Problems writing MX25L25673G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems writing MX25L25673G

Hi to all, I'm facing a problem writing to an MX25L25673G SOIC-16 bios chip (part of an HP EliteOne 1000 G2 27") with a Willem programmer 5.0B (with software PCB98D12c4).
    I know my programmer is old and I've planned to buy a new one but it worked until now with every eeprom I've faced in different devices, this is the first time that is giving me this kind of problem and I need to urgently solve it because I've already changed the fried southbridge and cleaned its ME fw, so I need to finish the last step of the repair.
    This Willem supports some 256Mbit eeprom, I can choose between MXIC, Winbond and cfEON, it also recognizes the IC by the "Auto select chip" button as MX25L25635E/MX25L25735E, I have read it correctly many times but writing to it give always the same error, when verifying data written, always at the same address 0x344003, with the same wrong bytes.
    I've read the written bin after the error and comparing the file extracted to the one I'd like to write, they are the same only in the first 0x344002, after which there are chunks of other data similar to the one I'd like to write but the comparison fails.
    After some correct readings, I've also erased the entire IC and lanched a "blank test" and it verifyed that the IC was full of FF, so erasing process completes correctly.
    Since I don't have an adapter for this SOIC-16 IC, I've "build" one with flying wires (shorter than 4cm), I don't know if this can be the cause of the wrong writing, but if it was shouldn't it be a problem also in reading?
    I've tried taking away the jumper for 3v3/3v6 voltage option, in order to feed the IC with 3v6, but it changed nothing.
    Have someone faced this problem before?
    Can someone suggest using a different software?
    Can someone suggest some settings in the software or the hardware (there are many dip switches and jumpers on its board) of the Willem programmer, please?
    Thank you in advance

Re: Problems writing MX25L25673G

Can anyone share an advice for this problem?
    I've bought an adapter for soldered SOIC16 to SOIC8-DIP, I've compared the wirings that I've used before and they were the same, but also with the new adapter I can read and cancel this eeprom but I can't write correctly to it, the verification stops always at the same hex point 0x344003.
    I've tried with a CPH341A owned by one of my friend's and all goes well, I don't understand why the Willem recognizes the eeprom but fails at the verification step.
    It seems it could be some wrong software settings, something like an expired timing or the likes.
    Has anyone tried to write to this eeprom with the Willem before or can suggest something, please?

Comment

It's probably a software issue (old compiler used, something like a year 2000 problem), or a wrong definition of the eeprom size (too small size), maybe you can find some configuration file for the different chips in the software, and edit this to be correct. Or maybe wrong operating voltage applied (3,3V instead of 1.8V, or vice-versa - check the chip datasheet) ???

I would'nt waste my time and would buy CH-341 programmer with respective adapters, it costs really peanuts on Aliexpress and solves the problem. There is many software for them, and you can define/edit the chip definition files, create new ones. They work really very raliably, had only once an issue with an unrecognized chip type, but editing/adding a new definition solved the problem. But pay attention, as old versions of the programmer may require a voltage mod, you'll find it on the net how to do this. I think I have described this also somewhere on this forum.
      Last edited by DynaxSC; 04-19-2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Hi DynaxSC, thank you for your answer and advices.
        I didn't know that the CH341 was so cheap, I finally bought one and I managed to write properly the MX25L25635E (I have not yet concluded the repair of the HP EliteOne after the southbridge replacement and ME cleaning, maybe there's something else broken, but that's another question ).
        As it was an old version, I did the voltage mod so that data lines are feeded correctly with 3v3 instead of 5v, but it was really easy.
        Funny to note that two days ago I had to correct a bios of a Lenovo notebook that didn't start, the IC was a Gigadevice GD25Q64BSIG, the CH341 read it correctly but erasing or writing it made the programmer to be shut down as it was extracted from the usb port (you could heard the usb disconnection sound) and every software I used (Colibri, NeoProgrammer etc) gave an error about the disconnection of the programmer, one time it crashed the driver (included in Colibri folder, working with other 4 types of ICs I tried these days) and also Windows 10 to a BSOD.
        I then used my old Willem programmer and had no problem in reading or erasing or writing to that IC.
        Have you ever had such a problem?

Comment

i have this problem with MX ic too. CH341 is VERY basic programmer. buy RT809F. vay better programmer with autoswitch to 1.8V

Comment

Ok, I understand, @ktmmotocross thank you for your advice

Comment

Working...
            X