost need like a guide specifying whats good to use for what lol.

Comment

check out what i found, i figure it might be helpful for anyone wondering the different types of solder.

60/40 Solder: Composed of 60% tin and 40% lead, this solder melts at 374oF, but doesn't become completely solid until it cools to 361oF. This means it has a "pasty range" or "working range" of 13 degrees. This solder is your best choice for copper foil work. The liquid temperature and narrow "pasty range" make it easy to form and maintain consistent high, rounded, beaded seams. Because of its relatively low melting point, "60/40" solder is easy to rework to maintain a smooth finish solder bead.

50/50 Solder: This is composed of 50% tin and 50% lead. It is liquid at 421oF, solid at 361oF and has a pasty range of 60 degrees. This solder will produce a much "flatter" bead than 60/40. Because of its higher melting point, 50/50 solder is often used on the back (or inside) of a stained glass project to protect against "melt through" when soldering the front. Because it spreads and flattens out, 50/50 solder is often used when soldering lead came joints.

63/37 Solder: This solder is 63% tin and 37% lead. It becomes liquid at 361oF, and solid at 361oF, with a pasty or working range of 0 degrees. This solder is called a eutectic alloy which means at 361oF, you can go instantly from solid to liquid to solid just by applying or removing the heat source. You will often find "63/37" solder referred to as decorative or quick set solder. It is primarily used to create dimensional effects in the solder itself and can be "pulled" and manipulated to produce a variety of textures and designs. 63/37 solder also makes an excellent solder to bead up the outside rim of copper foiled pieces.

Lead-Free Solder: Depending on the specific mix of metals, lead free will produce differing liquid, solid, and pasty range temperatures. Check with the solder manufacturers for these specifics. Lead-free solders will perform similar to a 50/50 mix. Lead-free solders require more practice in order to obtain a smooth bead on copper foiled pieces and should not be used on lead came projects. Lead-free solder is the most expensive solder, but is the solder of choice when constructing pieces that will contact food, that will be handled frequently, or that will be used in a child's play area or room.

Comment

also, how is clear flux solder for soldering mobos? like why is it clear flux

Comment

no clean flux?
                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

it said clear flux on radio shack... let me find a link.

here: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

also

that looks good for the person who knows what diameter hole he will be filling for the best alloy and such to use.

says i need to use powder type II
                  Last edited by daRk_Kon; 04-09-2007, 12:55 PM.

Comment

who uses flux cleaner on the old joint before desoldering?

and is this good solder to use on a motherboard for cap remplacement?

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...uct/4800-0004/

one more thing, what width braid do you use? .5 or 1.0 or .75?
                    Last edited by daRk_Kon; 04-09-2007, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X