This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

i got in a big pile of those in sparkle,aopen,and powerman brands.
    all identical except the label.
    even have the sane model number.with "noise killer"
    all full of fuhjjyu caps.
    odd but these all have 4700uf on 3.3&5
    but only a 1000 on 12.
    thats why they are noisy on 12
    i put a 2200@25 fc in the single +12 and the hash is almost immeasureable.
    several had bad yate loon fans too.

Comment

I have 4 of these, this one I suppose is the worst because it's putting out -16V on the -12V line.
      If it has one, check to see whether the 3-terminal regulator, probably either a 7912 or an LM320T-12, is shorted I/P to O/P.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

If it has one, check to see whether the 3-terminal regulator, probably either a 7912 or an LM320T-12, is shorted I/P to O/P.
        I'll try to find it sometime - there's several 3 terminal devices that I can't read the markings on. Thanks for the tip!

============

Here's a fake IBM Thinkpad power supply. I bought this on ebay not realizing it was a fake. It made my sister's laptop freeze and sometimes reset itself. The problem continued (less often) when she started using a real IBM unit. I ended up having to replace the motherboard to fix it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was originally caused by this PSU.

The "For IBM" wording got me suspicious, then I found this web site:
        http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/acadapter.html
        which made me realize this thing was bogus.
        Only today did I notice that they actually wrote "THINKR PAD" on the label.
        Attached Files

Comment

For the sake of anyone who tries to google or forum search for that adapter, I'd like to add these part numbers for the above "thinkrpad" AC adapter:

P/N: 02k6673
          FRU P/N: 02K6753
          And another number which appears highlighted on the label: 3892A300

If an admin could move this into my other post, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Comment

noname
            Attached Files

Comment

AN
              poster child for crap power supply!
              look at all that empty board space!
              Attached Files

Comment

It looks similar to the amount of open space in the Avance Technologies ATX12V-250MNF supplies that hang like an Albatross around my neck.

I have a client with several machines that rely on this non-standard shape PSU. This is the type where the fan protrudes out the rear of the PSU.

Another gripe is the crappy lil' eMachines PSU that use a half-thickness fan. I can't find a source for fan replacements, so the whole PSU becomes useless for want of a fan.

Gotta love those proprietary parts.

Comment

POS parts 1 and 2! Love those 1KVDC "Y-caps". I'd wear rubber gloves and a face shield if you turn those on, .
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Astec ATX202-3555 from a Gateway system.

All Japanese caps!
                    Nichicon LQ 470uF 200V primaries.
                    Nichicon PM 2200uF 10V on +5VSB rail.
                    Nichicon PM 2200uF 6.3V before and after inductors on +3.3V (30A 45V rectifier) and +5V (30A 45V rectifier) rails.
                    Nichicon PM 2200uF 16V on +12V (16A 200V rectifier) rail.
                    Rubycon YXG 470uF 16V before -12V inductor and Nippon Chemi-Con LXY 470uF 16V after it.
                    Attached Files
                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Astec makes quality stuff, but I don't know whether they do PC P/Ss any more.
                      PeteS in CA

Comment

Deltaco PSU-215 350w PSU

A decent PSU, got two dead comps for free, both with PSU problems... This is the first PSU, it was just a loose solder joint on the filter PCB from the power contact... (The other was a deer POS which I wont even bother to look at...)

2x 1000uF 16v & 4x 2200uf 10v United caps on secondary side. 2x 680uf 200v on primary side. (unknown brand)

Attached Files
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I thought Del Taco is a SoCal Mexican fast food chain. They do power supplies too? Seriously, the label says 350W, but 250-275 looks more realistic (given the large fan; otherwise 200W-225W).
                          PeteS in CA

Comment

ahhh you beat me to it!
                            deltaco.
                            ROFLOL!

Comment

Deer 250W PSU I had, from my very first computer (Celeron 466), lasted 6 years before giving up, went through many upgrades (P3 667, P3 933, TNT2, GF2MX, GF4MX, 13.6GB, 120GB) you can see the left over from a cap that blew
                              Was a el-cheapo $30 case freebie, back then I didn't know the plague of generics PSUs until all my friends came over me for PSU replacement

Deer 250W with CapXons, I had another one, different/newer revision, that lasted much less with leaking fake Rubycons

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Daijoubu; 03-19-2007, 09:20 PM.

Comment

MXR-200P AT PSU

Pulled this one from a Pentium S 150 Mhz unit with a 1mb VGA Card; 10/100 mbps land card (Realtek), 2 1.44 FDDs. Its 12v rail was only giving out 9 volts!!! Capacitors are "EVATOP."

BTW, sorry for the lousy pics this is the only digital camera of a sort that I own. :-(

Interestingly enough when i Google the model no. it came back to Badcaps. :-)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...oto=nextnewest
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by grss1982; 03-30-2007, 08:15 PM.
                                CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                                GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

GTR-4200

Yes. That is an aluminum casing. Googled it but found nothing. :-(

Its allegedly a 420w.

Fuhjyuu caps mostly.

Again, apologies for the lousy pics.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by grss1982; 04-01-2007, 08:02 AM.
                                  CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                                  GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

prudent way "400"
                                    note name on fan!
                                    Attached Files

Comment

note also known crapcaps and line-ground caps without ul,csa, rating

Comment

2themax HE370PRO
                                        Attached Files

Comment

FSP Bluestorm 350w w/ Passive PFC (FSP350-60THN-P)

FSP Bluestorm fanswap

I swapped out the noisy fan for a 1200rpm max fan the moment I got it. The quiet fan is connected to the PSU's onboard controller. This has been running with a quiet fan for over 2 yrs. It has been in service in a casing with very low/bad airflow. I opened up the PSU a few days ago. All caps look fine. Never regretted the purchase!

Here are the pictures.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X