X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

Originally posted by everell
    Xtreme LP-6100 400 watts(?) - looks a lot like PowMax (works)
    That is indeed a PowMax, but it's not an LP-6100 design like the cover says. It's a 7700A, similar to the power supply you posted above that.
    The Raptor LC-B400ATX is made by L&C/Deer. Yes, it's a crappy company as well.

Comment

Well, I finally went and bought a couple of these for my SuperMicro 1U's, but the design is different; they vent off the right-rear side of the PSU instead of straight out the back like ones already in my enclosures. So these won't work for me, at least not in these enclosures, but here are some pics of them anyway. They look pretty nice. Judges say?

Rackable Systems
      Model: 3F27-45-1

Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

FIRST rate! Problem is where can you get wires with plugs?

And you'll hate those fans. Loud whine.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Those good ol' delta whiners. Looks like it blows into the psu? I think it would be better to have it blowing air out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
            FIRST rate! Problem is where can you get wires with plugs?

And you'll hate those fans. Loud whine.

Cheers, Wizard
            Like I said, I can't use them in the enclosures I have, but they're just modular plugs, aren't they? The main 24-pin... not sure what the 8 pin is for, but the other two 4-pin are just regular accessory power for drives and such, correct?

Comment

From what I can tell reading about other power supplies, the 8-pin is a PCI-E x2, something to do with SLI that I don't care about. And as far as the side-vent, screw it, I grew up working in a body & paint shop; I'll just cut the sides of my 1U cases... they're never going to occupy an actual rack, again anyway!

Any suggestions for replacing those whiney fans? I'm not going to stress these supplies out. They are only going in dual-tualatin blade servers with a single hard drive and cd-rom.

Comment

I would just leave it. Any other fan that size is probalby not going to push enough air to adequately cool it, and if it did it would be a whiner too.

Comment

CoolMax AP-550X (V-500)
                  Fan froze up, became HotMax
                  Notice burn discolored areas on pc board.
                  3.3 volt and 12 volt wires on output side are burnt where they come out of pc board.
                  Six caps bulging.
                  Attached Files
                  Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

To think a few cents for a thermisistor mounted to the rectifier heatsink and a simple shutdown circuit could have prevented this.
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

looks like an atng i had here.
                      most coolmax are andyson.

Comment

Mitsuko KC-250 ATX (needs some fixin)
                        Note: one of bridge diodes gone and resistor beside it burnt.
                        Note: two resistors beside PWM chip DBL494 burned beyond recognition, also pc board
                        Note: 3 bulging output caps
                        Attached Files
                        Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Compaq Model HP-Q250GF3 250 watts
                          Attached Files

Comment

>>Compaq Model HP-Q250GF3 250 watts<<
                            Okay. I see the popped cap. But, what's up with the scorch/burn in between the mains caps?

What did you launch this time?

Toast
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

i guess that's where he desoldered the wires to the voltage selector switch.

i remove them most of the time and snip off all pins of that switch as it's not needed here..

and to prevent some idiots from "overclocking" their PC by setting it to 115V *boom* >.<

how dumb are some ppl ?!

"hm.. if i set that switch to 115V the PC should get double the voltage and OC better" ?!?

*argh*

edit: note: 230V here

Comment

Nah... Something torched in there and it looks like it's missing too.

Zoomed the area and attached it.

Toast
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Toasty; 04-20-2009, 03:08 AM.
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

Shucks - I thought you would say something comical about the Mitsuko PSU. I thought it was the bigger laugh!

As for the compaq PSU, there was a missing zener diode along with evidence of flash and burn. On the other side of the two big caps there was at one time another zener, but also flash and burn even more so. These two zeners were across the two big caps. Seems that each cap has a bleeder resistor and (had) a zener across it. I used rubbing alcohol and brush to clean the flash carbon. Powered it up - no 5VSB - the good ole two transistor circuit with the Chinese plague.

When working on these PSU boards, I like to remove them from the case, solder a jumper where the wires go to the 115V/230V switch. This is needed since we are running on 115VAC in this country. Then solder a power cord to the power connections and I am ready to start testing. (before power up, look for obvious problems, like burned parts, bulging caps, etc.)

Comment

zeners is stupid thing to put across voltage outputs for overvoltage protection which will assuredly blow up the PSU worse than well designed SMPS shutting down on overvoltage.

Cheers, Wizarsd

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                                      zeners is stupid thing to put across voltage outputs for overvoltage protection which will assuredly blow up the PSU worse than well designed SMPS shutting down on overvoltage.

Cheers, Wizarsd
                                      Err ... that is not Zener. It is M.O.V. or Metal Oxide Varistor. PCB reference number is ZNR ... There is no way to put Zener in that place... HIPRO won't made this kind of mistake, at least.
                                      Last edited by Brian C; 04-20-2009, 07:56 AM.

Comment

PSU maker turn out to be CHICONY POWER TECHNOLOGY CO LTD.
                                        http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/c...E/srchres.html

Comment

Everell >>Shucks - I thought you would say something comical about the Mitsuko PSU. I thought it was the bigger laugh!<<
                                          No, but if you had typed "Note:" one more time, I would have stapled one to your forehead.

Upon closer inspection, I see it's really a German vacuum cleaner part. Mit-sucko...
                                          ~NETZEIL UNTER GEFAHRLICHER SPANNUNG NICT VOM BENUTZER~

WOW!! No Spanish or French or *nese or Yiddish

Brian C >>Err... that is not Zener. It is M.O.V. or Metal Oxide Varistor. PCB reference number is ZNR... There is no way to put Zener in that place... HIPRO won't made this kind of mistake, at least.<<
                                          I take it you have one of these then? ZNR on the PCB would mean zener to me. Everell said it had a bleeder resistor across line caps too. I zoomed one of the pictures and you can see the *intact* MOV down behind the mains cap near the bridge rectifier.

Who or what is HIPRO? Are you referring to the Taiwan PSU manufacturer? Do you work for them? Why wouldn't they make this type of *mistake*?

Toast
                                          Attached Files
                                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                          X