Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help for repair Gigabyte GA-7VT600-1394

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
    A DDR400 + AGP 8x board with only a 20-pin and everything on 5v?
    - No wonder the power connector committed suicide.

20 and 24 pin Molex are only rated for 6 amps/pin.

6-amps x 5v x 4-pins = 120 watts and your done..

5x PCI - up to 50 watts [PCI is spec'ed for 2 amps on 5v - each slot]
    AGP 8x - up to 42 watts
    Takes CPUs up to 79 watts
    Plus RAM, LAN, Sound and USB.....

I'm thinkin' it's REAL easy to burn-out the power connector on this board if you aren't doing the math for loading.
    79 watts? That's nothing, AFAIK! A stock Barton is probably 75 watts or about that!
    I'm probably doing close to 130 watts easily with an OC'ed Barton alone! Especially if I crank the Vcore to 1.85V.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Looking again those 6.3V 470uF Lelon "RGA", they look more like 6.3mm than 5mm.
      If they are 6.3mm then I would upgrade to FC or something as mentioned before.
      -
      I treat 220uF and up 6.3mm as I do 8&10mm caps.
      Under 220uF I treat 6.3mm as the 4&5mm caps.
      That's just how -I- do it.... I'm more picky than most.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
        79 watts? That's nothing, AFAIK! A stock Barton is probably 75 watts or about that!
        I'm probably doing close to 130 watts easily with an OC'ed Barton alone! Especially if I crank the Vcore to 1.85V.
        Thanks for your opinion but the max Barton the board takes is the 3200+ which has a TDP of 79.2 watts.
        http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/support-d....aspx?pid=1667
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...0.2C_130_nm.29
        Stock 1.65v @ 79.2w => 48a and 0.03437ohm
        0.03437ohm @ 1.85v doesn't even break 100w.
        Regardless, you'd have to be insane to OC on a board with such a crappy power plan.
        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-08-2010, 06:43 PM.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Hi people, i asked to italian rubycon distributor how can i obtain MBZ/MCZ cap series.
          They reply me they contacted rubycon to ask a provision of both MBZ/MCZ of the type i asked :

1000uF 6.3
          1200uF 6.3
          1500uF 6.3
          3300uF 6.3

Today the italian distributor tell me that Rubycon will outdate this series and Rubycon propose to them

6.3 ZLG M EFC

for all the values.

What do you think about this serie? After a search i discovered them not so new, are you esperienced with them in motherborad replacement?

Comment

ZLG are motherboard grade but whoever at Rubycon told you they are adequate to replace MBZ or MCZ was an idiot.
            That is clearly an evaluation made by a sales/marketing type 'corporate suit' and not by an engineer or tech that actually knows something about electronics.
            [Why don't you send said idiot a link to this post.]

ZLG are generally -NOT- suitable replacements for MBZ or MCZ.
            ZLG are ABSOLUTELY NOT 'direct replacements' for MBZ or MCZ.
            ZLG are generally -NOT- suitable for VRM use on modern motherboards.

Series - Size - Ripple - ESR
            ZLG - 8x20mm - 1600 - 0.020
            MBZ - 8x20mm - 1870 - 0.019
            MCZ - 8x20mm - 2350 - 0.012
            - ZLG 8mm handles 14% less Ripple and has 5% more ESR than MBZ
            - ZLG 8mm handles 32% less Ripple and has 67% more ESR than MCZ
            [14% less Ripple is a big deal...]

Series - Size - Ripple - ESR
            ZLG - 10x20mm - 2180 - 0.014
            MBZ - 10x20mm - 2550 - 0.013
            MCZ - 10x20mm - 2770 - 0.011
            - ZLG 10mm handles 17% less Ripple and has 8 % more ESR than MBZ
            - ZLG 10mm handles 79% less Ripple and has 27% more ESR than MCZ

If the old cap is short [say 8x15mm] and you use a longer ZLG [say 8x20mm] then -occasionally- the larger can size will compensate for ZLG being a lesser grade cap, but you will need to check both data sheets for the specific caps to know for sure.
            The problem is there won't always be a long enough ZLG with the correct uF/volts and sometimes extra long caps simply won't fit due to clearance issues.

AFAIK MBZ was already dropped.
            If Rubycon intends to drop MCZ too and you need motherboard-VRM grade caps in bulk then your contact options are:
            [In order of my personal preference.]
            Panasonic about their FJ and FL series. [FL are custom ordered. No data sheet. Don't think you can buy them.]
            Suncon [Formerly the Sanyo electrolytic cap division, now their own company.] about their WG series.
            Nichicon about their HM, HN or HZ series'.
            Or [last choice] Samxon about their GD, GC or GA series'.
            [Equivalencies, least to best grade]
            MBZ=WG=HM=GD=[FJ in 10mm sizes]
            FJ 8mm are in between MBZ and MCZ.
            MCZ=HN=GC
            HZ and GA are better specs than MCZ but expensive so you might as well use solid polymer instead.
            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-10-2010, 02:55 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

Really bad.

I asked to the official italian distributor, very friendly, because they don't sell to privates.
              They told me that they don't have MBZ/MCZ no more, but they asked me what type and number i need because they would ask a sampling, Today they responded to me that Rubycon responded to them proposing ZLG.
              At the moment italian distributor don't have ZLG too, and if i accept , they would order a sampling of ZLG only for me.
              It's really BAD that someone in Rubycon proposet these caps to them.

Comment

I should note that Chemicon KZG and KZJ are comparable to Rubycon MBZ and MCZ respectively, however KZG and KZJ are not recommended due to high failure rates.
                Other Chemicon series don't have those problems.

Looks like Rubycon is going to market themselves right out of the main stream.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

How is it that a 0.01 reduction in ESR amounts to 5% less? Surely the difference is miniscule?
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

.019/.020 = 0.95 [aka 95%]
                    Oh and,
                    100% - 95% = 5%

They sell calculators at the dollar store now.
                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Not so fast... .001 and .01 are not the same are they? 1/100th is not the same as 1/1000th...
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I dunno where you shit .01 from.
                        Besides, as I pointed out the concern between those two is the difference in the Ripple.
                        270 mA less per cap is significant, particularly in a VRM Vcore side where loss per cap will be multiplied by the number of caps in parallel.
                        Given the specified caps and a fairly common 8 cap VRM Vcore the overall loss of Ripple capability would be over 2 amps.
                        [For your benefit: 0.270 x 8 = 2.16 ]

.020 - .019 = .001
                        And .001 is 5% of .020 [Which is what I said.]

I REALLY suggest you get that calculator.
                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-10-2010, 10:35 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that impedance is measured in Ohms? (Yes, I'm aware that impedance does not always equal ESR, but let's stick with impedance for now) Where' I'm getting confused is this...

I am assuming that when a capacitor's impedance is measured as 0.020, it is 0.020 of 1 Ohm... So my assumption is that 0.020th of an ohm is not that much more than 0.019th of an ohm. That's why I asked the question. I'm not questioning your arithmetic.

Comment

Yes, the Impedance units are Ohms.

At 100 kHz [the frequency used in data sheets] the total impedance is due almost entirely to ESR.
                            - That's because at around 100 kHz Xc and Xl are nearly equal and they effectively cancel each other out leaving only the effects of ESR.
                            [Long thread on that with all the math buried somewhere in the forum here.]
                            That's why [one reason] they use 100 kHz in the data sheets and why impedance and ESR are used interchangeably as the heading in the data sheets from manufacturer to manufacturer [or even from series to series sometimes].

So: 0.020 ohm = 20 milliohms and 0.019 ohm = 19 milliohms.
                            And the difference is 0.001 ohm = 1 milliohm.

The 1870 from above is mA and = 1.87 Amps. [And that's ONLY for the Ripple.]
                            -
                            But all that doesn't affect the % of change between the two caps so I don't understand where the question is coming from.

.001 Ohms isn't much different but -as I said twice now- the Ripple Rating is the problem in that comparison.
                            That 2.16 amps is 2.16 amps OF RIPPLE,,,, [Nothing to do with DC power amps.]
                            -

Lets say you have 35mV Ripple on x8 of that .019 ohms / 1870 mA cap.
                            [x8 parallel => 0.002375 Ohms and 14.96 amps max.]
                            35mV across that ohms gives 14.74 amps of Ripple Current through the cap.

Now you have the same 35mV Ripple on x8 of the .020 ohms / 1600 mA caps.
                            [x8 parallel => 0.0025 Ohms and 12.80 amps max]
                            35mV across that ohms gives 14.0 amps, which exceeds the Ripple Current rating.
                            -> Those caps will overheat and die young...

And that's why ZLG is not suitable to replace MBZ or better when MBZ or better are called for.
                            [Except when the ZLG is longer [larger can] to the point of making it's ESR and Ripple match or exceed the MBZ's specs.]
                            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-11-2010, 02:07 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

.020 - .019 = .001
                              And .001 is 5% of .020 [Which is what I said.]
                              So you can see why I had some doubts here. Your logic was .020 - .019 = .001 and .001 constitutes a 5% discrepancy in the ESR rating.

But it doesn't. Effectively, you finally answered my question by admitting that you're using a multiplier to your equation which is also the discrepancy in the ripple.

Speaking of ZL, I have an Asus P4S533-VM with some of them in the VRM here. Not doubting what you say, just letting you know.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                So you can see why I had some doubts here. Your logic was .020 - .019 = .001 and .001 constitutes a 5% discrepancy in the ESR rating.
                                No, I can't see why you had doubts.
                                A grade school kid could understand it.
                                - And you remark is complete bull shit.

It DOES constitute a 5% discrepancy in the ESR rating.
                                Those numbers compare one cap to one cap and the discrepancy IS 5%.
                                There is NO multiplier involved in that statement at at all. - None.

What I said is 100% correct.
                                It's basic math.
                                You obviously need some help with that.
                                I'm sure there are remedial math classes available in your area.

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-11-2010, 02:56 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

No one spoke of ZL.

ZL ESR is roughly twice that of ZLG.

So, are you offering further evidence that Asus builds crap or was this a recap by someone that doesn't know what they're doing?
                                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-11-2010, 03:02 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

It DOES constitute a 5% discrepancy in the ESR rating.
                                    Those numbers compare one cap to one cap and the discrepancy IS 5%.
                                    There is NO multiplier involved in that statement at at all. - None.
                                    Ok, so assuming the caps had the same ripple, you're saying that 0.020 of one ohm is 5% more than 0.019?

No, these caps most certainly are stock. There's three of them with 6 6.3V 3300uF Nichicon HMs by the VRM (Which need to be replaced). They could have used the same principle you mentioned of using higher ESR caps by overcompensating with lower ESR ones.

Comment

The earlier discussion specified Vcore caps [CPU side of VRM].
                                      ZL [and ZL grade] aren't all that uncommon on the other side [PSU side] of the VRM.
                                      They have room for big caps on the PSU side so ZL can be made to work.
                                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-11-2010, 03:43 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

PSU side is handling noise made by the switchers in the PSU and that has already gone through the PSU O/P filter caps.

CPU side is handling noise made by the VRM MOSFETs and there aren't any other filters to reduce the Ripple before it gets to them.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                          Here are some pics:

The black ones are the KZJ and the blue ones are MBZ.
                                          On the board are scattered 6.3V 1000uF KZJ, the green ones are 6.3V 470uF Lelon "RGA", and in between the coils on the side of the PCIe 16 slot are two GSC 16V 470uF "NK" caps. The tiny caps on the far left are a mix of Teapo SEK which I'm sure need not be replaced.

Higher res pics attached.
                                          Success!

12 x Lelon "RGA" 6.3V 470uF replaced with Panasonic "NHG"
                                          11 x UCC "KZJ" 6.3V 1000uF replaced with Nichicon "HN"
                                          7 x UCC "KZJ" 6.3V 3300uF replaced with Samxon "GC"
                                          2 x GSC "LE" 16V 470uF replaced with Panasonic "FC" (Had to go to 25V to match the ESR)

Order was almost completely done from Mouser but I couldn't for their 6.3V 3300uF Nichicon HN caps to arrive February. Only other options were Rubycon MCZ or Samxon GC.

For Lelon "RGA" I used general purpose Panasonic "NHG" capacitor. Is this OK? Datasheet

Thank you PCBONEZ for your assistance.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by mockingbird; 01-11-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X