Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq CQ71 PQ 48 help needed, please.

Hello
    I do not do many motherboards and I was asked if I can something to repair it.

So, I said yes (kind of forced!).

I started checking PW from plug ... then found there was no 3v3 on PW switch.

Then I checked various mos-fets as I did not have schematic - which then found here - thanks.

Not finding anything work - LED on Vin is not pulled down, I then finishes taking motherboard off the laptop and checked other side and found PQ48 practically shorted and getting slightly warmer.

I also checked it visually and saw track under PQ48 partially burned, so I am guessing this Laptop might have had the PQ48 not properly soldered and you can see it in my image prior removal and then after.

I was forced to pull the rest of the track off, because it was not de-soldering from the back.

See second image, then 'older' burns around PQ48.

I first de-soldered the 2 pins and noticed it was moving a it - i.e. the bottom track was partially detached.

Now. how do I connect the 3 pins near the battery connector (in particular) with the PQ48 back and the 1uF cap?

I do not understand if those 3 pins - one of which you can now see under the burned PCB its track (first at bottom of image.

Are they all connected with the base of Mosfet and + of Cap?

Not sure.

Also, I am not sure if the mosfet needs that track part as a dissipater - but since it is on + Voltage I do not know where to put a tiny heat-sink - if needed and wire it possibly!

Thanks in advance - just trying to salvage it for him, will not use battery as well, as I believe it might have caused the problem - no checked it yet - do not care much.

I'd like very much to get rid of it.

Sorry if I am not much of a contributor - do not have anything interesting, just trying to get to pension age!
    Mauro

PS I ordered the IRFR3709Z - instead of the one it had on P0903BDG, as I believe it is a better choice - I hope I am not wrong.
    Last edited by badcapped; 12-06-2021, 07:52 AM. Reason: Addition

Re: Compaq CQ71 PQ 48 help needed, please.

Forgot images.
    My brain has gone!
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X