Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I replace a 1800uf with a 2200uf 6.3v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I replace a 1800uf with a 2200uf 6.3v?

I have a Dell gx280 and My mobo is fried all 9 of the caps between the cpu and the printer port are either leaking a yellowish powder or look like a frozen beer can. There are nichicon 1800uf 6.3v 8mm X 20mm 105 degrees and i have looked on digikey and I could not find anything near that diameter. So I found some on ebay and to no avail they are 13mm and will not fit without overcrouding each other. I guess I could rig them in there but i want to do this the correct way. So I have looked some more to no avail but a local electonis store has some 2200uf 6.3v 10mm X 20mm but are 85 degrees. Will these work or should I keep searching? the closest digikey had was a panasonic that was a 1800uf @ 6.3v but was 12mm this will not work. too big. what to do next???

Re: Can I replace a 1800uf with a 2200uf 6.3v?

check with the owner of badcaps.net to get caps. His screen name is Topcat on these forums. He should be able to get you what you need!
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

What you need are Low or ultra low esr caps. Those caps are availiable from different sources. Add the location to your profile and we will tell you.

Comment

mouser has them, but only in bulk quantities! they have 2200uf 6.3v radial caps in 10mm, but not 8mm.
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

So I have looked some more to no avail but a local electonis store has some 2200uf 6.3v 10mm X 20mm but are 85 degrees. Will these work or should I keep searching?
          The 85C caps are probably GP caps, and you need low impedance types, which will be rated for 105C.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

It is safe to sub 2200uF 16v caps in place of those 1800uF caps, I do it all the time with the ones behind the heatsink. They must be low ESR, and 16v though. There's 12v on their positions, so it wouldn't be wise to decrease the voltage... lol The 8mm 1800uF 6.3 volters, I'd sub those with 1500uF caps, as those are easy to obtain in 8mm cans. Stuffing 10mm cans in those spots would be nearly impossible.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

thanks for the info....I will look around...oh yeah by the way..the originals are 6.3v....can I still use the 16v??....I would think not but you guys are the pros.

Comment

If the originals are 6.3 volt then yes you can use 10v or 16v, but they will have larger dimensions and there is really not much meaning with it

But on the other hand it does not do anything bad to go up in voltage... Never go down in voltage though...
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                X