ECS K7S5A - picture story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECS K7S5A - picture story

sorry for posting again.. but this is driving me nuts..

i can only find crapcaps on eGay/ePay

SAMWHA (??)

Frolyt (GDR made caps.. NOS.. vintage!? wtf?)

Jamicon crap

Punsumi (wtf?)

OST -.-

LTec (the logo looks like Lelon somehow.. o.O)

ROE (Roederstein)

not related to mainboard caps, but WTF?
    Last edited by Scenic; 03-16-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
      sorry for posting again.. but this is driving me nuts..

i can only find crapcaps on eGay/ePay

SAMWHA (??)
      I saw some SAMWHA caps inside my Samsung DVD recorder (for tvs): I think it's a Samsung partner, perhaps a daugther company, because they proudly show a Samsung certificate on their site. No idea about their effective quality: the recorder works still today, it's only picky about medium quality.

not related to mainboard caps, but WTF?
      Big capacity caps used inside hi-fi amplifiers. Wait a bit, those 30+ mF are for megawatts amps: did you put your hands on some disco equipment?

Zandrax
      Have an happy life.

Comment

sorry for posting in this old thread.. but i'm reviving this board (K7S5A V3.1) right now
        the board still did POST, but won't power up at the first try, gave me BSODs and so on...
        same thing as usual... almost all 6.3V 2200uF G-Luxcraps bulging

i already replaced all of them with OSTs (price matter.. it's going to be used with an old Athlon 1GHz.. and i had some here.. (OSTs.. not athlons.. well.. actually i have 5 of them.. umm... off topic.. ))

looks like pro, doesn't it?

well.. until you see the solderpoints (no photo for now.. 4:20 AM )

as soon as i get the other needed caps i'll finish this job..

any suggestions where to get good caps? i'm running out of them and the next electronics store here only has OSTs not a good choice (at least for my 3 other (more "high-end") boards waiting for a recap..)

looked on eGay/ePay ... some NCCs (Nippon ChemiCon) or Panasonics from Thailand (o.O) or G-Luxcraps, Lelons, Fulltecs (Fullcrap ), ROE (Roederstein (never heard of that before)) or other crapcaps (?) with shipping from germany
        as well as some fully noname caps.. -.-

um.. one thing i noticed while desoldering the other caps today...

there are lots of 6.3V caps and a few 10V caps .. (10V for example directly next to the ATX PSU connector)

no 12V rail (-> meaning 16V) caps on this board..!? o.O
        Last edited by Scenic; 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM.

Comment

You know I was looking for info on a TL 494 pwm controller and found this post
          KA7500B is from what I understand the same type of controller...
          interesting were its being used

Note whats happening with this mod
          (BTW that doesn't mean go and do it or even that it works or works well...not idea)

http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/...k7s5amodp2.htm

So if I understand this correctly ...this chip is being used as VRM controller
          On that MB?

Interesting

anyway

Bummer about finding decent caps I know stevo I think got some Sanyo WG from there and davmax posted a link on someone selling

Maybe contact Bigpope get Samxon (maybe this was suggested before)

Cheers
          Last edited by starfury1; 03-18-2008, 06:32 AM.
          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

as i have 2 K7S5As i may test that modification on the second board.

i'm recapping the one thats in better condition.. (picture in my prev. posts quote)

the other one has some BIOS problems (always losing all settings with fresh new battery) and the original G-Luxons still on there (not bulging but i bet theyre already half-dead (doesn't always POST.. needs 2 or 3 tries sometimes))

hmm.. maybe i'll test that with my old 700MHz Duron on that second board

BTW: what about Rubycon MBZ (1500uF 16V) and Nippon ChemiCon KZG (1800uF 6.3V) series?

are they good for recapping most kinds of mainboards?
            i'm asking because i could buy them in (for me) large quantities (170pcs NCC and 120pcs rubys)

edit: i thought Samxons are crapcaps..!?

Comment

Rubycon (as in the real deal) MBZ are what you would used for VRM output
              not so sure in this case cause they are 16V...normally 6V3 is the voltage of choice
              (sometimes you will find crap caps use 10V..lower ESR for the higher voltage so the story goes)
              Size may well be the issue for 16V but normally you stay near the voltage

Probably work ok thought but there characteristics do change
              (chase up some of PCbozes post for more info on what actually happens)

if they are going to sit across 12V then yes really the lowest voltage you can use...but VRM output voltage is less...for wet electro 6V3 quality cap is normally it

looking at were your from you should be able to source Panasonic FM's.. fine for VRM
              may not be the greatest cap on earth but a lot use them with good results (including me)

not sure with Nippon ChemiCon KZG I think they can suffer heat issues but normally considered a quality cap (not sure if that series is suited for VRM output)
              just don't recall full story for them, others will thought

Samxon, the "right series" seem to be stacking up fine for a cheaper cap for VRM use...TC has then testing in a long term failure testing.
              (there is a thread on that around here)
              "Big pope" forum member can provide if you got paypal
              (state side USA contact TopCat forum owner)

So provided you get the right series Id say get them..lot better then Ebays offerings you have found anyway.

I didn't fully read the Mod details so no idea really, what was of interest was that the chip, normally found in PSU's and chips for VRM's are that, chips for VRM use
              so it dont seem to have a VID (or is that PID)
              setup for the CPU to tell it whats required...think thats the story

Anyway up to you ...looks like a bit of work thought.

if you want a cheaper price cap I'd defiantly look at Samxon

but those caps you mentioned if the real deal ...why not, it just those 4 points "voltage/size ruby's" and "heat/(use vrm output) for KZG " I am not 100% sure of

they could take the shine off it

wait for others to post thought

HTH cheers
              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Use 16V caps on the VRM input next the the switching MOSFETs (3 caps). Not a good idea to use 16V on VRM output which runs at about 1.5V. Get 6.3V caps of the same capacitance here (six caps).
                Recommend Samxon GC series slightly better than Rubyon MCZ for VRM output.
                Big Pope can send you anything you need (size or quantity) by airmail if you can pay by Paypal.
                Just send him a private message from this forum.
                Last edited by davmax; 03-19-2008, 07:05 AM.
                Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                Samsung 18x DVD writer
                Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                33 way card reader
                Windows XP Pro SP3
                Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Thanks Davmax I must keep that in the brain box
                  GF series for Samxon (close to MCZ specs, slightly better)

Cheers

Comment

Hi, DavMax et al

I believe the input side of the VRM is actually 5V.
                    This is common for this generation of board.
                    Of course, to be sure, it would simlpy require a measurement
                    with a meter. It may also explain as to why ECS put
                    6.3V rated caps in there.

So... could we would agree 3 of 10V 2200uF for the I/P side of the VRM
                    and 6 of 6.3V 2200uF for the O/P side of the VRM?

I have one of these to recap for a friend presently.

Would help if someone had a cap replacement BOM
                    as I don't have the mobo in front of me.

May have to order the Pana FMs to do the job.

Thanks

Comment

When I take a trip to Fry's Electronics, I look at every ECS board they have on display. To a one, all have terrible, crappy caps installed.

Q: if one bought a new, cheap ECS board and recapped it properly, would they have a reliable board? Or are there other equally cheap parts in play?

Davmax, the Samxon GA has a significantly lower ESR than the GC/MCZ. I'm curious why GA was not recommended, and GC is recommended. Big Pope stocks them all, so I would think GA would be the premium choice. If I'm missing something here, please correct me.

To the OP, congratulations on restoring an ECS board to life.

Comment

Mama mia! Will this caps fiasco ever end?! Two of my K7S5A s just stopped POSTing (but no physical signs of cap damage - yet), an MSI-7184 (proprietary 939 with OEM equivalents), another MSI mATX, and an Acer F80M, ditto, no video. Fortunately (I think, I hope) fans still turning, stuff getting warm. One thing they all have in common - populated with all our old favourites like OST, G-Luxon, etc. No caps from the GOOD camp anywhere to be seen. Let's hope I can fix them before I have to send you the usual horror pics. Gonna be a long hot Summer.

Comment

Working...
                        X