Sandisk Cruzer Titanium USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandisk Cruzer Titanium USB

I have a Sandisk Cruzer Titanium USB that will not power on and I'm tying to figure out what's going on. I'm following the 5V rail from the socket and I think I have a really weird resistance read.

The first picture of the controller I'm assuming from looking online that the pin I've marked on the chip is the VCC which I currently have 2.5v going into.

The second picture is the resistor I'm having my strange reading. It seems to fluctuate between 3k ohms all the way to 53k ohms? I thought it was my probes or shaky useless hands but I can read other values on other points with a solid steady reading. So my question is, would anyone be able to guide me on what resistance that one should actually be and if this is most likely my problem or give me a direction to go next in understanding what's going on?

Data is not super important on this drive, but would be nice to be able to get it back.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tccyo22; 05-13-2023, 05:20 AM.

Re: Sandisk Cruzer Titanium USB

whats on the other side?
    usb sticks usually have a 3.3v or 2.5v regulator on them.
    also try resoldering the plug and bypassing the polyfuse.

Comment

When is stick disconnected (no power), have you any low resistance eg 0-1-2-5 ohm reading between legs of any capacitor?
      When plugged in, 2.5v on chip might be ok, maybe not... but on usb port you must have steady 5v reading. Is some component noticeable heating when pluged in?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        whats on the other side?
        usb sticks usually have a 3.3v or 2.5v regulator on them.
        also try resoldering the plug and bypassing the polyfuse.
        The other side is the LED, NAND flash and 1 cap. The LED does light up when I probe it so I know that the LED is fine.

Originally posted by harp View Post
        When is stick disconnected (no power), have you any low resistance eg 0-1-2-5 ohm reading between legs of any capacitor?
        When plugged in, 2.5v on chip might be ok, maybe not... but on usb port you must have steady 5v reading. Is some component noticeable heating when pluged in?
        All caps read in k/M ohms, there's absolutely no signs of heating at all when it's plugged in. The 5v is stable from the connector all the way up to that resistor with the funny readings, but at the same time that 2.5v is fairly stable too so I really don't know what to make of this
        Last edited by tccyo22; 05-15-2023, 02:38 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Check the soldering of contacts D +, D- on the connector itself and their resistance relative to GND, also check the generation on quartz.

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
            Check the soldering of contacts D +, D- on the connector itself and their resistance relative to GND, also check the generation on quartz.
            D+ is 3.89M
            D- is 3.25M
            I believe the clock is at 50Hz.

I've also just quickly moved up the resistor so it's soldered on 1 end only, now it reads 215ohms. I move it back, it retains this resistance until plugged in then it's back to random values in the k ohms again.

Comment

Originally posted by tccyo22 View Post
              it retains this resistance until plugged in then it's back to random values in the k ohms again.
              You are not measure resistance while plugged in, dont you?
              So to be clear, resistance is measured only when the device is unpluged from any supply, including a button cell also, otherwise, when plugged in, you measure voltage, current, frequency...

That 215R resistor is suspecious, if it is on power rail, common value is about 10R... or even 0R... if pcb is addapted for some ommited chip...
              Please, take a note for all voltage on capacitors, and post here, or on picture where is red dot. On most of them you expect some common voltage, like 1.8v 2.5v, 3.3v or 5v...
              If is voltage strange, check both side of capacitor regardless to ground.
              Check next to fuse to ground (red arrow) is something or not?

Is it fuse ok, 0R, passing voltage... just post to all know...
              Highly recommentend is to resolder all pins of connector due to nature periodicaly using force and vibration that come to solder crack.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by harp; 05-15-2023, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harp View Post
                You are not measure resistance while plugged in, dont you?
                So to be clear, resistance is measured only when the device is unpluged from any supply, including a button cell also, otherwise, when plugged in, you measure voltage, current, frequency...

That 215R resistor is suspecious, if it is on power rail, common value is about 10R... or even 0R... if pcb is addapted for some ommited chip...
                Please, take a note for all voltage on capacitors, and post here, or on picture where is red dot. On most of them you expect some common voltage, like 1.8v 2.5v, 3.3v or 5v...
                If is voltage strange, check both side of capacitor regardless to ground.
                Check next to fuse to ground (red arrow) is something or not?

Is it fuse ok, 0R, passing voltage... just post to all know...
                Highly recommentend is to resolder all pins of connector due to nature periodicaly using force and vibration that come to solder crack.
                Sorry it took a while, but here is the measurements I got so far.

Voltages taken with drive plugged in, everything else completely unplugged.

Voltages in red circle. The ones I got 0v the other side was definitely ground
                Diode readings in red boxes.
                Resistances in white boxes.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tccyo22; 05-20-2023, 06:54 AM. Reason: forgot to actually hit the upload button for the image

Comment

So at this point I only think loudly
                  I be glad to hear others too.

0V on all caps mean that chip not working, due to damaged IC or missing power.
                  ?? input resistor is very suspicious, but may indicate to have semi shorted compunent, likely that sandisc conntroller or memory.
                  Note a big voltage drop (5v to 2.68v) on ??resistor and voltage drop about 0.1v accross rail to the sandisc chip.
                  Can you measure current on usb what device draw, and check a continuity (diode reading) on 0.635v rail - between side of 2.68v ??resistor and 2.58v caps near chip.

I cant find any datasheet of sandisc chip, it would be easyer to see what voltage must be on that 2.58v pin... maybe you can find continuity to some pin of memory chip and find a datasheet of memory to see voltages...

For future, how to stick die (momentaly or have before unreliable working), what multimeter model you have, and have you power supply with current limiter, other relevant equipment, maybe some others will have some idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X