Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: more win10 fuckings

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post

I often have to run legacy DOS programs in a DOS box or VM. It's insane to see how lightning fast they are -- without having been penalized by the bloat that accompanies applications and the OS!
    Not only, but hardware is getting TOO fast for legacy software. I can't for the life of me get my Windows 3.11 VM to boot on my new laptop. The fucking Xeon CPU is too damn fast.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
      Not only, but hardware is getting TOO fast for legacy software. I can't for the life of me get my Windows 3.11 VM to boot on my new laptop. The fucking Xeon CPU is too damn fast.
      Likely a sign of a race, somewhere, in the code. Hard to test for so it has to be avoided at the design stage.

My biggest lament is losing Brief. Too many timing loops that now run so fast you can't type without filling the screen with that ONE character!

Comment

^ Its EMM386 thats fucking off....
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

been decades, but wasnt there a replacement for that?
          something like qemm386?

and then you have freedos - that's full 32bit and handles modern hardware.

Comment

^ Huh. I didn't even think about that. QEMM v9 should work damn fine...

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
              ^ Its EMM386 thats fucking off....
              Turn it off. I think Windows will still load but will be cramped for memory.

Or, use something like 386MAX.

Comment

Extended memory is himem.sys, not EMM386!
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                X