Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECS KN1 - weird problem

This is really weird.
    When I got this board, it had OSTs on the VRM inputs and UCC KZJs on the outputs. I replaced the OSTs with Ruby MBZ.

Installed it with a A64 3400+ (venice) and a X800.

After the first install the board didn't do anything - no POST, no beep codes (but fans were spinning). When I removed the graphics card however, I got the 1x short - 2x long beep code which means missing vga card or vga error.

After a few tries and reconnecting all the cables and connectors I took the MB out of the case and set it up on my desk.
    It POSTed at the first powerup, everything seemed fine. Checked the board and case for things or solder residue that might have caused a short, but found nothing.

I reinstalled the whole (basic) setup in the case, fired it up again and installed XP64, did a BIOS update and started to install all the drivers.
    When I installed the audio drivers (Audigy 2ZS +SB Live), the system suddenly rebooted. I tried a few fore times, it always did a reboot at the same point.

I removed one of the cards and hit the power button again, but - nothing. Basically like after the first install. Took it out of the case again, but nothing happened. It didn't even beep with the VGA removed any more. (but fans still running)

My first suspect was the PSU. I admit it's a crappy one ("420"W eSAC, also known as Advance), but I recapped it some time ago and so far it had run stable with my XP3000+ (which doesn't draw much less than the Venice), and it's running fine right now.
    I checked with the DMM when it was hooked up to the mobo, and PSU and VRM output voltages were normal.
    Unfortunately I don't have a port80 dongle as I've used Epox over the last few years.

This doesn't make much sense to me... It's not too strange that a mobo doesn't work at the first try, but it ran fine for an hour or two; is it just coincidence that it failed at the driver installation?

TiA,
    kikkoman
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Re: ECS KN1 - weird problem

Cant help you much, but i have build a system with the predecessors too (A-4xx939 or similar with the same design). Even if i haven`t any problems with start up, i regretted to have recommended this board.
    I never managed to get this system`s owner free of complaints, as most 3D apps would cause a BSOD.

From my experience, ECS boards do lack in precision. So you have to carefully align it to avoid any shorts.
    With many cases it needs a lot of force to get the ATX pannel, GFX card aliened and fixed.
    May be this is related to your problem.

Comment

ECS mobos have the same problem: They dont POST sometimes due to hardware incompatibility.

I have 2 ECS mobos and one of them dont POST with a GFX card with 128MB RAM.

If possible, try another graphics card or try a BIOS update to fix it.

Comment

Your sudden reboot problem could well be due to a memory error. Have you run Memtest 86. It can be downloaded, installed on CD or floppy so that it can test memory independent of the OS.
        Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
        Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
        160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
        Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
        160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
        Samsung 18x DVD writer
        Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
        33 way card reader
        Windows XP Pro SP3
        Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
        17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
        HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Working...
        X