Asus M2N-X recap job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus M2N-X recap job

Thank you for you advise, i have been racking my brain trying to find the right soc with ripple current 1870 like the KGE

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      Panasonic FM, FR, or FS will be OK for KZG, though not ideal, particularly for caps around the CPU... but for those, you can use polymers.

That said, here are some possible options for KZG that are not exactly equivalent, but good enough for other areas on the motherboard:
      Rubycon ZLH, ZLK, ZL, ZLJ, ZLQ
      Panasonic FM, FR, FS
      Nichicon HV, HW
      United Chemicon KZH, KZM, KZN

Since I have a few variants of the M2N variety (namely M2N68-LA and similar boards for OEM PCs), I'd venture and say that even much "lesser" caps will work is certain areas of the board. For example, any caps close to USB headers are typically for filtering 5V going to the USB ports (ASUS typically uses TK ATWY or KZG 6.3V 820 uF here.) Same with most caps between the PCI and PCI-E slots. These spots don't need low ESR caps, so even GP 105C caps will work. Even many of the 820 uF caps close to the back I/O ports or the SB itself are filtering either PSU rails directly or after a linear regulator... so low ESR/impedance is not too important.

You can go as "bad" (in terms of low ESR/impedance specs) as Panasonic FC, Nichicon HE or HD, Panasonic FC or FK, and UCC KY or KYB or KZE.

What polymers would i use same spec or is there a chart somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Leeroy89 View Post
        What polymers would i use same spec or is there a chart somewhere
        For the electrolytic caps around the CPU that are 6.3V, you can go with either 2.5V or 4V rated caps and 820 uF to 1500 uF capacity if the caps were rated for 1500-1800 uF originally. If they were rated for 2200 uF or higher, go with 1200-2200 uF polymers (though in reality, even 820 uF will likely still work OK.) In short, use whatever you find fits there (it helps if the caps have the same diameter as the originals, so they are easier to solder.) For 16V caps around the CPU, use 16V -rated polymers with capacitance of 270 uF, 330 uF, or 470 uF (but preferably 470 uF) if the original caps were rated 1000-1500 uF... again, whichever combo you find to fit in terms of diameter.

For other 6.3V caps around the board, it might be best to stick to 6.3V polymers (if you decide to go with polymers, that is), just in case one of them is on a 5V rail. Keep capacitance the same.
        Otherwise, if you know how to find which cap is connected to which rail (fairly easy to do with a multimeter) you can go with 4V caps too.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          For the electrolytic caps around the CPU that are 6.3V, you can go with either 2.5V or 4V rated caps and 820 uF to 1500 uF capacity if the caps were rated for 1500-1800 uF originally. If they were rated for 2200 uF or higher, go with 1200-2200 uF polymers (though in reality, even 820 uF will likely still work OK.) In short, use whatever you find fits there (it helps if the caps have the same diameter as the originals, so they are easier to solder.) For 16V caps around the CPU, use 16V -rated polymers with capacitance of 270 uF, 330 uF, or 470 uF (but preferably 470 uF) if the original caps were rated 1000-1500 uF... again, whichever combo you find to fit in terms of diameter.

For other 6.3V caps around the board, it might be best to stick to 6.3V polymers (if you decide to go with polymers, that is), just in case one of them is on a 5V rail. Keep capacitance the same.
          Otherwise, if you know how to find which cap is connected to which rail (fairly easy to do with a multimeter) you can go with 4V caps too.
          Thank you for all your help, the board is now backup and running

Comment

Working...
          X